Topic: Request for the Best Inspirational Books for BC Patients

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Feb 10, 2011 01:34PM

Posted on: Feb 10, 2011 01:34PM

LisaKy wrote:

I've never been a daily reader, but I would like to get some books to read that will help inspire me to keep going though my treatments. I'm feeling really depressed and hopeless right now. I'm in my 7th week of "AC" treatments and just feeling really bad. If you have a book that you've read that really inspired you, please reply.

Thanks, Lisa

Thanks, Lisa Dx 12/3/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 2 of 2 (15 results)

Apr 24, 2011 01:58PM jelson wrote:

Suzanne Strempek Shea is a talented fiction writer who wrote a book about her own experiences with breast cancer diagnosis and treatment titled Songs frok a Lead Lined Room. although she did not have chemo, she describes how the "weeks of daily 10-minute procedures, five days a week, brought on self-isolation and fatigue in a limbo-like state, despite her relatively easy regular life as a stay-at-home writer. Shea's journey to understanding and appreciating her overall good fortune is a self-revelation..." She then wrote a book about gradually returning to the world via working in a book store that book is named Shelf Life. She has gone on to write other non-fiction including Sundays in America: Churches. She describes her visits to churches all over the US - all denominations and sizes. 

Dx 4/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jul 16, 2011 04:08AM Foxlairfrm wrote:

I have to agree that Bernie Siegel's books are so inspiring. The book "love, miracles and medicine" was unbelievable! My husband and I both read it. Over the last 15 years of worrying this monster would return, (which it did) I found such comfort in his books and bought some of his tapes as well. Check him,out
Deborah

Original dx 1996. Mets to a LOT of bones 2010. living every minute to it's fullest! Dx 10/18/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, 8/11 nodes, ER+/PR-

Oct 5, 2011 03:50AM - edited Oct 5, 2011 03:50AM by Laural

My favorite has been There's No Place Like Hope (Beating Cancer in Mind-Sized Bites) by Vickie Girard. It is written in short little snippets, good for days when you are short on time. You can find it on amazon.com. I also have liked Lynn Eib's books, When God & Cancer Meet and Finding the Light in Cancer's Shadow.

Dx 9/18/11; Stage 1 IDC on left, 1.2 cm. Grade 2, 0/2 nodes positive; Stage 1 ILC on right, 1 cm. Grade 2, 0/13 nodes positive; Acute leukemia as young adult and secondary MDS ever since. Through it all, God is faithful.

Jan 25, 2015 06:14PM msphil wrote:

sweetie,i wrote a book about my experience with breast cancer while preparing for my wedding, several women said it indeed made a difference for them,plus some sales go to American Cancer. Society to help others, book is The Healings Of Breast Cancer, A Physical and Spiritual Healing Of My Body n Soul. MrsPhyllis Alexander

Feb 27, 2015 06:19AM NSierra wrote:

A couple of books I've found helpful and inspiring: Kitchen Table Wisdom and My Grandfather's Blessing By Rachel Naomi Remen. She is a noted doctor and deals primarily with cancer patients and emotional issues. I think my first tactic was to try and soldier my way through things and her stories brought me to tears--the good healing kind. It felt like an iceberg melting. The other book I'm finding enormously helpful is The Healer Inside You by Neil Orr and David Patient. It's not well-known in the U.S. but is available on Amazon kindle. It's an 'activist' book aimed at strengthening your immune system through psychoimmunology techniques. It's a bit of work to do the exercises but I'm finding them amazingly helpful and empowering. One example:they point out that most people focus on wanting to live because they have children or other people to care for. You need joy and adventures and goals for your own life and there is quite a bit of work on this. Daunting at first but then it became very energizing. Best wishes on your journey to healing!

Page 2 of 2 (15 results)

Scroll to top button