Topic: "The most ENCOURAGING things said to you during your journey"

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Sep 7, 2011 07:04PM - edited Jun 7, 2012 10:29PM by ToriGirl

Posted on: Sep 7, 2011 07:04PM - edited Jun 7, 2012 10:29PM by ToriGirl

ToriGirl wrote:

Sisters,

I think we can always use another "feel good" thread, so I thought this one would be a good one to go with...

I know we already have a thread for the dumbest and worst things people have said to you during our journeys, but how about the most encouraging things said to or done for you?

I've read many posts throughout BC.org where doctors, nurses, techs, therapists, friends, spouses, partners, family members and other survivors have been exactly where we have needed them to be at the right time and said exactly what we needed to hear when we needed it the most.  (Or for that matter, have DONE exactly what what we needed them to do without even asking)

These are the words and acts of kindness that have stuck with us, whether it was from early on when we first got our diagnosis to when we ended active treatment and started to move on with our new "normal". They kept us going and continue to do so, as we move onto better, happier, and healthier days ahead.

Please share these comments, stories, remarks, acts of kindness, quotes, (whatever you'd like), that have most encouraged you and still encourage you today...OR share how you have "paid it forward" to someone else who is going through this journey, when they needed it most.  Whatever your heart has to share, please feel free to do so.

What you share today, may be the one thing that someone on the board needs to hear right now.

Thanks so much! 

Tori 

DE COLORES! 

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 39 (384 results)

Sep 7, 2011 07:06PM truebff wrote:

A survivor of ten+ years and dear friend said:

"It will get better. It will get better. It will get better."

Dx 7/13/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 7, 2011 07:19PM specialk wrote:

This wasn't a specific thing someone said - I am a military wife and have friends scattered all over the country.  I realized that on the first chemo day I received texts from them as I was sitting in the chair.  From that point on I didn't tell them specifically when the next chemo was, but they all knew it would be 3 weeks later - so on their own they all calendared it, and for every chemo after they texted me.  These are not people who know each other - they all did this independently!  It was amazing and helped me so much to know they were thinking of me at that moment.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Sep 7, 2011 08:37PM dlb823 wrote:

Nice thread, ToriGirl.  I hope you get lots of responses!  

When I was first dx'd, a 12-year survivor friend in another state sent me this encouragement that her yoga teacher had shared with her when she was first dx'd:  "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow."  I read that so many times throughout my journey, and have shared it with many others.  And it's always given me strength.

Another one was when I was facing a mx and feeling oddly detached from what was going on, and a wonderful PA (a bc survivor herself), got my attention with what seemed like such an odd but thought-provoking comment.  She said, "This experience absolutely is going to change you -- for the better.  I don't know how it will, because we're all different.  But trust me, it will!" 

And then, shortly after I finished my tx and was feeling completely out of step with life, I was at a very large cocktail party (like 500+ ppl.), and struck up a conversation with a young woman who, kind of out of the blue, shared this with me:  "When something traumatic happens to us, we must find a way to use it for good, or we will continue to be its victim."  She had been a Bosnian War refugee, and I believe that running into her that night was absolutely "a God thing."       Deanna

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Sep 7, 2011 11:59PM ToriGirl wrote:

Thanks ladies!  Love these already!  Let's see how many more we can get!  This is gonna be a GREAT thread, I just know it!

Peace and love

Tori 

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 8, 2011 12:07AM thegoodfight wrote:

My husband and grown children telling me how proud they were of me.................

Dx 7/14/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 8, 2011 12:08AM CoolBreeze wrote:

During my journey?

"This plane won't crash, don't worry."

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Sep 8, 2011 07:04AM voraciousreader wrote:

"You're NOT on the Titanic."

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Sep 8, 2011 07:44AM Paula66 wrote:

My husband isnt a man of many words and I know this and love him and have for the last 22 yrs.  He has never been one with his words but shows it through his actions.  When I had my BMX on a Wednesday with a hospital stay until Friday, he never left my side.  This has meant more to me then anything in this world.   

Fight Like a Girl!!! Dx 10/24/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 8, 2011 08:19AM LuvRVing wrote:

I've been on a journey, not as long as the Stage IV gals, but longer than most (15 months with about 7 more to go). 

I have a dear friend who is a 3-time survivor and she told me "you don't have time for one negative thought." 

I have been blogging since this all began in June 2010, and I was so encouraged when I was told that my blog was helping people I didn't even know.  Someone from Canada actually posted a comment asking me to write more, that she was newly-diagnosed and found my blog extremely helpful.  At that particular time, I was thought to be NED and I had not been writing regularly.  I thought it was such a compliment that someone I didn't even know was being helped by something I was publishing. 

My friends have made comments on my strength, my courage, my positive approach to everything I've been through.  People I've never met in person comment on my blog entries, that it stirs their emotions in a positive way.  That is such a good feeling. 

But the best thing of all, the thing that brought tears to my eyes, was after one of my blog entries, when my 35-year-old daughter wrote a Facebook comment stating how proud she was of me. 

And now, our entire family, we never end a phone coversation or leave each other's company without saying "I love you."

Michelle

Michelle - read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com - Be kind to one another! Dx 6/15/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 4/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 8, 2011 03:20PM ToriGirl wrote:

Thanks for sharing ladies!  Keep them coming.....I know it will be a comfort to many who read.

Tori 

Page 1 of 39 (384 results)

Scroll to top button