We are 190,706 members in 81 forums discussing 142,323 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Biographies and Inspiring Stories → Topic: "The most ENCOURAGING things said to you during your journey"

Topic: "The most ENCOURAGING things said to you during your journey"

Forum: Biographies and Inspiring Stories —

Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Sep 7, 2011 05:04PM - edited Jun 7, 2012 08:29PM by ToriGirl

ToriGirl wrote:

Sisters,

I think we can always use another "feel good" thread, so I thought this one would be a good one to go with...

I know we already have a thread for the dumbest and worst things people have said to you during our journeys, but how about the most encouraging things said to or done for you?

I've read many posts throughout BC.org where doctors, nurses, techs, therapists, friends, spouses, partners, family members and other survivors have been exactly where we have needed them to be at the right time and said exactly what we needed to hear when we needed it the most.  (Or for that matter, have DONE exactly what what we needed them to do without even asking)

These are the words and acts of kindness that have stuck with us, whether it was from early on when we first got our diagnosis to when we ended active treatment and started to move on with our new "normal". They kept us going and continue to do so, as we move onto better, happier, and healthier days ahead.

Please share these comments, stories, remarks, acts of kindness, quotes, (whatever you'd like), that have most encouraged you and still encourage you today...OR share how you have "paid it forward" to someone else who is going through this journey, when they needed it most.  Whatever your heart has to share, please feel free to do so.

What you share today, may be the one thing that someone on the board needs to hear right now.

Thanks so much! 

Tori 

DE COLORES! 

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 13 of 13 (368 results)

Posts 361 - 368 (368 total)

Jul 8, 2017 04:24PM burner wrote:

I was talking to my brother about how my recovery goals include making sure that my husband and parents, brother are taken care of should things go south with my health again, and that I would ask my brother and my husband to still socialize and look after each other (neither have kids) should I die before they do. Even if my husband were to re-marry or whatever.

My brother said, "Of course. I had an epiphany decades ago that Mr. Burner was family. It wasn't right after your wedding. Maybe it was years later. I can't remember. But at one point, I knew that he was always going to be my family because of you."

It made me feel so full of love to hear that.

Dx 12/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement

Jul 10, 2017 02:03PM nayda985 wrote:

I am so happy I found this thread...I have been reading the past posts..they have made me cry tears of joy and some made me laugh and smile.

After finishing radiation in May....I was feeling the fatigue very bad that I was just crying one evening and he happened to walk in the room and said what's wrong...I said everything is wrong..I am just ugly and flat chested and my skin is coming off from radiation...when I finished with my venting about myself...His reply was ...stop talking about my wife like that because she is none of those things you just said..and my wife is a beautiful and strong sexy woman and nothing will ever take that away from her...I instantly stopped crying and held him tight and held my head high...I said back you dayum right...lol

I love that man🤗

34 years old, mother to 3, wife, sister, daughter, Loved Dx 7/26/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IIIA, ER+ Chemotherapy 8/26/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/24/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/17/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/9/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Jul 10, 2017 04:20PM Herculesmulligan wrote:

awwwwww.....I love that man too and I've never met him. Tell him I said "way to hold with the encouragement "

Jul 10, 2017 06:49PM Falconer wrote:

Yessssss, nayda985!!!!!!!!
Strong is the new strong. Dx at 45. Onco 16. Monthly Lupron shots. Dx 7/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2016, DCIS, Left, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/29/2017 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jul 10, 2017 07:14PM Tappermom383 wrote:

I think we all want to clone nayda's DH! At the very least we can reread his words and pretend someone is saying them to us. Keep hanging on tight, nayda!

MJ

Diagnosed at 70 after four excisional biopsies over the course of 47 years. MammaPrint came back Low Risk. DexaScan: osteopenia. Dx 3/23/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 7/17/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 10, 2017 10:43PM nayda985 wrote:

😁

34 years old, mother to 3, wife, sister, daughter, Loved Dx 7/26/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IIIA, ER+ Chemotherapy 8/26/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/24/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/17/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/9/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Jul 16, 2017 07:13AM - edited Jul 16, 2017 07:19AM by TampaBayBucsGirl

The encouragement I received that kept me going was in the form of actions. It wasn't anything that was specifically said to me.

First of all, my wonderful employer allowed me to work at home all through chemotherapy. That was a huge thing for me. It kept my mind going the whole time. My coworkers helped out by understanding that I had chemo brain (LOL!) from time to time. They also got together and made me a basket of chemo care items. It was the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for me. They also took pictures of themselves and photo shopped them to appear bald. I still have those pictures on my office desk and plan to make a collage out of it. My director gave me one of those breast cancer themed bracelets (with charms) when I returned to the office (during radiation therapy). She picked it up while on vacation. Made me feel like I was a special part of the team (no matter what).

My husband was also very important in all of this. He took over many things that needed to be done around the house. He took me to every infusion appointment. He's my rock. I don't know what I would have done without him. I'm tearing up just thinking about all of this.

Anyway, all of this has kept me going and made me a better person. I look at things a whole lot differently now. It's all thanks to these wonderful people (and my mom). I can't forget my mom. Happy

Nayda - Your husband is definitely a keeper! I had a moment like that as well. Lately, my husband keeps telling me to stop wearing my wig. He says I look better without it. He must be blind.

Dx 9/29/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 12/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/2/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 3/1/2017 Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 18, 2017 08:10PM bcincolorado wrote:

Not long after my mastectomy one of my dear friends gave me a laminated saying from Liz Curtis Higgs that says basically each morning when you get up and stare in the mirror naked just say "ta-da!" and smile! You are live and as you are intended to be right now in your life. There is more but it is the jist of it. I have it on my mirror to this day!

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Page 13 of 13 (368 results)