Topic: "The most ENCOURAGING things said to you during your journey"

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Sep 7, 2011 07:04PM - edited Jun 7, 2012 10:29PM by ToriGirl

Posted on: Sep 7, 2011 07:04PM - edited Jun 7, 2012 10:29PM by ToriGirl

ToriGirl wrote:

Sisters,

I think we can always use another "feel good" thread, so I thought this one would be a good one to go with...

I know we already have a thread for the dumbest and worst things people have said to you during our journeys, but how about the most encouraging things said to or done for you?

I've read many posts throughout BC.org where doctors, nurses, techs, therapists, friends, spouses, partners, family members and other survivors have been exactly where we have needed them to be at the right time and said exactly what we needed to hear when we needed it the most.  (Or for that matter, have DONE exactly what what we needed them to do without even asking)

These are the words and acts of kindness that have stuck with us, whether it was from early on when we first got our diagnosis to when we ended active treatment and started to move on with our new "normal". They kept us going and continue to do so, as we move onto better, happier, and healthier days ahead.

Please share these comments, stories, remarks, acts of kindness, quotes, (whatever you'd like), that have most encouraged you and still encourage you today...OR share how you have "paid it forward" to someone else who is going through this journey, when they needed it most.  Whatever your heart has to share, please feel free to do so.

What you share today, may be the one thing that someone on the board needs to hear right now.

Thanks so much! 

Tori 

DE COLORES! 

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 39 (384 results)

Sep 10, 2011 01:11AM Ang7 wrote:

My neighbor said "I was diagnosed with BC 20 years ago...stick with me kid!"

Funny how this gave me peace.

Very pleased Penguin Cold Cap user Dx 5/25/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Sep 10, 2011 01:12AM Estepp wrote:

Kind of a different twist for me.

Two years ago... I had finished chemo... surgery... and was onto rads....

I tiny , quiet woman...... that I had seen at rads 30 days of the 36 I needed to be there, came sneaking up to me. She said to me:

" I have watched you come in here, like me, for a month.... you come in here smiling... strong.... with such GRACE....." As I watch YOU... I know.... that I can do this. I know.... I can just keep movin'... just like YOU. You just... keep movin'... like you know you are going to live. "

This woman moved me. I went home... and made her a Key chain.... out of beads.  The key chain said..........." Keep Movin' "                I gave this to her in a gift bag the last day of my radiation.  Seeing her open it.... seeing her tears.... seeing her face.... a face that was SO fearful.... loose fear right in front of me........ I KNEW.... 100% that what I had  " given her" was in actuality...... the GIFT and support I NEEDED at the end of my Journey.

So... the title of this thread was asking for Encouraging things said to " us" during our journey...... and for me..... it was something I actually gave to someone else...... to help THEM..... is what helped ME the most.

Gods Love

Laura

We are the Ta Ta Sisterhood! Her2+ BC is what I had.... and yes sisters.. I had lymph node involvement...Plus Radiation AND Implant only Reconstruction. DX 6/25/08

Sep 10, 2011 01:17AM ruthbru wrote:

Beautiful! and shows that we can MAKE something good come out of this whole experience if we choose to do so.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 10, 2011 01:28AM Estepp wrote:

Amen ! So true ruthbru......

We are the Ta Ta Sisterhood! Her2+ BC is what I had.... and yes sisters.. I had lymph node involvement...Plus Radiation AND Implant only Reconstruction. DX 6/25/08

Sep 10, 2011 10:13AM kks_rd wrote:

I absolutely love this thread. Thank you!!

I have lots of examples but the one that comes to mind first happened shortly after I was dx'ed - during that period of time when you're all shock and fear with no real plan in place yet.  I had started an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the journey's "transactions" - who I talked with and when, what out-of-pocket expenses I had paid, etc.  My boyfriend noticed it one day and asked about it... I told him how important I felt it was to document everything... to which he said...  "Document the fact that I love you."  So I did, it's right there in the header of my spreadsheet and I see it every time I open it up to add to the database.  Very sweet and a reminder that he would beby my side throughout.

Hmm, thinking about that spreadsheet reminds me of another uplifting comment.  I was telling my brother about how I was organizing all this info.  He said something along the lines of "That soundss very 'manager' of you." (I am in management in my career.)  I said, "Manager? I hope to be the CEO over this whole situation."  He built off it by then saying, "Not only are you the CEO, you're the CFO, the CIO, the CMO.... the freakin' Board of Directors!"  We got a great laugh out of it and it was an awesome reminder of my own role and power in all this.

~Kat~ Neoadjuvant DD AC x4, T x4; PFC 9/15/11. Partial mx & SNB 10/18/11; reexcised 11/15/11. Rads x30 whole breast, x8 boosts; DONE 2/14/12. Metformin clinical trial 'til 12/2016. Dx 4/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 10, 2011 01:38PM anonymice wrote:

My Oncologist telling my bf and I "We will help you."

Dx 9/22/2010, IBC, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Sep 10, 2011 01:39PM anonymice wrote:

Beautiful, Laura.  

This is one of the best threads, ever.   

Dx 9/22/2010, IBC, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Sep 10, 2011 02:06PM ANA_424 wrote:

I'm so happy to see more posts here.

The one I was thinking about today came from a co-worker/friend. It was soon after I told a bunch of co-workers about my diagnosis last spring. I did it at a company conference, partly because it was the time I wanted to tell them and partly because some people were in town that I would not get to tell in person otherwise. Afterwards, I laughingly called it my "path of destruction" as I worked my way through the crowd, looking for people to share the bad news with. I felt kind of bad about that, but it was just the way it was.

So there was this line in the card that she sent: "Don't worry about anyone's reactions (I don't know that you are but just-in-case) - we just want to support you and hope you feel that."

I've remembered that so many times through the last few months. I have a tendency to wonder if I've said the wrong thing, told too much, made the wrong decision, or that others don't understand - but I remember that line and just think that I should not worry about anyone's reactions. It kind of stops that negative thought line before it gets very far.

44 years old when diagnosed. UMX w/TE on 5/26/11.Completed 4 X TC on 9/8!. Exchange 10/28. Whew. Dx 4/28/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 10, 2011 02:22PM suemed8749 wrote:

Great thread! I love my onc's PA - I remember a time right after chemo, still doing Herceptin, when she started to discuss osteopenia tx with me - I tried to blow it off, but she said, 'You're going to live a long time and you're going to need those bones!"  My onc also said pretty much the same thing when he told me that I needed to schedule appointments with my PCP and gyno - he told me, "You're back! Take care of yourself."

Also - when my PS took the bandage off after my uni mast with TE - he left the room, and I just wanted to get dressed as quickly as possible. My DH grabbed me and took a long look and told me how wonderful it looked. He's not exactly effusive, so that meant a lot.

Dx 1/15/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Sep 10, 2011 05:58PM ToriGirl wrote:

Awwww man, here come the tears!  You ladies are magnificient!  I can't wait to see this thread each time I get online...it's getting better and better, and for that, I THANK YOU!

Tori

DE COLORES! 

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 39 (384 results)

Scroll to top button