Topic: "The most ENCOURAGING things said to you during your journey"

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Sep 7, 2011 07:04PM - edited Jun 7, 2012 10:29PM by ToriGirl

Posted on: Sep 7, 2011 07:04PM - edited Jun 7, 2012 10:29PM by ToriGirl

ToriGirl wrote:

Sisters,

I think we can always use another "feel good" thread, so I thought this one would be a good one to go with...

I know we already have a thread for the dumbest and worst things people have said to you during our journeys, but how about the most encouraging things said to or done for you?

I've read many posts throughout BC.org where doctors, nurses, techs, therapists, friends, spouses, partners, family members and other survivors have been exactly where we have needed them to be at the right time and said exactly what we needed to hear when we needed it the most.  (Or for that matter, have DONE exactly what what we needed them to do without even asking)

These are the words and acts of kindness that have stuck with us, whether it was from early on when we first got our diagnosis to when we ended active treatment and started to move on with our new "normal". They kept us going and continue to do so, as we move onto better, happier, and healthier days ahead.

Please share these comments, stories, remarks, acts of kindness, quotes, (whatever you'd like), that have most encouraged you and still encourage you today...OR share how you have "paid it forward" to someone else who is going through this journey, when they needed it most.  Whatever your heart has to share, please feel free to do so.

What you share today, may be the one thing that someone on the board needs to hear right now.

Thanks so much! 

Tori 

DE COLORES! 

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 5 of 39 (384 results)

Sep 10, 2011 06:38PM claire_in_seattle wrote:

Not just what people said, but what they did......

1. My friends who participated in my Global Virtual Wine Party on the evening of my surgery to celebrate extirpating the cancer from my body.  And my friend who continued to "drink wine to make sure his prayers were on track".
  2. My friend who flew across the country to be with me during surgery.
  3. The rector of my church who sat down with me to prepare me spiritually for the journey ahead.
  4. My surgeon who did an amazing job and then celebrated with me when only one lymph node affected.
  5. My clinical nurse who was there for me throughout and encouraged me to keep active.
  6. My friends who cycled with me during chemo.
  7. The guy in my life who never thought I was less than beautiful.
  8. The people who offered to run errands for me.  Fortunately, I never needed to take them up on their offer.  One would have taken a bus each way after work.
  9. The people who took me to treatments as not safe driving when full of Benadryl.
  10. The fellow cyclists who recently confirmed how much stronger I am now than immediately prior to surgery.  This is a major deal.

My friends who continue to be there for me.  Thanks for this thread Tori!!! - Claire

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 10, 2011 06:59PM bak94 wrote:

I am not extremely religious, but when my nurse told me that my doctor was on vacation in Israel, at the wailing wall and was praying for all of his patients, all the nurses and doctors, I just found so much comfort in this. Plus my doctor is 70 something and could easily retire, but instead he works tirelessly on fighting for his patients, keeping up on research and going to as many conferences as he can.

I also like when co workers and clients just treat me as me, not my cancer.

Not really sure what stage I am-Some docs say 3C, others say stage 4. I had no auxillary nodes positive but had internal mammary nodes positive and possibly mediastinal node positive. It's just a number anyways, right? Dx 12/15/2002, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/40 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 1/2/2003 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 2/5/2003 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 7/8/2003 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 4/5/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/27/2011 AC Targeted Therapy 5/14/2011 Avastin (bevacizumab) Chemotherapy 7/29/2011 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Surgery 11/30/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 2/11/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2012 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 8/2/2012

Sep 10, 2011 07:07PM ruthbru wrote:

Co-workers brought dinner twice a week all during chemo. When it came to radiation, I had to travel 200 miles round trip every day for my 6 weeks of zaps. My friends signed up on a calendar, and I never had to drive myself even once.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 10, 2011 11:06PM lovemyfamilysomuch wrote:

I am a psychologist and I was presenting to a breast cancer support group on the topic of the emotional impact of breast cancer. 
My 24 year daughter asked if she could accompay me.  One of the exercises we did was to go around the room and just say one word about how we were feeling at that moment.  After almost all of us went, my daughter said "Inspired".  Her response warmed my heart, because she doesn't talk about the whole thing much. xo
Dx 10/14/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 11, 2011 08:10PM ToriGirl wrote:

My husband has always told me how beautiful I am...always gave a me quick pat on the bootie and kisses me without thinking twice...the thing that touched me was reading the quote he put on his Facebook page that said, 

"My wife has more strength than most people will ever have need to call on.  She is a total badass!"

I've read it more times than I can remember...and still do!

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 11, 2011 08:23PM Paula66 wrote:

I love that Torigirl.  I was so stressed at how my husband was going to feel about me after I had no breasts.  He is still the same to me today as he was when I had breasts.  Never once did he freak out when he looked at me.  There is a song out there thats called Im gonna love you through it. I am blessed to have him by myside through all of it.

Fight Like a Girl!!! Dx 10/24/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 12, 2011 10:21AM Granuaile wrote:

What a great thread. Last week I started my year of herceptin. I met with the NP after doing bloodwork - we usually have great conversations about the crapshoot that is cancer. I said to her, "How's everything look?" Her answer: "Good, as usual. We really didn't need to do bloodwork for this part of the treatment. I just wanted to see you and know how you're doing." And this is in a big cancer center in Boston. I really feel like my team cares about me. My whole team, not just my family and friends. It nearly made me cry.

Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, Her2+

Sep 12, 2011 11:25AM LtotheK wrote:

I adore my husband, but I'm a really fiercely independent person, and until recently, I've always flailed for that independence (constantly on the go, here and abroad.)  Hair, no hair, stumbling to the toilet after the neulasta, moaning in bed from GERD thanks to chemo--my husband not only told me I was fabulous and beautiful, he said it over and over.  What integrity. Because I know there were a couple of days at least when that was anything but true.  I've never been more impressed, or felt more like I know where home is.

Sep 12, 2011 11:56AM Leah_S wrote:

One of my granddaughters was born 1 week after I was dx with bone mets. I told my onc that on the day she was born I was holding her and praying very hard that I would dance at her wedding, and that his job was to see to it that I did. His reply: "Learn to dance".

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 12, 2011 01:32PM FireKracker wrote:

Yeah I was told by lots of people that I CAN STILL DANCE...Come on over Leah Ill teach you..I evenk know your dance i dont know how to spell it Hora is that it?
Focktober!!!!Pink stinks!!!!

Page 5 of 39 (384 results)

Scroll to top button