Topic: Beating Metastic Cancer when Given no Hope

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Jun 30, 2012 08:59AM

Posted on: Jun 30, 2012 08:59AM

colleenvscancer wrote:

I am not sure I am doing this right, I simply want to get my story out to give back for all the information I have received and to offer hope. June 2010 I was diagnosed with stage II lobular breast cancer 2 lymph nodes+, er+, her2 neutral.  I just turned 40. I opted for a bilateral mastectomy, reconstruction, endured 8 rounds of chemo and 32 rounds of radiation. I finished treatment in April 2011.  In December I had back issues and it was confirmed in January 2012 that I had bc metastasis in my tailbone, spine, and possibly my femur.  The doctor started questioning if I was stage IV from the beginning.  We will never know.  I was told chemo was not an option, I wasn't bad enough for radiation, so stay on my arimidex and enjoy my next 2-5 years.  That answer was not acceptable to me.  I decided to research alternative treatments.  I rented movies like Forks over Knives, Food Matters, and my personal favorite, Cancer and Diet.  I read a lot of inspirational books blogs and forums. I made the decision to go Vegan.  I learned about and now enjoy the benefits of Qigong and meditation.  I turned up and held strong to my faith. During a second opinion from the Cleveland Clinic I learned that they are using Faslodex in conjunction with Arimidex, so I started doing both too. I started a blog to help share my information and found comfort in hoping that I might inspire someone else to take matters into their own hands when given no alternatives.  Within six weeks my tumor markers returned back to normal. I just had them checked again and pray they are still within the normal range, it's been 3 months since I had them checked. I don't know if they will be the same, but what I do know is that I was given 2-5 years. I just added 6 months to that number! I wish you the best on whatever journey you are going through!

Page 2 of 2 (13 results)

Aug 12, 2012 10:00AM barsco1963 wrote:

Heidi - 4.5 yrs with NED is fantastic. I hope that he sticks around for quite a few more yrs yet! Let us know how your appt goes with your onc.

It isn't knowing the worst, the worst is not knowing. Dx 5/30/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 21/29 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/25/2011

Nov 10, 2012 08:03PM msphil wrote:

Congrats and Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, God continue to bless us all. msphil18 yr Survivor(Praise GOD.  idc, stage2,3 nodes,L mast, chemo, rads and 5 yrs on Tamoxifen

Nov 26, 2012 02:56PM teacher911 wrote:

I was just recently diagnosed stage IV . 4 1/2 yrs earlier I was DCIS and had multiple lumpectomies to which they couldn't achieve clear margins so I chose to have a bilateral masectomy.  I really thought I would be  a lucky, long term survivior.  I have been searching these forums since my recent dx looking for just these types of messages.  I can't thank you enough for posting.  I hope to be posting here in many years.  I have a wonderful life and want to continue to enjoy it for as long as possible.  Thanks again for sharing your stories, they really helped.

Dx 3/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/16/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 3/15/2013 Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 4/17/2013 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Targeted Therapy 11/26/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 2 of 2 (13 results)

Scroll to top button