Topic: Missing A Significant Family Member

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Jan 31, 2014 05:22PM

Posted on: Jan 31, 2014 05:22PM

SlowDeepBreaths wrote:

My mother passed away from Lou Gehrig's Disease in 1993. She never saw my children grow up - they were 5 and 3 when she passed. I've since battled three major illnesses without her. I wish she could be here during my breast cancer journey. My mom always made me chicken soup when I wasn't feeling well. It was so comforting when I would climb into bed, and smell the soup cooking, from my room. When I was sleeping, I would feel her cool hand on my forehead. She never needed a thermometer, she always knew by touch when I had a fever. When I became an adult, she still came over to make me soup whenever I was sick. It didn't matter how old I got. I kept the same tradition with my daughter and son. When they got sick, they always knew it was time for chicken soup. When I went through chemo, my daughter came home to stay with me. The first thing she did was make me soup. I closed my eyes and listened to all the sounds - pots clanging, water running, vegetables being chopped. After awhile I could smell the familiar aroma. I pretended I was back home with my mom. I hope one day when my grandchildren are born, my children will continue with the tradition. I really miss my mom. Anyone else missing their mom or significant family member during their breast cancer journey?

Dx 4/2016, TN mets to lung. VATS left upper lobe wedge resection. "Fall seven times, stand up eight" Japanese Proverb Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-,

Page 2 of 2 (13 results)

Oct 15, 2015 11:03PM SlowDeepBreaths wrote:

Cubbie, I choose to believe we will see them again.

Welcome to BCO. I see you're very new here. Have you been diagnosed or are you waiting on test results?

So young to lose your Dad. Very sorry for your loss.

Dx 4/2016, TN mets to lung. VATS left upper lobe wedge resection. "Fall seven times, stand up eight" Japanese Proverb Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-,

Oct 16, 2015 11:29PM Cubbie2015 wrote:

SlowDeepBreaths, I have been diagnosed, but I have not filled out my profile, partly because I don't have all the answers yet, and partly because I can't bring myself to do it at this point. I'm still coming to terms with having cancer.

Dad was my primary parent when I was a child, so it's a bit like missing a Mom. So sad that your Mom didn't get more time as a Grandma, and your children didn't get to grow up with her around. My Grandma (Dad's Mom) was a 30 year survivor of breast cancer (died of old age at 92!) and I miss her as well. I wish she was here to walk me through this!

1.8mm micromet in sentinel node; BRCA negative; chose bmx due to family history; age 43 at diagnosis; Oncotype 15 Dx 9/4/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 10/8/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 12/17/2015 Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/12/2016 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 6/29/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 20, 2015 10:43PM SlowDeepBreaths wrote:

Cubbie, I'm so sorry. Once you have your treatment plan in place it does get just a bit easier. The beginning stuff is really difficult. You have many women here on BCO that will help walk you through. I know it's not the same as family, but so many of the women here have become like a second family to me. So great that your Grandma was a thirty year survivor. You must follow in your Grandma's footsteps!! Sending you gentle hugs!!!

Page 2 of 2 (13 results)

Scroll to top button