Join Us

We are 224,419 members in 83 forums discussing 163,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: BCO members for 10 or more years - read their inspiring stories!

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? —

Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Mar 6, 2014 12:26AM

Moderators wrote:

The Breastcancer.org Discussion Board Community has been actively growing for over 12 years, and there are a number of members who have been involved since the beginning. Not only have they provided support and comfort to others for all these years, but they have shared the ups and downs of their journeys and inspired and encouraged others along the way. We would like to acknowledge some women belonging to this special group who have been with us for 10 or more years. They have kindly agreed to share their photos and stories.

http://www.breastcancer.org/community/members

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Apr 1, 2018 08:23PM marejo wrote:

Hello everyone....I pray I can be an encouragement to those of you are just beginning this journey called Breast Cancer. Trust me, I KNOW how frightening it can be. I know because 12 1/2 years ago I heard the words, “Mary Jo, I’m sorry to have to tell you this but you have invasive ductal carcinoma!” WHAT? Me? Healthy 45 year old Mary Jo. “No way,” I told my doctor. “There is nothing wrong with me.” And so the story begins. I was diagnosed with stage 2B Her 2+++/ER PR negative breast cancer. Mastectomy of right breast 5 weeks after diagnosed. They found 1 lymph node positive. Three and half weeks after surgery chemo began and also herceptin shortly thereafter. Herceptin continued for 1 year. I had a mammogram on my other breast after chemo was over and no kidding, they found something suspicious on the chest wall. We opted to have my other breast removed and thankfully there was no cancer BUT I’ve never regretted having the breast removed. I fretted and worried for the first couple years.....what if? If it happens once, why not again? What can I DO to control this ever happening again? You see, control was a big thing for me. I mean, I wanted to control this never happening again. Right? Don’t we all want that? Sadly, we have no control and until we come to accept that we truly can’t live our lives with happiness and peace. As I said, it took me a couple years until I got to a point where I realized only God had any control over my life and for His reasons He allowed breast cancer to touch my life. He showed me that my life had a purpose and wnd while I was still here I needed to file each day for that day. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. No one. Each day I was healthy was my day to enjoy and not waste worrying about tomorrow. Finally, life began after breast cancer. Twelve and a half years later, I am healthy, happy and at peace with not being in control and realizing that one day, when God’s purpose for me is fulfilled, it will be time to go Home to Heaven. For now I will enjoy each day the Lord gives me with my hubby of 39 years and my children and 5 grandchildren. God bless each of you, my sisters on the journey. I pray God’s Peace to each of you

9 year NED Survivor Dx 6/24/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Apr 7, 2018 08:59AM Castigame wrote:

Maryjo,

Every word you said is right.

Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Mimi Dx 1/11/2017, IDC: Papillary/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/11/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes Surgery 2/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/20/2017 Radiation Therapy 7/30/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 10/30/2017

Apr 10, 2018 08:53AM VL22 wrote:

marejo- thank you for sharing such a great story! So happy you are living a wonderful life - you’re an inspiration. And thanks for sharing the lovely pic!!

Vanessa

Dx 5/5/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 6/23/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/10/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 1/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/11/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 10, 2018 09:59AM farmerlucy wrote:

Yes! I so agree with that whole “control” thing. I thought I had my life under control pre dx. Then when “the bomb” went off, I learned that I am in control of very little. That was freeing and empowering. I am not who I was. Life is sweeter for me now.

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/20/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/10/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/21/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/9/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/13/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Apr 16, 2018 07:54AM - edited Apr 16, 2018 02:17PM by Moderators

This Post was deleted by Moderators.

Apr 18, 2018 06:31AM vampeyes wrote:

Thank you for sharing your story.

Cheryl

Diagnosed at 41. Oncotype 21 Dx 9/20/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/18/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 11/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 18, 2018 07:01AM Lucy55 wrote:

Marejo ..thank you for sharing ..what a wonderful, inspiring story..I can see the love when I look at the beautiful photo of you and Hubby 💕

Surgery 8/26/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Dx 8/27/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2014 Surgery

Apr 18, 2018 10:24AM Manc wrote:

Thanks for this post it means so much. Emotionally I still struggle after diagnosis in November 2016. I beat myself up over this but interested to read it took you two years to adjust and accept so time for me yet. Many thanks .

Dec 2016 36 mm Grade 3 in 2 nodes Er6 Pr 4 Her-

Jun 2, 2018 10:13PM EMH525 wrote:

Marejo,

thank you so much for sharing your story. I have the same hormone status as you and have not read that many stories of others with this status. Seeing how long you have been NED is so encouraging. Wishing you continued good health and happiness.

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)