Join Us

We are 224,420 members in 83 forums discussing 163,543 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: ​When the breast surgeon gets breast cancer

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? —

Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Feb 13, 2018 03:41PM

Traveltext wrote:

An interesting article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/02...

NED breast and prostate cancer. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Feb 13, 2018 07:20PM Denise-G wrote:

Traveltext - THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this. It is very meaningful.

www.denise4health.wordpress.com my BC Blog with over 200 informative posts about all aspects of BC - stop by! Myself, my mom, and sister were all diagnosed with BC within 3 years. What a ride! Dx 10/10/2011, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 11/23/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 12/27/2011 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 2/28/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 10/11/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 13, 2018 09:01PM - edited Feb 13, 2018 09:01PM by Falconer

a good read

Strong is the new strong. Dx at 45. Onco 16. Monthly Lupron shots Nov. 2016-December 2017 Dx 7/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2016, DCIS, Left, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/30/2017 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 13, 2018 09:12PM Micmel wrote:

definitely worth reading. Brings an entire new view that doctors may face. This is some scary shit! Fu cancer! Thanks for sharing ~M~

Everyone has to dance, they just don’t know what song they will get. Dx 1/22/2016, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 13/35 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/10/2016 AC Surgery 6/21/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 7/20/2016 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 11/7/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery Chemotherapy Chemotherapy Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 13, 2018 09:37PM - edited Feb 13, 2018 09:38PM by farmerlucy

Excellent. Thank you.

I’m always a bit taken back when I hear a Dr has breast cancer. It's like I think in the back of my mind that since they have access to all the best screening they'll be good. Nope. Same sad sack as the rest of us.

Arrrg if I here another person say, “I had a clear mammo. I'm good". Ugh. Big. Fat. Lie. T'aint necessarily so. Arrrg

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/20/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/10/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/21/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/9/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/13/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Feb 14, 2018 03:38AM Traveltext wrote:

Yes, they're just like us. I've followed Liz on Twitter since she was diagnosed and I related in that I had an ultrasound that was finally granted after three months of complaining of a lump. In my case it was the sonographers 'so eyes that popped out of her head during the scan. That and her quickly exiting the room to call the doctor!

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Feb 14, 2018 06:59AM Paco wrote:

Great article, Traveltext, thanks for posting.

There is an ad that runs on TV for the local, nationally-ranked cancer center that features one of the doctors relating his personal experience with cancer. It makes him seem much more believable knowing that he is a survivor too, but after reading this article, I can understand why doctors might be hesitant to let people know they've had cancer.

Dx @ 48 Dx 12/28/2017, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 3/27/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/26/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 14, 2018 08:21AM TWills wrote:

Sorry this is off topic.

“She got the all clear” “The cancer is gone”.

I wish I had gotten that! I wish everyone could get that, and that is the hope but... I feel like that is what confuses everyone about BC including me. I hate that it bugs me but it does and I’m not a doom and gloom person and for me I do feel like they probably got it all and my treatments most likely got the rest if any, but I do not feel like I can use those words but I really wish I could.

Dx 11/2016, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 2/2/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/9/2017 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 7/30/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Surgery 8/27/2017 Hormonal Therapy 11/8/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/1/2018 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Feb 15, 2018 03:27AM beauz wrote:

The vast amount of posts on BCO would make a good ethics training material for medical professionals.

Dx 01/Dec/2017, invasive carcinoma of mixed type. Mixed no special type(60%) and micropapillary type(40%). High grade DCIS present within and beyond invasive carcinoma. Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 3/15 nodes, ER+/PR-,Her2- Dx 5/2017, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/26/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 11/27/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 1/10/2018 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 4/16/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/17/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 15, 2018 04:20AM Traveltext wrote:

TWills, your stats are a bit like mine, and like me you've had the fullest of treatments. Sure, we have our chances of recurrence, but we should realise we've got the odds on our side for a long life.

Beauz, I agree with you, there's a wealth of info here for the medical profession to study.

Feb 15, 2018 10:12AM ksusan wrote:

Agreed! I've posed questions a few times to inform training seminars I'm conducting for therapists.

Interestingly, the responses to Therapist choice: One who has, or hasn't had breast cancer? have come out somewhat strongly against (though of course we don't know one way or the other if the therapist doesn't make a disclosure). Where the Atlantic article mirrors the doctor's insights about empathy and attention to language, many responses in the therapist thread question whether the therapist would be able to focus on clients' needs and support their decision-making. I find this interesting since therapists are extensively trained in this and most medical professionals don't get a lot of education on it, but perhaps the responses reflect something about having a longer or more emotional relationship with a therapist.

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Feb 15, 2018 11:35AM Outfield wrote:

TWills, keep in mind "she got the all clear" are the author's words, not necessarily the surgeon's. I can't imagine a breast surgeon having an understanding of "the cancer is gone" after the treatment described. It sounds like, by her 10 year prognosis, she was probably diagnosed at stage III, and I can't imagine any doctor who required chemo for a solid tumor (as opposed to something like lymphoma) believing that it could be said with certainty "the cancer is gone."

That's the whole struggle of moving on. Even 7 years after finishing treatment, I struggle with making plans for the future any further away than a couple years. I don't want to let myself dream of things like grandkids or retirement too much, because I've got that risk of not making it that's higher than the average woman my age. I would love for my oncologist to look me in the eye and say, "Cured!" but both he and I know it wouldn't be honest and I wouldn't believe it.

ksusan, the time and training a therapist would have for talking with someone about breast cancer is really different from the time available to a surgeon, who also would not have the same kind of training to do it. I think a lot of people feel cut-off or dismissed when their physicians won't get deep into discussions of emotions or experience, but in this medical culture it's just not their role. I'm not a surgeon - I have much more time with people - but there's still the same pressure to deal with the issues of the body before the next person is due in the room. I think we know patients want us to be therapists sometimes, but it's just not possible. The closest I can think of to helping someone explore their emotions and values is a "goals of care" discussion, which can be complicated approaching end of life, but is usually pretty simple for cancer because the choices aren't limitless. If the person can't make up their mind easily, not because they don't understand the options but because one choice isn't clearly better when considering what they value in life, my hope for surgeons is that they at least recognize the situation, but most of the time, if they do, they'll just say "Think about it" rather than try to get to an end. Maybe delegate if the resources are there, but they usually aren't. It's the horrid, paternalistic ones who say "You would be happier with X" - like the surgeons who purposefully leave extra skin "just in case" when a woman says she will not be getting reconstruction. But yeah, I would definitely not want to see a therapist who had also dealt with breast cancer. I think people have a strong need to have their choices validated, and one way to experience that is to see other people make the same choice. I am very, very conscious of watching my words when I am speaking with another breast cancer patient, but I'm sure I'm not perfectly non-judgemental. The last thing I'd want as a patient would be a therapist who had been through the very same thing, faced the same choices, and had a niggling, but very human, need to be validated.

Feb 15, 2018 12:40PM ksusan wrote:

I imagine that some clients would want a disclosure and some would not, and like all identity issues, there's probably a need for a range of therapist disclosure levels. Where I get perplexed in thinking this through is that with the frequency of people who get breast cancer, I'm not sure I can actually think of any therapist I know over 55 or so who hasn't at least had a close relative or friend with breast cancer, so it's in their lives and relationships with clients whether they disclose it or not. I'm interested in the meaning of the disclosure for potential clients.

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Feb 17, 2018 07:00AM - edited Feb 17, 2018 07:29AM by Wildplaces

This Post was deleted by Wildplaces.
Dx 8/5/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/11/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 9/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 17, 2018 04:40PM edwards750 wrote:

My sister’s BS died from it.

Diane

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)