Join Us

We are 224,950 members in 83 forums discussing 163,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Book recommendations please!

Forum: Recommend Your Resources — Book reviews, favorite web sites, products, articles.

Posted on: May 19, 2009 01:56PM

kris30 wrote:

My Mum has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and I'd love to have some recommendations from those in the know for books to read.

The inspirational ones I'll get to but my immediate need is for books that explain breast cancer, the treatments, etc and give practical and sound advise on nutrition and exercise. I'd also love something that covers complementary treatments (like homeopathy, naturopathy, reflexology) for those undergoing treatment.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

May 20, 2009 01:03PM idaho wrote:

Dr. Patrick Quillans - Beating Cancer with Nutrition. Is excellent.  Tami

There's no place like home......There's no place like home Dx 2/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 20, 2009 03:01PM kris30 wrote:

Thanks for that Tami, much appreciated!

May 25, 2009 09:27PM Bany wrote:

Many people with breast cancer consider Dr. Susn Love's Breast Book the breast cancer Bible.  It was a great help to me.  Just be sure to read it in small doses or it can be information overload.

Dx at 39, THIRTEEN years dancing with my main man NED!! BRCA2+ Holding Angela (BLESSED4) in my heart always!

May 25, 2009 09:39PM soapsnug wrote:

Hi Kris,

When I was diagnosed, I found these two books helpful: Breast Cancer: Real Questions, Real Answers by David Chan, MD, and The Breast Cancer Survival Manual by John Link, MD.  I also like The Complete Natural Medicine Guide to Breast Cancer by Sat Dharam Kaur (Naturopathic Doctor), Waking the Warrior Goddess by Christine Horner, MD, and Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber, MD.  All the best.

Audrey 

May 26, 2009 12:13PM Jo_Ann_K wrote:

Other good ones:

Pretty is What Changes: Impossible Choices, the Breast Cancer Gene, and How I Defied my Destiny by Jessica Queller

The Breast Cancer Survivor's Fitness Plan by Joy Prouty

Voices of Breast Cancer: The Healing Project

I am Not My Breast Cancer by Ruth Peltason

Five Lessons I Didn't Learn from Breast Cancer by Shelley Lewis

Nordie's at Noon: The Personal Stories of Four Women "Too Young" for Breast Cancer by Patty Balwanz, etc. 

joannklein.blogspot.com Dx 9/5/2008, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Surgery 10/1/2008 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 10/22/2008 Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/9/2009

May 26, 2009 12:27PM kris30 wrote:

Thanks everyone - I have quite the book list here now.

What a wonderful resource you all are.

Kristie

x

May 27, 2009 10:06AM deebou wrote:

I have just been diag. with breast cancer and went to a book store and most of the books were scarey, but I found this one Just Get Me Through This by Deborah A Cohen, was great with great resourses,

Dee

Dx 3/27/2009, DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIA, 2/6 nodes, HER2+

Jun 14, 2009 05:11PM AnneN wrote:

My primary care doc recommended David Servan-Schrieber's Anticancer: A New Way of Life. I have been following many of his suggestions and I believe that's a major reason my tumor has responded so well to hormone therapy. My oncologist said it's one of the best initial responses she's ever seen.

Servan-Schreiber is a physician and cancer survivor who combed through the medical literature after he experienced a recurrence, looking for ways to change his lifestyle to reduce his risk. This book is the product of what he learned. 

Faslodex/Zometa/complementary supplements. Mastectomy with immediate DIEP at NOLA on 12/15/10. Dx 3/20/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 6, 2009 06:26PM janey47 wrote:

When I got my biopsy results, the breast health center folks gave me a copy of Understanding Lumpectomy, which served me really really well, although it is specifically targeted at the lumpectomy audience.  If your mom has been told that she's likely to have a lumpectomy, I would strongly recommend this one.  It's clear, it's well organized, and it did not scare me to death.  The nurse educator at the breast health center also recommended Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book but every time I would pick it up in the bookstore and start to flip through it, I would realize that it was too soon for me to deal with all the information in it.  I needed small chunks, human sized bites, so to speak.  If things had worked out differently for me, I know I would have bought it... just somewhere later down the line.

For me, Understanding Lumpectomy was just the right amount of information to start with:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Lumpectomy-Treatment-Breast-Cancer/dp/1886039623/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246929445&sr=1-1 

multi-focal, tubular carcinoma Dx 4/29/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 5, 2009 05:11PM - edited Aug 5, 2009 05:13PM by TheQuietAngel

Hey Deebou, I know exactly what you are talking about when you say all the books are scary.  I felt the same way, so I just wrote a book that has a process that helped me through my cancer.  It is unique, never been done before approach to surviving cancer.  It is hands-on, attitude adjusting, humorous way to conquer this disease.  It is called: "Mirror Makeovers and savvy insights for the everyday gal surviving cancer and baldness with a sense of humor."  It really helps you to deal with your emotions.  But just take a look at my website: www.QuietAngelPublishing.comand I also wrote and directed a video by cancers survivors for cancer survivors, it is very uplifting and shows you how to use the book by drawing you emotions in the mirror in the form of hair..  The YouTube link is: http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=9choRJAmoYA  And Kris30 it will really help your Mum! Check it out!
Dx 6/10/1999, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 30, 2014 04:58PM - edited May 21, 2015 02:03PM by OncoWarrior

"I traded my Perky Bosoms for a Perky Attitude!"

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)