We are 193,347 members in 81 forums discussing 143,423 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Recommend Your Resources → Topic: Looking for your recommendations: Wigs, hats, turbans, and more

Topic: Looking for your recommendations: Wigs, hats, turbans, and more

Forum: Recommend Your Resources — Book reviews, favorite web sites, products, articles.

Posted on: Aug 16, 2017 04:35PM

Moderators wrote:

For any of you who chose to use wigs, hats, turbans, or any other head covering during chemo, we're looking for personal recommendations in your area! Was there a certain type of wig or hat you found that worked for you? A great brand of turbans? Did you try a full-service wig salon or hair loss center that offered fitting and styling? Wig adhesives or other accessories?

We'd love to know:

• The name or brand of the product
  • Name and location of the shop or center
  • Name of the wig fitter/stylist
  • Any related website links

We hope to add this information to the Hair, Skin, and Nails section so that people can find resources where they live or online. Please post your recommendations below!

Thank you!

--The Breastcancer.org Team

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 3 of 3 (66 results)

Posts 61 - 66 (66 total)

Sep 5, 2017 11:01AM Moderators wrote:

You look great in the head wrap, JuliaJazz!!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Sep 6, 2017 01:35AM Caligirl55 wrote:

I went to Hollywod Wigs here in Fresno, CA. The owner has dedicated her life to helping women with cancer. She was always fun and so encouraging. She sells caps, scarfs, hats and about every head covering you can think of. I bought 2 wigs but just never liked wearing either one. I wore caps and scarfs mainly. I sometimes just went in to see her and feel better about myself.

Dx 6/28/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/9/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/7/2017 Whole-breast: Breast

Sep 7, 2017 01:14AM Lumpie wrote:

I love reading everyone's tips. In my prior post, I totally forgot to post a favorite of mine! Chemo Diva:

http://chemodiva.com/

They actually take *your own hair* and attach it to a lingerie-like cap to make it into what I call a "wig-lette" that you can wear under a cap or scarf. It is really amazing because it is your own hair. I felt very "at home" in mine.... and just felt like it made me look much more human. One of my co-workers came up to me after I had been wearing it for a while and said, "I can't get over how much that looks like your hair." She was really confused when I told her it WAS my hair! Then I explained... Not cheap, but this was the best discretionary cancer related expenditure I made. (It was a gift from a dear friend, actually... bless her!) Cut segments of hair need to be at least 7 inches long (mine were exactly 7 inches! with not a cm to spare). I went to Hair Cuttery and they were happy to trim it according to specification.... and shape up what was left. Chemo Diva's halos are highly recommended!

(If I can dredge up a picture, I will post it.)

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/13/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Dx 2017, Stage IV, metastasized to liver Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Sep 12, 2017 02:58PM dlb823 wrote:

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but if you like scarves, Anokhi, has some beautiful ones that are both oversized and lightweight, non-slip 100% cotton voile.

http://www.anokhiusa.com/all_scarves/index.html

I also second the recommendation for Raquel Welch wigs. They do gradient colors exceptionally naturally.

Also, if budget is an issue, check with your local American Cancer Society office. In most locations they offer donated wigs free of charge, either through their Look Good Feel Better classes, or at their offices.

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Sep 12, 2017 04:03PM BeagleMom3 wrote:

Great place to order wigs: PaulaYoung.com

Nice quality and inexpensive! I kind of went overboard buying wigs, but I decided that, if I was going to do this, I was going to have fun doing it!

Judy

Sep 15, 2017 03:09PM Logang wrote:

For anyone near Columbus Ohio, Hope's Boutique at the Stephanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center has a lot of wigs and head coverings.

Smile

Married mother of 2 boys (15 & 19). Diagnosed at age 39, Oncotype- 57, extensive family history, no genetic mutations found. Dx 1/8/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/31 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 1/24/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/10/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 7/26/2016 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/18/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 11/2/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/8/2017 Reconstruction (left): Nipple tattoo, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo, Silicone implant Surgery 9/5/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 3 of 3 (66 results)