We are 197,866 members in 81 forums discussing 145,397 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Recommend Your Resources → Topic: In need of assistance? We are here to help!

Topic: In need of assistance? We are here to help!

Forum: Recommend Your Resources — Book reviews, favorite web sites, products, articles.

Posted on: Sep 7, 2017 04:16PM - edited Sep 7, 2017 07:08PM by AmyPatterson

AmyPatterson wrote:

The moderators of this fabulous website gave me permission to post about the organization I currently work for. The United Breast Cancer Foundation is a non-profit based out of Long Island, NY. Our goal is simply to alleviate stress and help those who are suffering from breast cancer with their financial burdens. We know how expensive cancer care can be and we know that even a little bit can help. We offer 7 different programs and we don't turn anyone down. Whether it's a medical bill, a car payment, a mortgage payment, a utility bill etc. we are here to help. Please take a look at our website and read each of our programs descriptions and see if any of them are right for you.

wwwUBCF-org

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Nov 28, 2017 03:17PM - edited Nov 28, 2017 03:47PM by sas-schatzi

You may want to take a look. BUT in order to receive any financial assistance they require a 25$ donation. That is a huge red flag to me. HUGE.

Plus, they require a W2 form. That's another big red flag. Maybe not to others, but it is to me. So they could be legitimate, but they would have to jump through hoops to prove it to me.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "holy crap....what a ride".

Nov 28, 2017 03:26PM sas-schatzi wrote:

Working on the URL something's not right

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "holy crap....what a ride".

Nov 28, 2017 03:50PM - edited Nov 28, 2017 03:56PM by sas-schatzi

Charity navigator. 2 star out of 5. I had it linked. I will see if I can bring it back again

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=11800

Nov 28, 2017 03:51PM - edited Nov 28, 2017 03:52PM by sas-schatzi

Link to it's financial application page. Again I have red flags popping all over about the requirements.

http://ubcf.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Individual-Grant-Application-2017.3.pdf

Nov 28, 2017 03:54PM Castigame wrote:

Thank you Sas, I agree

I am a fickler about where my money goes

Mimi Dx 1/11/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes Dx 1/11/2017, IDC: Papillary/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy Chemotherapy 3/21/2017 Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 10/30/2017

Nov 28, 2017 04:10PM sas-schatzi wrote:

Hi Casti, My original interest when reading this thread topic, was that they said they would give money to breast cancer patients.

I have had two organizations give my hubby and me money. One the Leukemia Lymphoma Society for my husband. It was a hefty award 5000$. The application was daunting, but doable. Perhaps a W2 was required. I forget. But a 5000$ award was big money. I did the dance and was happy to do it.

The other was a local foundation that gave us each a 2000$ grant. Their application was easy peasy. A copy of the pathology report and a letter from the oncology doc with our names and addresses.

The fact that this organization asks for money 25$ as one of six steps to consider giving an applicant a grant doesn't sit well with me. The point of applying is the applicant needs money.

I'm inclined to say take a pass. May not be fair, but I've studied how to evaluate charities. When I say it sends up red flags, that is coming from a background of that knowledge

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)