We are 224,420 members in 82 forums discussing 157,743 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: The nation's first free online Breast Cancer School for Patients

Forum: Recommend Your Resources — Book reviews, favorite web sites, products, articles.

Posted on: Oct 13, 2019 06:13PM - edited Oct 13, 2019 06:17PM by NoMoreKindaCCups

NoMoreKindaCCups wrote:

I was fortunate enough to be referred to Dr. John P. Williams as my breast surgeon, and I immediately loved his kindness, his patience, his calm demeanor, and his warmth. Once I read this October's Northern Virginia magazine feature about him, I felt even more honored to have him in my fight. His video series at Breast Cancer School for Patients is amazing, no matter where you are in your journey!

Check it out! ...NoMoreKindaCCups

Dx 9/19/2019, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Left, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/18/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Oct 13, 2019 07:14PM OnTarget wrote:

Thanks!

Diagnosed at 42, Oncotype score 16, ITC in one node- considered node negative Dx 4/8/2019, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/23/2019, ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 6/13/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 8/5/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/6/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Oct 14, 2019 05:54PM NoMoreKindaCCups wrote:

You're welcome, On Target! I hope more people find this thread...

Dx 9/19/2019, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Left, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/18/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Oct 25, 2019 11:19PM JosieO wrote:

NoMoreKindaCCups:

This is fantastic!

What an outstanding surgeon-you were beyond fortunate to have him.

And what a learning tool, wherever one is in the cancer experience

I’m pacing myself to work through the videos, and will share with everyone I know.

Appreciate your sharing...!

THANK YOU

Oct 26, 2019 03:34PM NoMoreKindaCCups wrote:

Hi JosieO,

I'm so glad you found this post and are watching Dr Williams' videos. He really is the best! Please do share this on social media. I know he can help so many people if they just find the site. Or maybe if their doctors point their new patients to this as a learning tool...

I'm so blessed to have him on my side! I wish you well in your journey!

Oct 26, 2019 04:32PM MinusTwo wrote:

Lots of interesting information. Is Dr. Williams in private practive? What hospital(s) is Dr. Williams associated with?

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 26, 2019 04:39PM - edited Oct 26, 2019 10:16PM by magiclight

This Post was deleted by magiclight.
Life is available only in the present...the here and the now. Thich Nhat Hanh Dx 4/15/2015, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/27/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery

Oct 26, 2019 04:46PM NoMoreKindaCCups wrote:

Hi MinusTwo,

Dr. Williams is now working with Galaria Plastic Surgery, and he's affiliated with UVA Novant Haymarket and UVA Novant Prine William Hospitals as well as The Fauquier Hospital in Warrenton, VA. Check out his website drjohnwilliams.com for more info. He created the Novant UVA Breast Center at the Haymarket facility. He's a remarkable doc with the very best bedside manner and just a wonderful human being. I can't say enough about him!

His videos should be the first thing a breast cancer patient is referred to by their doctor. So informative!

Oct 26, 2019 04:53PM NoMoreKindaCCups wrote:

Hi magiclight,

I'm sorry you didn't feel that site was helpful, and it sounds like you're dealing with more than normal effects of the surgery and treatments. I hope you find a way to ease your pain. The videos are meant to educate, not to cover every single outcome.

I do agree that this breastcancer.org offers an entirely different depth of experience coming from actual patients, and that's incredibly valuable too! But it doesn't negate what Dr. WIlliams is offering, IMHO.

Oct 26, 2019 10:16PM - edited Oct 26, 2019 11:03PM by magiclight

This Post was deleted by magiclight.
Life is available only in the present...the here and the now. Thich Nhat Hanh Dx 4/15/2015, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/27/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery

Oct 26, 2019 10:27PM JosieO wrote:

No more kinda,

Yes, I appreciate you making this information available.

I am also fortunate in that I have an outstanding surgeon. He has a great website and spends a long time with each of his patients, explains and answers questions until he is sure that the patient understands. He has not yet developed video content.

I was originally diagnosed via a suspicious mammogram, followed by an ultrasound and then a biopsy. I had difficulty getting to a breast surgeon, and during that frightening time, I was left with my primary care, who frankly lacked accurate knowledge as well as compassion and caring. It wasn’t until I found my surgeon that I could focus and with his help a plan emerged.

So when I think of your surgeon’s content, I believe it would be especially helpful for the newly diagnosed who are not referred to accurate information sources, or who do not yet have a cancer team in place. I recognize I would have been saved many anxiety-filled hours had I had this resource.

Same thoughts for those women not experiencing breast cancer. These videos are educational whether one is in need or not. I share with my friends so they understand my experience.

I still meet women who are “afraid” to know these things, but how good it would be for them to learn what others have had to learn.

(A final comment-when I was able, I replaced my primary care, and now have a knowledgable and caring doctor who completes my great cancerteam. Forever grateful...)

Again, thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)