Topic: Ladies in their 30s

Forum: Young With Breast Cancer — Connect with those under 40 who have been diagnosed.

Posted on: Aug 22, 2010 09:10PM - edited Mar 8, 2016 12:08AM by Lady_Madonna

Posted on: Aug 22, 2010 09:10PM - edited Mar 8, 2016 12:08AM by Lady_Madonna

Lady_Madonna wrote:

Hi sisters,

Just wanted to find out how many of us are in our 30s.

Do you have husbands and families? I found that aspect particularly hard while I was doing my chemo- keeping up with the needs of everybody else while I was doing my treatments.

Now I'm in the radiation portion and school will be starting in about 10 days... yay!

Say hello if you have a moment!

Page 1 of 277 (2,763 results)

Aug 23, 2010 05:01AM Twinmom77 wrote:

Hi!  33 here, 32 when diagnosed.  At the time my twins were 3 and I had a husband that checked out (he thought, and still thinks, that I use cancer as an excuse to not do anything! We're separated now).  Fortunately, my family stepped up and helped out so much so I could focus on getting well, but yes, there were lots of times when it was hard to get up off the couch and take my boys to the park or make them an actual, real dinner instead of letting them snack on whatever they wanted all day!

Once rads are done and you just have Herceptin, it's a breeze!  And the Herceptin goes much quicker than you can imagine.  Just finished mine up at the end of July and it's so good to finally be done!  It's nice you can finally get a break with school going back in.  How old are your kids?

1st dx 6/09 IDC, Stage I, HER2/ER/PR+, 0/2 nodes Dx 6/12/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 7/20/2009 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/20/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/7/2009 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/29/2010 Dx 12/23/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/29/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 1/29/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 2/8/2012 Surgery Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Aug 23, 2010 05:37AM krobbins wrote:

I agree.  During chemo I felt so desperate to live because of my two little ones, 6 and 5 at the time.  As I walked in, all the older patients looked at me with pity.  Now life is pretty close to normal again a year later.

Dx 9/11/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Grade 2, 4/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 23, 2010 06:28AM tougherthanithought wrote:

Hi!  I was 38 when diagnosed and my kids were 5 & 7.  It was really hard not to be able to do everything that I normally did as a busy Mom.  But I had a lot of help from my parents, in-laws, and friends. 

krobbins- I know what you mean about the looks of pity from the elderly patients at the oncologist's office.  I was usually the youngest one in there by decades.  Now that I look healthy (hair is back, although pretty short), I tell myself that the looks are of envy because I look so good! LOL

I have one more Herceptin left (next week) so I'll be happy to be hitting another milestone. 

I hadn't really checked this site for quite some time, as I was busy trying to get on with life, but I found myself back here the last several weeks.   On Friday, I had a chest CT scan, because of an area above my implant I was concerned about.  I hopefully will find out today that it's nothing. 

It still amazes me how many young women are diagnosed.

Sherrill 

Sherrill Dx 4/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Aug 23, 2010 08:09AM SunDiego wrote:

My wife is 32, dx Stage IV last week (initial DX was Stage 1a last month). We have 8 month old and 3 year old. Trying to do as much a I can around house, with kids, and working, so wife can focus on only her health and going NED.

Dx 6/23/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Aug 23, 2010 08:23AM jsw19 wrote:

I am 32 and was diagnosed a few months ago.  I am married but do not have kids yet, we were married almost 2 years ago and were hoping to start a family in the next year or so.  Of course that is all on hold and I am worried that I may never be able to get pregnant.  I am taking Lupron injections to try to protect my ovaries during chemo.  This week I am starting chemo - AC x4 then Abraxane x4, I had a severe allergic reaction to Taxotere so I cannot do TCH even though I am HER2+. 

I am also ER+/PR+ so my onc wants me to do at least 2 years of Tamoxifen before stopping to try to get pregnant.  I turn 33 in a couple of months so I will be at least 35 before I can try to get pregnant.  And of course I worry that getting pregnant may end up triggering a recurrence.  At this point I am just trying to focus on getting through chemo, then rads.  But it is hard not to be upset that this disease may be taking away my chance to get pregnant. 

Dx 5/5/2010, IDC, 1cm, Grade 2, 8/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 23, 2010 08:38AM in_cognito wrote:

Hi ladies!  Can I join?

I'm 37 with two little ones - a 2.5 year old and almost 6 month old.  I was diagnosed post partum when my daughter was 8 weeks old - thought it was a clogged milk duct and here I am. 

I find that it is almost nice that the girls keep me busy through all this.  I am not having a terrible time with chemo at all (knock on wood).  I'm down for 1 day during treatment week then I bounce back pretty well.  I can't stop being a mom - dirty diapers need to be changed - and it helps keep my mind from wandering.  My husband works nights so when he is working I am up with the baby for a quick feed if she wakes up.  I'd love to be able to lounge in bed all day to rest, but now the urgency of living and savoring each moment with the kids resonates with me so much more than before I was diagnosed. 

Nice to meet you all - sorry we had to meet this way though!

Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/26/2010 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2010 Surgery 11/19/2010 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Dx 2/19/2014, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/7/2014 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 5/15/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Chemotherapy 6/15/2014 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx 9/3/2014, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 9/22/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/22/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/23/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 1/12/2015 Gemzar (gemcitabine) Chemotherapy 2/21/2015 Halaven (eribulin)

Aug 23, 2010 10:28AM Lady_Madonna wrote:

Hi everyone!  Wow, I wanted to connect with others but I'm so sorry to see so many of us here!  This disease blows!  

Twinmom, kudos to you for doing it on your own, that's sooo hard!  But you certainly don't need deadbeat dad/hubby in the picture.  

Sherrill, (tougherthanithought...great name!),  Let us know what you find out about your scan.  Isn't waiting for results the worst?!  I had my echo last week and I've been feeling so short of breath and dizzy.  Maybe I'm just dehydrated, but of course I'm paranoid.  Today when I go in for Herceptin I'll find out if there's anything to worry about.  Congrats on being at the finish line!!  You and Twinmom are so lucky to have family around to help you, I miss my family very much- they're all up in the northwest and I'm down here in Vegas.

krobbins, I understand all too well the looks of pity.  It's wonderful that things have settled down for you.  

SunDiego,  How difficult to go from a stage I to stage IV so quickly. You're giving your wife a gift by supporting her in this way. You both must be so overwhelmed.  This is a great place to be!  We're here for you! 

jsw, I'm so sorry you're in this position.  On one hand you can fight with all your energy, but it must be awful to wonder if you'll ever be able to have a family.  Damn cancer.  My husband is an ob/gyn and I do know there are women who have successful pregnancies after chemo.  I really don't want my ovaries to fire back up since I've had my two beautiful boys but he told me that they could at any time, with premenopausal women they often do.  

In_cognito, What an awful time to be diagnosed (not that there's a good time!)  Sometimes it is easier to be busy through all this crap.  But with a baby- Wow!  That's pretty tough.  We women really have an amazing amount of strength!  

I'm so pleased to meet everyone, in spite of the circumstances.  The friendship and support I've found here are just amazing.  Let's keep in touch.

Have a wonderful week,

~Melanie

Aug 23, 2010 10:57AM Summer38 wrote:

Hi Ladies,

Pretty scary that there are so many of us! I am 38 (37 when diagnosed) and have 2 children - 12 & 10. They certainly keep me busy but they are also a huge help when I'm not feeling well. I can't imagine doing this with "small" children. I have one more Taxol treatment then on to radiation.....

Nice to meet all of you!Smile

Dx 2/26/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 6/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 23, 2010 11:07AM yellow78 wrote:

Hi,

I am 31 with two little ones (5 and 3) year old.  My husband and family have been very helpful through this.  Chemo has not been easy for me but with a great support system it helps.  I feel quilty with I can't play with my kids or do as much as I used to but I have to think that hopefuly this time next year will be different.  Nice to meet everyone!  Jenn

Jenn S - Started Chemo July 1st- DD AC x 4, Taxol x weekly for 12 weeks. Looking like a November finish and then Radiation. Oncotype DX score 32 Dx 5/17/2010, IDC, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 23, 2010 11:08AM - edited Aug 23, 2010 11:08AM by yellow78

This Post was deleted by yellow78.
Jenn S - Started Chemo July 1st- DD AC x 4, Taxol x weekly for 12 weeks. Looking like a November finish and then Radiation. Oncotype DX score 32 Dx 5/17/2010, IDC, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 277 (2,763 results)

Scroll to top button