Log in to post a reply
Aug 5, 2012 07:31PM
Lisa, congratulations on the birth of your son! Very encouraging to hear! If you don't mind me asking, what was your response like on your IVF before BC? Was your ovarian reserve low before chemo?
My situation is we had been trying to conceive our first for about a year and a half, found out I had diminished ovarian reserve (antral follicle count was 7), and was contemplating what to do next, whether to try IVF or not, and then was diagnosed with BC.
I had surgery and then decided to do egg retrieval to freeze embryos before chemo. 10 follicles began developing which seemed like a great response given the previous AFC, but on ER only 4 eggs. I thought well quality not quantity, but unfortunately they let us know a few hours later all were immature. Devasted, we got our hopes up again when the next day they said 2 unexpectedly matured in the lab overnight. But then, they did not fertilize. :(
Now I'm faced with the tough decision, chemo which is likely to put me into permanent menopause, or the possibility of no bio children. Finances are obviously a factor as well, an anonymous egg donor is very expensive, (I don't think I know anybody) I got lucky and had extended medical benefits briefly which covered the IVF meds and the procedure was discounted due to cancer. Adopting a newborn is also expensive in legal fees and the possibilities are low.
If the chemo was necessary for survival it would be a no-brainer, but in my situation node negative and strongly ER positive its benefit is smaller (6% increase in survival) It sounds like the tamoxifen is much more of a benefit but even without chemo I don't think I could be on it for 5 years (I'm 38). I also very natural approaches minded so the idea of putting a non-selective poison in my body does not resonate in the first place.
Anybody else in a similar situation of decided to chemo or not to chemo?
5/14/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
5/21/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel
8/13/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)
11/19/2012 Breast, Chest wall
12/2/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
6/2016, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3
7/5/2016 Mastectomy: Left
7/7/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-
9/1/2016 AC + T (Taxol)
10/2019, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-
Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)
Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin)