Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Extensions

Options
MaggieMae22
MaggieMae22 Member Posts: 1

Has anyone got hair extensions to get through the short phase? I just can't seem to go without my wig! I'm fine at home but not with leaving my house. I know its vain but I've always had long hair and really want it back but I'm scared to spend thew money and be disappointed in how they look or have a bad experience?

Comments

• windgirl
    windgirl Member Posts: 208
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi,

It's funny, I have been reading up on hair extensions for the past few hours. I've just finished my last chemo Tuesday and all bald. I really would like to be able to do the extensions. Looks like there are a couple methods, the ones they fuse can be done as short as 1.5-2 inches, but seems like you may lose some of your own hair length as it is removed. The ones that are weaved in seem to be least invasive but seem require 4 inches :( which would take a long long time to grow!

People who know more about this or those who have done it, please post your experiences.

• MarcelaBR
    MarcelaBR Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi ladies!

I've done the hair extensions when I had something like 2cm of hair (about 1 inch). I don't know how helpful my experience will be because I live in Brazil and won't be able to refer you to the person who did mine, but maybe you can find someone as good! I didn't feel confortable leaving my house without the wig so that's why I did it...it was honestly the best money I spent.

Here is a picture of a before/after (could'nt find my own but it is basically the same)

And here is a picture of me with the hair extensions on..

For the bangs she used a fake one until the hair was long enough... I had to go there and re-do it every 2 months and it took a long time every time (6 hours) but it was so worth it!

Good luck!!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,940
    edited December 2014
    Options

You look terrific! Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited December 2014
    Options

How funny - I just saw this Daisy Fuentes infomercial on TV yesterday... hair extensions that use an invisible stretchy headband instead of all those little squashed clips.... and the price is only $39.95!

https://www.secretextensions.com/secext/30.0000/index.dtm?otsrid=14789d2a-7651-45d0-b7c9-845681a587e1

• windgirl
    edited December 2014
    Options

Marcela Omg this is exactly what I was hoping to read! You gave me so much hope. How did she attach the hairs if you don't mind me asking? Seems there are a few methods and yours looks great. Also for the bangs is that a whole separate piece they attached or was that also strand by strand? I will try to find a hairdresser here in Miami who can replicate what yours did. If you prefer to talk over PM please let me know. Thanks!!!!

• windgirl
    edited December 2014
    Options

Marcela also I was wondering when they had to redo them every few months, did they end up cutting from your own hair? I realize they probably need to in order to tidy it up but hoping it is small and won't halt our real hair growth that much. Please let us know. Thanks again!!

• MarcelaBR
    MarcelaBR Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi windgirl! Since I have absolutely no idea how to explain the method I found a picture on google lol.

And for the bangs yes, it is a whole separate piece...but it looks very natural. I feel that it looks better if you have straight hair...

There was no need to cut any hair when they redid it! Just so you have an idea, I removed the extensions one year and 3 months after the day I finished chemo, dyed and cut it a bit (just a trim at the ends) and this is how long it was...

Now I'm having chemo again so it's all gone... :(

Hope this helps! Let me know how it turns out!!!

• windgirl
    edited December 2014
    Options

Thanks Marcela! I will try to find a place in Miami that does this. If not, guess I will have to make a trip to Brazil :)

You look gorgeous in the photo, and your hair is so thick and pretty. It really does suck to lose it all over again, I would be so pissed. You have done so well with it during your first time around so I have no doubt you will have some beautiful extensions in a couple of months.

• MeToo14
    MeToo14 Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2015
    Options

I wish I found this tread earlier I just started a new one, but I will post here too because I am hoping someone can help me. Does anyone in The Thousand Oaks, CA area know of a salon that can do extensions on 2 inch long hair? Thank you.

• figuredancer
    figuredancer Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi Marcela,

I'm so SAD to know that your cancer recurred. Hope you're fine now. My thoughts and prayers for you. I finished my chemo two months ago and underwent surgery too a month ago, and will begin radiation for 6 weeks soon.

I made an appointment with Jon Richards in Minneapolis, MN since I couldn't find anyone in NY City or Long Island who does it on 1 inch length hair. I'm a bit nervous though, and want to know more form you since you had it done before. I was told by the other hair dressers here on Long Island and NYC to avoid extensions until my hair grows at least 3-4 inches. They said otherwise extensions will be too heavy, will break off,and also will hurt and damage my roots, and will cause permanent baldness or bald spots.

Would you please let me know if those dressers' concerns are valid?

Do you know the kind of method they used for your extension?

Did you lose length or volume of your hair because of extension?

How was the feeling of having it on? Did it bother or hurt you at all ? Were you able to make pony tail?

Finally, if you VERY KINDLY, PLEASE let me know if it caused any bald spots?

Thank you so much.