Topic: Pregnancy after ER positive breast cancer

Forum: Young With Breast Cancer — Connect with those under 40 who have been diagnosed.

Posted on: Feb 18, 2016 12:34AM - edited Feb 18, 2016 12:36AM by LM070917

Posted on: Feb 18, 2016 12:34AM - edited Feb 18, 2016 12:36AM by LM070917

LM070917 wrote:

Just wondering if there are many ladies out there who have become pregnant after being diagnosed with ER positive breast cancer and how long you waited after being diagnosed?

I know docs generally say to wait 2-3 years after treatment, but being ER positive, I also hear it can be risky in terms of recurrance

I am 35 years old with no children and 90% ER, 20% PR positive. I have two frozen embryos.

I have looked at adoption, but many agencies seem prejudice against women with a history of cancer.

Dx 9/18/2015, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/1/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Page 2 of 3 (22 results)

May 10, 2016 06:30AM Novagirl wrote:

I was diagnosed with ER positive 90% and PR positive 40% after having my first child, my son had just turned 1 a couple of weeks before my diagnosis.

I did fertility preservation after my bilateral mx and before chemo. We have 5 embryos frozen.

REs don't use the same dosing regimen that they use in non breast cancer patients. They don't raise the estrogen levels as high so you get fewer follicles. It is still very successful though.

My cousin was going to carry our second child for us. We went through extensive medical screening, psychological screenings, attorneys ect. My cousin's uterus did not respond to the mock embryo cycle twice. We had to call it quits.

I have been on farreston (similar to tamoxifen) for about two years. I did not take ovarian suppression shots during chemo and I do not take them now. I have never heard that the shots may not make the chemo work but they say that with just about everything and chemo so it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm going to ask my MO if I can stop my farreston and try and get pregnant using the frozen embryos. My husband is not on board at all but is willing to see what our doctors say

Currently on first line treatment: Ibrance, Letrozole, Xgeva, Zolodex since 12/22/18 Mets to Lungs and Bones. Originally diagnosed early stage at 31 during the one year postpartum period. Dx 5/30/2013, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 6/27/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 8/30/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/30/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/28/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 3/30/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2014 Fareston (toremifene) Dx 12/7/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 12/22/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 12/22/2018 Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

May 10, 2016 02:41PM Mabs wrote:

I have heard the contrary... That it had a protective effect... Anyway, I didn't have chemo, but I started tamoxifen and I had ovarian cysts (lots, every month) and pain as side effect... That's why I had to sart zoladex... I will search and came back

Dx 8/2014, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/1/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 11/3/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin)

May 10, 2016 09:11PM - edited May 10, 2016 09:12PM by LM070917

Hey Laura, That's the first I've heard that zoladex can effect chemo efficacy.

My oncologist and IVF surgeon were both keen for me to have zoladex to protect my ovaries during chemo and hormone therapy. I've heard after chemo you still have a 50/50 chance of retaining fertility, but for me at 35 years old with no children it's added protection. I had chemo as an insurance policy to remove any micro traces of cancer, if it's reduced its effectiveness, but protected my fertility, then i figure it could be worth it down the line. It's all about weighing up what's right for you.
Dx 9/18/2015, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/1/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

May 11, 2016 05:06PM laura_ingalls wrote:

hi lottemarine and everyone else,

i will definitely ask my onco for more details when i see her on friday!

sadly, i got my period the day after chemo, right on time, as always, down to the hour. it's as if my body was in denial.

chemo has started and along with all the terrible SEs, i am trying to cope and stay positive but it's hard...

ladies: your input/advice/concern always helps!

laura*

May 13, 2016 04:07PM laura_ingalls wrote:

ladies.

My onco again said no ovarian suppression during chemotherapy for me. I didn't ask regarding specific hormone or therapies like Zoladex.

My cancer is 99% estrogen positive. perhaps that affects the treatment I am receiving.

In any case, I will focus on my chemo for now. if God our Creator wills for me to have more children, then I will.

Cheers everyone. I hope you are having a good day. Hugs!

Laura*

Jul 22, 2016 12:02PM treelilac wrote:

Does anybody know whether the gender of the baby makes any difference in recurrence at all? I'm curious any studies separate the two in terms of risks.

Left MX with TE (11/2010) @ Age 42--microinvasion-> stage I (post op). BRCA-. Tamoxifen 3 yrs. Right Pleomorphic ILC (3/2015), DCIS 2 cm, LCIS 8 cm (post op). BRIP1+. Oncotype 11. Dx 9/17/2010, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 11/8/2010 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Dx 3/27/2015, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 5/11/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 22, 2017 03:19PM - edited Mar 22, 2017 03:21PM by Moonflower83

Hello!

I was diagnosed in August 2011 at the age of 28. Ich finished Chemo, radiation and also 5 years of tamoxifen. I stopped taking it on February, 1. So right now, I don't know what to do. We always wanted to have children and my gyn encourages me to get pregnant. But I am so scared because of a recurrence. Don't know how not to be scared....because I don't want to go through all the therapy once more. So it is nice to ready your stories here and that a few of you also got pregnant more than one time and are still healthy.

What did your onc/gyn tell you about how long you have to wait after finishing tamoxifen until you try to get pregnant? 3 months or 6?

Dx 8/26/2011, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 25, 2017 03:40PM treelilac wrote:

My oncologist told me to wait 6 months to clear it out of the system. :)

Left MX with TE (11/2010) @ Age 42--microinvasion-> stage I (post op). BRCA-. Tamoxifen 3 yrs. Right Pleomorphic ILC (3/2015), DCIS 2 cm, LCIS 8 cm (post op). BRIP1+. Oncotype 11. Dx 9/17/2010, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 11/8/2010 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Dx 3/27/2015, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 5/11/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 27, 2017 03:56PM Chelseah555 wrote:

Currently trying to get pregnant after chemo, radiation, surgery, and 2 years of tamoxifen. Im 32 years old and I was told chemo took a toll on my eggs. Anyone out there with a similar story who was successful at conceiving? Desperately wanting to be a mommy but having trouble being optimistic.....

Apr 5, 2017 06:19AM Eian01 wrote:

Hi Lottemarine,

It's a good idea to preserve fertility before getting into treatment. Though my oncologist say the risks remains more or less same. Been using tamoxifen for a year now.....hope it went well for everyone here

Page 2 of 3 (22 results)

Scroll to top button