Join Us

We are 219,486 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Wanted to share some happy news!

Forum: Young With Breast Cancer —

Connect with those under 40 who have been diagnosed.

Posted on: Apr 7, 2016 10:32PM

Youngwithbc wrote:

Hi young survivors! I haven't been online in awhile because I'm not focusing on breast cancer right now (needed a break!) but I wanted to come back on to let you know that I am pregnant. I know when I was first thinking about pregnancy I looked for every story I could find of women who got pregnant after breast cancer, and they were hard to find. So I want to leave this here for those feeling hopeless or looking for a bit of inspiration.

I was diagnosed at 28 and tried to let go of any idea of having a family because I was so sure the cancer would ruin everything. Now 3.5 years later, I find myself in the early weeks of pregnancy. Crossing our fingers that the pregnancy remains healthy and we get the baby we've been wanting now for a long time. I stopped my tamoxifen after 2 years, deciding that the risk was worth the reward (although it took a lot to get me comfortable with that risk... I'm still not really comfortable with it!). I wasn't prepared to let cancer stop me from living my life. And for those wondering, I didn't do any type of fertility preservation or ovarian suppression while undergoing chemo. It only took a couple cycles of trying to get pregnant. I know this is not the case for everyone, but I want young women to know that it can happen. I never thought it would happen to me, and here I am, feeling sick and grumpy and exhausted and pregnant.

Best of luck to everyone!

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Apr 9, 2016 08:44AM LM070917 wrote:

Congratulations Youngwithbc thats fantastic news and Its great to hear you doing so well! As you say there is a real lack of stories from young girls in our position, so it definitely gives us hope that we might one day be in the same position. I hope all goes well in your pregnancy and keep us updated. Can i ask what type of BC you had? Was it ER, PR positive or negative?

Dx 9/18/2015, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/1/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Apr 9, 2016 10:12AM dtad wrote:

Congratulations!!!!

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Apr 9, 2016 10:14PM StaceySue2U wrote:

Congratulations, that's wonderful news!

Age 46 at diagnosis - the babies in my avatar are my two adorable granddaughters, Azalea and Violet :) The lights of my life. Dx 1/28/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/24/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 3/21/2016 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 11/1/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)