Join Us

We are 217,588 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Reconstruction?

Forum: Young With Breast Cancer —

Connect with those under 40 who have been diagnosed.

Posted on: Sep 5, 2016 01:35AM

BlueKoala wrote:

I'm about to have a single mastectomy. My doctor says we will talk about having the other breast removed later. She says there is no evidence of cancer in it now, and doesn't want to do 'unnecessary' surgery now, but she thinks it may be necessary in the future, or even just desirable either for symmetry or because i may have a predisposition for breast cancer and may want a prophylactic mastectomy.

At the moment I'm not considering reconstruction. I would rather have the other breast removed and be flat than have one side reconstructed. I think I could live forty years with no breasts. But, I'm not sure I could live forty years with one breast.

I'm wondering what other younger women have done.
35 at diagnosis. Complete response to chemo! Dx 3/15/2016, ILC, Right, 6cm+, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/8/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 10/23/2016 Whole-breast Surgery 6/21/2017 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin)

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Sep 5, 2016 02:28AM Meow13 wrote:

I had DIEP reconstruction on left. One of my tumors was ILC and it hasnt come back in other breast.

The statistics say about one third of ILC is found in both breasts so I am suprised at your doctor's comments.

Are you doing tamoxifen or AI drugs? Suprised at chemo as treatment well.

Sep 5, 2016 03:12AM BlueKoala wrote:

I had an MRI after diagnosis that came up clear on the opposite side.

I think I will be doing an AI, but I'm not sure if it is that or Tamoxifen yet.

Why are you surprised by chemo?
35 at diagnosis. Complete response to chemo! Dx 3/15/2016, ILC, Right, 6cm+, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/8/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 10/23/2016 Whole-breast Surgery 6/21/2017 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin)

Sep 5, 2016 08:03AM LM070917 wrote:

I had a single mastectomy a year ago and still weighing up the idea of recon. It's just such a lot to go through and I wonder if it's worth it. More scars and pain to aesthetically look normal. I dunno. I think I might wait another year, just to see what happens and let my body recover a bit more. My surgeon has advised the latissimus dorsi recon is the one I should go with, if I do decide, but I have heard things like you can lose muscle strength (ability to lift arms up) and can end up feeling really tight around the torso. i think I'll wait a bit longer.

Dx 9/18/2015, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/1/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Sep 5, 2016 08:45AM Meow13 wrote:

Chemo is not as effective on ILC but if your grade was a 3 I guess you might want to try it.

Sep 5, 2016 08:52AM Meow13 wrote:

Also if you had fewer than 3 positive nodes, oncodx testing could let you know if chemo is effective.

Sep 5, 2016 09:01AM BlueKoala wrote:

Meow13, I don't actually know what grade it is, but the chemo did shrink the tumour enough that it is no longer palpable. I guess I'll find out soon whether it was a complete response.

lottemarine, I don't want a reconstruction because I don't want the surgery I don't really need. And it turns out I would have to travel to Brisbane to get it done. But I wonder how soon I will tire of being lopsided. I don't know - do Medicare or PHI cover mastectomies for 'cosmetic' purposes?

Sep 5, 2016 09:03AM BlueKoala wrote:

meow13 - oncotype testing isn't readily available here. I had neoadjuvant chemo, because the tumour was so large, and my surgeon said she would expect there would be nose involvement at that size.

Sep 5, 2016 04:57PM Meow13 wrote:

it might have been worth it to try neoadjuvant hormone therapy, but now you could consider it for prevention especially for your healthy breast. You are ILC and er and pr positive hormone therapy seems like a no brainer.

Sep 5, 2016 04:59PM Meow13 wrote:

Even with node involvement AI drugs prove very effect at killing cancer cells. Effectively starving them.

Sep 5, 2016 06:04PM BlueKoala wrote:

yes, hoping that with the hormonal therapy I won't end up with a new primary in the other breast!

Sep 6, 2016 01:31AM Meow13 wrote:

Best wishes to you.

Sep 7, 2016 09:00AM LM070917 wrote:

Hey blue koala, yes Medicare do cover mastectomy and I think implants as well, as you say under recon. Yeah I think I'm gonna wait another year and then see..let us know how you get on

Dx 9/18/2015, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/1/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)