We are 189,013 members in 81 forums discussing 141,576 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Young With Breast Cancer → Topic: Anyone use Copper/Paragard IUD?

Topic: Anyone use Copper/Paragard IUD?

Forum: Young With Breast Cancer —

Connect with those under 40 who have been diagnosed.

Posted on: Jan 30, 2017 12:17PM

nem126 wrote:

Anyone on Paragard IUD? If so, what has your experience been? I've heard the insertion is painful, and that periods become heavier. I don't really have a choice though, since I am ER/PR+. Not a lot of options.

Just had my lumpectomy a few weeks ago, now I am waiting on the oncotype to see if I need chemo or if I can just go right to radiation and tamoxifen.

I am 32 years old. No children. I've been on the low hormone BC pill for years and I plan to keep taking it until someone explicitly tells me I have to stop... which I am assuming will come at my first meeting with my MO in a few weeks.

Any advice or personal experience with the copper IUD/paragard is welcome. Thanks all.

Sarah

Diagnosed at 32. Life is weird! Dx 12/6/2016, ILC/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/28/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Feb 6, 2017 12:31PM lee9 wrote:

I am 37 and have been using the copper IUD/paraguard- had it placed 6.5 years ago. Made this choice because of my strong family history of breast cancer. Was diagnosed 2 months ago anyways...

I think that the insertion was uncomfortable, but I honestly don't remember too much at this point (which is good news, right?). My periods last a bit longer (extra day or 2 of light spotting on either end) and mid flow is a bit heavier than it was previously... but I got used to it...

good luck!

lauren

Feb 6, 2017 12:36PM nem126 wrote:

Thanks for replying Lauren! Hopefully the IUD won't be a big deal. It is what it is. It's all I can use so I better be ok with it!

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Looks like we were diagnosed around the same time (also 2 months ago for me). It stinks going through this in your 30s bc there is so much other crap you have to take into consideration. It's been hard to find people I can relate to. This community has been helpful.

Sarah

Diagnosed at 32. Life is weird! Dx 12/6/2016, ILC/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/28/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall

Feb 6, 2017 02:56PM Falconer wrote:

Sarah, I tried the paragard after my second child was born. I was 32, but since I'd already had two kids not sure we are in the same situation. Bc my mom had breast cancer I wanted to stay away from hormones. Well my experience was pretty bad- I bled for two weeks pretty heavily and really only had a two wk window of no period. I gave up on the IUD after less than a year.
Strong is the new strong. Dx at 45. Onco 16. Monthly Lupron shots. Dx 7/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2016, DCIS, Left, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/30/2017 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Feb 10, 2017 08:20AM nem126 wrote:

Hoping that doesn't happen with me. I don't have a choice though either way. No kids, clinging to some faint hope that we'll be able to have kids when I'm off the tamoxifen.

Feb 10, 2017 08:37AM nem126 wrote:

I think I will give it a shot for 6 months and if it sucks I'll get it taken out. Then it's condoms only I guess. Which is a little risky.

Apr 17, 2017 05:31PM ParakeetsRule wrote:

I'm wondering about this too. I was diagnosed recently and they told me to stop taking the pill immediately, but when I mentioned the copper IUD the doctors looked at me like I was weird! I'm about to start the egg-harvesting process (I'm 36) and that doctor seemed confused when I asked if it was okay to get the IUD now, I guess because usually her patients in the fertility clinic aren't normally concerned about getting pregnant...

Dx at 36 after several years of being told it was nothing. Lymph node biopsy was also positive. Dx 3/21/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/15/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery

Jun 19, 2017 08:16AM - edited Jun 19, 2017 08:25AM by El_Tigre

I am signed up for a paragard IUD this ext Friday during a procedure so I'll be "out" when they will be inserting it. I am hoping that since I am on Lupron shots I won't get the cramping and heavy bleeding associated with this type of IUD. If it sucks I'll fall back on diaphragm i guess ..ugh

Anyone concerned with the copper aspect? I see that everythig causes cancer these days and the copper leaves me uneasy

Dx 6/10/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/19/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 9/24/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 1/27/2016 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 3/8/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Targeted Therapy 4/15/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)