Join Us

We are 216,686 members in 84 forums discussing 160,147 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Dx at age 25. Preventive mastectomy?

Forum: Young With Breast Cancer —

Connect with those under 40 who have been diagnosed.

Posted on: Jul 20, 2018 01:19AM

Sunnysmiles wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Here's a little background. I am 32 years old. I was diagnosed at age 25 with DCIS in my left breast which had spread to a big portion of my breast necessitating a mastectomy. I was able to do a nipple sparing mx and reconstructed with silicone implant. I'm very happy with the results. I've been on tamoxifen since. I tested negative for the brca gene and there's no family history of bc.

Here's my dilemma. I'm 7 years post surgery. Been going once a year for mammograms and once a year for MRIs (along with sonograms). 5 years ago I had my right side biopsied due to suspicious findings on my MRI and sono. It was nothing thank gd. I still have a few cysts but the dr. says it looks harmless. My most recent mammogram had to be redone 3 times because they saw something but weren't sure. It turned out to be nothing as well.

I hate feeling like I'm just waiting for something to happen to my healthy side and then we'll take it out. I want to do a preventive mx. My husband is supportive. My oncologist doesn't think it's necessary but can understand why I want it.

Besides that, I feel like because I'm so young and hope to live for many more years, inevitably something will happen and I'll have to have my right side removed. So let's do it now when I'm young and my body can heal nicely. And bonus points I'll be a little more symmetrical again (right now implant side is perky and healthy side is droopy even after a lift).

Has anyone been in a similar position? What did you do? Am I crazy for wanting to get my healthy breast out?

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 20, 2018 09:11AM Moderators wrote:

Sunnysmiles - We just wanted to welcome you to Breastcancer.org, and let you know that we're so glad you've found our Community.

We're sure you'll get responses and advice from other members here soon, but in the meantime we wanted to give you this link to our Research News section that may be of interest:

Does Having Preventive Mastectomy Improve Quality of Life?

We know it's not easy, but hope we can help you make the best decision along with your medical team!

Best wishes,

From the Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Sep 19, 2018 11:05PM aliciacantu84 wrote:

hello!! Your post is kind of old but i hope you still get it. I was diagnosed dcis this year, im 33 and after a lumpectomy they found more dcis, it was biggee that they expected, I decided to go straight for bilateral mastectomy with silicone implants, because the anxiety and fear was killing me and i eanted to reduce every chance of it comming back.i missed them a lot at the beginning, not being able to feel changes a lot of things on intimacy, but my husband is very supportive and eventually i got used to it.

Happy with the reaults, they look even better than before, after breastfeeding 3 kids size and shape is better now.

Happy to hear you are healthy

Dx 3/30/2018, DCIS, Right, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3 Surgery 3/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 6/6/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Sep 19, 2018 11:10PM Sunnysmiles wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Since I've posted I made the decision to go ahead and do the preventive mastectomy. I'm scheduled so have it done in about 3 weeks. I'm very at peace with the decision. I hope the recovery won't be too bad.

Dec 24, 2018 10:21PM Shirlyn wrote:

Hi girls,

Im 28yo and have recently been diagnosed mucinous carcinoma stage 2 breast cancer and was given the option of mastectomy or lumpectomy with rt. The lump is 3cm and I'm caught in a delimma :( anyone can help? :(

Dec 24, 2018 10:27PM Sunnysmiles wrote:

I don't have time to type too much now. But I can say that I haven't regretted my mastectomy for a single day yet! Best decision I made.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)