We are 213,316 members in 82 forums discussing 152,270 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Many Younger Women Don't Take Tamoxifen as Prescribed

Forum: Young With Breast Cancer —

Connect with those under 40 who have been diagnosed.

Posted on: Nov 7, 2018 07:17AM

Moderators wrote:

Many Younger Women Don't Take Tamoxifen as Prescribed for Breast Cancer
November 1, 2018

The first study to look at adherence to hormonal therapy among younger women found that more than 18% were not taking the medicine as prescribed. Read more...

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Nov 12, 2018 08:46AM christina0001 wrote:

I quit tamoxifen after taking it for a year. I experienced weight gain and depression. I was then prescribed effexor and that really messed with me mentally. So I quit it and the tamoxifen. But I was always up front with my oncologist - even though he point blank told me I was making a stupid decision. Even if he and I didn't always agree, I respect him and I feel like if I am not honest with him, I'm making it that much harder for him to use his knowledge to help me.

I'm actually seeing him at the end of the month to talk to him about restarting the tamoxifen. I've had two kids since all that and having my precious boys makes me more motivated to stay alive, even if it means potential weight gain and depression. Hopefully this time around I'll have fewer side effects.

Surgery 1/11/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 1/16/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 2/10/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 2/13/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/13/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/10/2012 Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 8/24/2012 Radiation Therapy 10/1/2012 Breast Surgery 7/30/2013 Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Nov 12, 2018 01:40PM Salamandra wrote:

I haven't started tamoxifen yet (still pre-radiation/chemo). I just found out that I'll have to quit the antidepressant that's been working for me for years. I'm worried about side effects, and worried about the idea that the fewer side effects I have, does that mean it's not even working. I think ideally I'd stay on it for 10 years. But I think I'm going try to think of it as trying to stick to it for a year first. Take it a year at a time. I don't know. It's a huge change.

Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/18/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/3/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Nov 12, 2018 07:55PM Spoonie77 wrote:

Salamandra -- We meet again. I am also going through the anti-depressant switch. From Cymbalta to Pristiq (form of Effexor). Not something I wanted to do at all but got the ball rolling when found out it would be a must if I was to take Tamox.

I've read, and my MO confirmed, that lack of or an abundance of SEs from the Tamox plays no part at all in whether or not the drug is doing it's job. Everyone is just different chemically and genetically.

Wishing you luck with the switch over from your current AD to Effexor. Hopefully you will have a better time than I have. Sending you good vibes your way.

I was doing so wonderful on my Cymbalta, had been on it for years. Going on week 3 of Pristiq change and I'm out of nowhere having not "good" thoughts", aggression, depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc....all of this flipped like a switch since making the "switch". Ugggh. My pysch doubled the Pristiq dose today, from 50 mg to 100mg.

Told her I'd give it another 2 weeks but if this doesn't even out by then, I won't do this and put my life, my animals, and those I love in harms way. Never before (and I've been on a "few" anti-depressants & made switches) have things gone so poorly and scarily. I am not myself. I don't like how I feel or think on this Pristiq.

Also told my MO that I hadn't started the Tamox yet, since needing to stabalize this first. It was hard to tell them I'd delayed yet again, but like you said Christina, if we're not honest with them, even if we aren't doing what they think we need to, they can't help us fully. Kudos to you for being so honest with your own doc. Hope things go well with your next visit.

Sending hugs and healing to everyone in need....

7-10 First Mammogram Age 41 | 7-16 Imaging & Ultrasound: BI-RAD 5 | Core Biopsy 7-19 | 7-20-18 } It's official, Breast Cancer. Dx 7/20/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 8/30/2018, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2 Surgery 8/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/1/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 13, 2018 01:34AM Salamandra wrote:

Nice to meet again Spoonie :)

I'm on Wellbutrin now. I'm hoping I can transition to lexapro only, which is what my nurse psych added to help with anxiety after I got the diagnosis.But I know that's also listed as mild interaction.

This week I'm going to have a meeting with a psychiatrist at my cancer center, who hopefully will be up on all the latest info and be able to guide me.

I'm thinking about asking about skipping tamoxifen and going to OS + AI, even though I'm premenopausal. At least as a back up in case tamoxifen side effects or mental health issues seem to be a problem.

That is good to hear about tamoxifen side effects and efficacy though!

Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/18/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/3/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)