Topic: Preventative Ovary Removal - BRCA 1+

Forum: Young With Breast Cancer — Connect with those under 40 who have been diagnosed.

Posted on: Apr 25, 2020 06:48PM

Posted on: Apr 25, 2020 06:48PM

inezzy22 wrote:

I am almost at my 5 year mark of surging TNB, praise god! I am now 39 years old and oncologist recommends I remove my 1 remaining ovary. Due to being BRCA 1 he has stated hormone replacement is NOT an option for me. This has me afraid and concerned of so many things personally. I am married, I am invested in work and the side effects I feel will truly interfere with day to day life with premenopause. Has anyone else gone through with removing both ovaries under the age 40?

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Jun 9, 2020 11:40AM Each_day_2018 wrote:

I was diagnosed at age 31 and had both ovaries removed last summer (at age 32). I had pretty strong hot flashes for about 6 months, but I hardly ever have them now. I take Arimidex daily and have some joint/back pain, but I don't know if that's from the drug or the menopause.

I work full time and married with 3 kids and my quality of life has not changed much...but I had mine removed right after going through chemo then radiation, so anything feels like an improvement after that...I am tired a lot more than I used to be, but I am still able to work out almost daily and go about my day as normal.

Diagnosed at age 31. Dx 6/28/2018, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 3/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/5/2018 Mastectomy: Left Dx 9/6/2018, LCIS, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, 3/4 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/10/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 4/27/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 8/28/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 11/4/2020 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/17/2021 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Scroll to top button