Join Us

We are 225,737 members in 83 forums discussing 164,196 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: how about drinking?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Mar 28, 2006 09:40AM

JanieMarie wrote:

Where did our thread go? Is anyone out there from our drinking group? Did I miss something - like we became too offesive or ...well, drunk?

I would love to hear from you gals!

Janie Log in to post a reply

Page 1815 of 2,158 (64,717 results)

Posts 54421 - 54450 (64,717 total)

Dec 24, 2017 07:11AM NativeMainer wrote:

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Christmas Eve Day! We have survived the ice storm nicely, lots of clean up to do but otherwise no problems. Another storm coming in tomorrow should be all snow. We've got a good quarter inch of ice layered over almost everything, very pretty but making for some slippery conditions. Glad Sadie and I don't have to go anywhere today. Got the scanner on and there are cars off the road and collisions and crashes everywhere. Going to be a long day for the road crews and first responders, I'm afraid.

Goldie--My friends are talking about rebuilding. The Fire Marshall determined the cause was electrical and accidental, starting in the old barn. That barn and the Farm House were original buildings on the property. I didn't hear about BRCA testing until I was getting info about reconstruction and had an out of state consult. At my age at the time it should have been automatic, but Maine docs weren't yet up to speed on that. So I got it done in Boston during the recon adventure. Came back negative, but I've always wondered why no one in Maine ever brought the subject up. Star Wars at an Imax/3D sounds like a lot of fun.

Celia--wow, that's a long time to be starting work at 7 ayem! I'm guessing you weren't getting done at 3 peeyem. Good idea to check with the MO on the vaccinations.

Chi--OUCH is all I can say to the cramps and dystonia attacks! What a way to spend the night! I love your descriptions of "alternative" wines, and "guilty-conscience/polite-visitor" purchases. I did picture a relatively neat and organized wine cellar, but it sounds more like mine. I, too, inherited a defunct fridge when I bought the house, and use it for storage of paint cans and other flammables.

Lit Teetotaler's DOTD:

"I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival." Audre Lorde Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/15/2007 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 3/29/2007 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/10/2007 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2007 Hormonal Therapy 4/25/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/15/2008 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 6/21/2010 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Dec 24, 2017 08:08AM goldie0827 wrote:

Celia, I'm the same as you in regards to flu shot. I have never had one. As for my skin, it's a chemical reaction from the chemo drug I am on.

Sandy, I feel ya on those leg cramps.

Kim, glad you don't have to go anywhere and I hope it clears up if you plan to go and see your mom and Dick.

We are leaving tomorrow morning, movie is around noonish, 4 hours to get there.

Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas!

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP! Dx 3/27/2008, DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2014, ILC, Right, Stage IV, 2/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 24, 2017 01:36PM Cyndielou wrote:

merry Christmas Eve ladies!

Cyndielou ~ AKA~ *** Heidi Glitz-Kiss*** (CynCyn, Lucy) Dx 3/8/2012, DCIS, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/15/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 3/26/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/26/2012 Breast

Dec 24, 2017 05:34PM Jazzygirl wrote:

Merry Xmas from the hot springs

Dx 9/14/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/14/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/14/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/6/2013 Breast Radiation Therapy 2/24/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/20/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 24, 2017 07:03PM - edited Jan 10, 2018 07:49AM by Teka

This Post was deleted by Teka.
Note to self: I don't have to take this day all at once, but rather, one step, one breath, one moment at a time. I am only one person. Things will get done when they get done.

Dec 24, 2017 08:10PM Dara_Diverse wrote:

Image result for merry christmas eve

cheerS!

"Sugar Dazzle Thighs" *¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨* You can spend your life being angry about it. Or you can forget it and move on *¨*•¸¸¸.•*. CHEERS! Dx 6/1/2010, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 25, 2017 12:32AM - edited Dec 25, 2017 12:33AM by ChiSandy

Merry Christmas, all! Was up very late last night (almost to 5 a.m., while Bob was burning through a slew of shows to free up space on the DVR), gift-wrapping and writing out cards to accompany them. (Sadly, I fell down on the job of sending out actual cards, so I will be e-mailing animated ones and making phone calls instead). Woke briefly about 10 am, turned over, and next I knew it was 1:45 pm! Bob had gotten up at noon to watch the Bears game (sorry, Heidi, for Da Bears not giving your Browns their first win for Christmas). Looked out the window. No wonder I had slept like a baby--wasn't just the earplugs and the lights off, but 3" of snow on the ground, with more still falling! Fortunately, a neighbor snow-blowered our sidewalk so we wouldn't get fined; and a local landscaper posted on the neighborhood blog that he was making the rounds with his shovel. Texted him, and he did the gangway, deck, stairs (front & back) and alley "apron" behind the garage. Salted, too.

We had planned to take the train up to Evanston for dinner at Chef's Station, but weren't too keen on the 1/4 mi. walk on slippery sidewalks in 20-degree weather to the Granville Ave. CTA station. (The restaurant is in a little roundabout between the Davis St. CTA and commuter-rail stations, so no hike at that end). Bob had just downloaded Uber on his phone and set up his acct., and was eager to try it out. (No way were we going to drink & drive even on bare dry pavement). The driver showed up in an older Prius. Uh-oh. The interior dome light didn't work, so Bob couldn't see where the seat belt receptacle was, and my flashlight app was no help because the receptacle had sunk down into the crevice between the seat and back--the driver had to get out and fasten his belt for him. We were crawling because of the snow--and as soon as we crossed the city line the car fishtailed alarmingly at every intersection. The driver apologized for our slow progress, "because this is a very light car." (Which begs the question--why drive one on such a snowy Christmas Eve)?

Dinner was delightful (see "what's for dinner?" thread for the menu). So here I'll just mention the wines: DeLoach 2014 Pinot Noir with the app, and Duckhorn "Decoy" (Cab. Sauv.-Merlot blend) with the entree. Both were marvelous. No wine with dessert, since those were big honkin' glasses we drank and still had glogg planned for gift-opening at home. And the first dinner out in days that yielded no leftovers--not that the portions were small but because we'd intentionally had nothing to eat since very light brunch.

Said glogg was Lynfred Cellars (suburban Roselle, IL) spiced Christmas red (which had added cherry, strawberry & raspberry juices plus sweet spices). Had planned to add a little vodka in lieu of akavit (though the neighborhood "Hans' Andersonville Glogg" now uses Everclear instead). But we were already pretty loaded from the dinner wines. We opened gifts while Gordy fired up his holiday playlist. Then I nuked a mini plum pudding (the mini fed the three of us easily, as it had 350 cals. for a scant 3/4 cupful), heated a little Cointreau, lit it and (lights off) poured the flaming booze over the pudding. We had fewer gifts to open this year, as Bob's patient base is either dying off or moving away--to suburbs, warmer climes, in with their kids or into nursing homes. So we had less detritus of which to dispose. But the ones we gave each other were major. I'm about to turn in and attempt to sleep off all that wine (sadly, a week's worth in only two days...and then there's dinner at our BFFs' house tomorrow). Snow falling at night makes one want to hibernate. I've been up only 12 hrs. and I'm already yawning!

Hope your Christmas is as nice as our Eve has been!

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 25, 2017 03:53AM camillegal wrote:

HO HO HO WISHING EVERYONE A HAPPY, HEALTHY AND JUST PLAIN FUN CHRISTMAS, U ALL DESERVE THE BEST OF EVERYTHING.

Dx 2007, Stage IV, 24/38 nodes, HER2+

Dec 25, 2017 04:08AM 11Patricia11 wrote:

Doing Toxo and Herceptin. Is it ok to drink wine every night?

Dec 25, 2017 05:20AM camillegal wrote:

Good Morning Ladies----Again Merry Christmas, I can't even tell u how many times I've come here only to have my phone ringing and doing work, never ever been this busy and emergencies like crazy ll thru the nite. I'm actually turning jobs down <never did tht> even with more men on the payroll---in way it's good for me it really keeps me busy, but I'm really tired, Oh well I hope his business just keeps on going up, of course I'll be out of a job, but I wish it for Dan.

OK now.

Jazzy must be having wonderful time, she knows how to.

Sandy I missed ur broadcast, I fell asleep, I was so mad at myself, then I remember u said they didn't rebroadcast it. That's a shame, and of course I wasn't thinking bout listening to it on the puter---U've been so busy but sounds like good times except for those leg cramps--Ugh thse are hurting things like bad.

My Dr. didn't push the flu shot t me at all this year, but I did get the pn shot <can't spell it>, I've never had either one before but she just gave me that one with no discussion.

Celia it's good to see u back hope all is going well.

nd Cyn I follow u on FB, but it's great that ur here again, u r so colorful.

Karen this is a hard time for u, u are so blessed to have a wonderful fiance and a beautiful DD who I know keeps u happy and she's a doll.---that is so important for recovery, being in good place for feelings.

Bella these gals know so very much bout cancer and drinking and so much more, I know nothing, but I do know over the years so many women I know have had this and their lifestyle was very good nd some not so good. I took the BRCA, but couldn't even tell u what she said about it. All I know is that the older generation in my family 3 women hd it and never changed their lifestyle or did chemo and all lived well into their 80's, so many years after , all in my generation have all had chemo and the next Gen. all chemo, that's probably why I just think it's a coin toss. Just hoping u feel well.

Oh Kim ur poor friends, what a beautiful place they had, but hearing all animals were OK too. I hope they decide to rebuild everything, I'm sure it would make so many people happy. Well we both had snow, but ours is OK today <so far> and it would be nice to go to ur Moms today, so I hope u get to go.All I know is 3 channels are showing A Christmas Story today, all day, tho a cute movie, but not for 24 hours to me anyway.

Lori u'll be leaving soon stay safe and happy. Cuz that's just you.

SusyQ and Dara get out of that rabbit hole, I can't see u from here and that's an awful place, not enough carrots for my taste.

Leslie went to her in-laws for a couple of hours last nite, when she got home she went straight to bed, but said she was all right, so I hope she has a decent day to go to my nieces today, oh and me too. That seems to always be n if too. Now tomorrow my GF's <sister and cousin and friends> are supposed to go to lunch---now the stupid part of this is my sister, cousin and I are usually not 2 days partying anymore, but my cousin <yes the crazy one> made it for Tuesday and when I talked to her last nite I finally remembered to ask her why she thought this was a good idea. Her answer, "Oh I forgot we were older and sick now", Well we'll feel it after today so now we'll see who can go tomorrow. I washed my hair last nite nd washed what I am going to wear for both days--so at least I got started.

So I'll check back here tonite to see how everyone's day hs gone and truly wish a good one for everyone.

LUBS U ALL

Dec 25, 2017 06:49AM NativeMainer wrote:

Good Morning, Loungettes!Merry Christmas!Sadie and I are staying home to watch the snow and sleet come down and drink Christmas spiced coffee and then mulled wine. And read books and maybe watch a movie. In other words, not gonna do much today.Hoping everyone here has as happy a Christmas day as Sadie and I will.

Listening to the scanner this ayem, lots of cars of the road and I just heard one dispatcher say that a caller said AAA isn't taking calls right now! Not sure if that is really true or not. Also lots of calls going out for people who have fallen and need help getting up and at least one person who has fallen and broken a leg. And I've heard at least 4 calls for ambulances to go to nursing homes to transport people to the ER for evaluation of chest pain or altered level of consciousness. Talk about a busy day for the first responders!

Goldie--safe travels, and have good time at the movie.

CynCyn--Merry Christmas to you and Donese!

Jazzy--WOW!What a nice place to spend Christmas!

Teka-beautiful pic, and Merry Christmas!

Dara--Merry Christmas, and my you get health, happiness and joy, too!

Chi--Except for the Uber ride, what a wonderful Christmas Eve you had! There is nothing like the quiet of falling snow, is there? So kind of your neighbor to take care of your sidewalk, and so nice for entrepreneurial local business people. I made a mulled wine yesterday, didn't turn out very well, going to try again today with a different bottle of wine.

Cammy--Merry Christmas to you and your family!

11Patricia11--Welcome to the Hot Tatties Lounge! The drink/not drink/how much to drink question is a complex one. Your best source of info is your Oncologist. Things to consider are the work load on the liver from the chemo drugs and from alcohol, studies that indicate a link between alcohol use and primary bc or recurrent bc, ER/PR status of the tumor, and quality of life. My personal opinion is that life is for living, and for me that means having a drink with dinner or in the evening or when out with friends. I am also done with treatment. Other Loungettes take a more calculated approach, some by taking a certain number of drinks or number of ounces of wine per week, some by having a glass only during certain portions of their treatment cycle, some by not drinking during treatment. We all come from slightly different points of view. Would you feel comfortable sharing more about your diagnosis and treatment plan? That would give us more to consider that is directly related to your individual situation.

Cammy--I am so sorry for folks with heating emergencies on Christmas, or any other holiday for that matter. And there is more work that your company can do? That is pretty sad, too! Good for business, but sad for everyone else. I think my friends will rebuild, I really hope they will. I loved going there every week to get milk and cream and half and half that I knew was local, and loved their cheeses, and was really getting to like seeing what locally raised meats they had for sale, was starting to get my bacon there once a month. Was planning on some chicken from them, too. And then the baked goods--I usually went in the afternoon so I didn't have a big choice of items but the breads and muffins were so good. I know it cost more than at the big chain grocery store, but it all tasted so much better, and I like knowing where the food is coming from.And to be able to get it all from one place where I know the people and could visit for a minute or two, it was the highlight of my day. I hope Leslie had a good time, and I hope you and your GFs have a good time, even if it is a two day in a row thing! You'll have plenty of time to recuperate after!

Lit Teetotaler's DOTD:

"I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival." Audre Lorde Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/15/2007 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 3/29/2007 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/10/2007 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2007 Hormonal Therapy 4/25/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/15/2008 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 6/21/2010 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Dec 25, 2017 10:00AM - edited Jan 10, 2018 07:49AM by Teka

This Post was deleted by Teka.
Note to self: I don't have to take this day all at once, but rather, one step, one breath, one moment at a time. I am only one person. Things will get done when they get done.

Dec 25, 2017 10:58AM illimae wrote:

Patricia, my MO suggested I reduce my drinking for overall health and being ER and HER2+, which I did. I do still enjoy red wine and beer but I decided not to the day before and 3 days after my infusion, just to be kind to my liver and kidney. As stated above though, it’s a personal choice.

Happy Festivus for the rest of us!

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+, HER2+ (IHC) Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 5/23/2019 External: Brain Surgery 1/22/2020 Radiation Therapy 2/17/2020 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 7/20/2020 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 12/4/2020 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Targeted Therapy Tukysa (tucatinib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Dec 25, 2017 10:59AM 11Patricia11 wrote:

Hi Native maine, Found 1/2 cm in left breast. Her = positive. Not young so I had Bi Lateral Mastectomy done, now in Chemo taking Toxal and Herceptin for 12 weeks then Herceptin for the 9 months every three weeks. Scared to death. Kidney function not as good as it was when I started 4 weeks ago. Hair just starting to fall out. I am not drinking at all now.

Dec 26, 2017 04:46AM NativeMainer wrote:

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Twofer Tuesday, masquerading as Monday. Sadie and I had a lovely Christmas day. Never got dressed. Lounged around reading and sipping mulled wine. Made a couple loaves of bread. Chatted with Mom on the phone for a bit. Watched the snow and wind do its thing. Boy that wind did blow for a bit, too. The weather people were talking about blizzard conditions, and given the lack of visibility I think they may have been right to call it that. Was listening to the scanner all day, for a while they even pulled the snow plows off the road cuz the visibility was so bad, and people calling in car accidents were told to stay in their cars and not try to move and not expect help for possibly several hours, unless there was an injury, and then a plow truck would be sent out with the ambulance, and often a police car as well. Now the temps are going to start dropping and the next few days are supposed to be quite chilly. Welcome to winter in Maine!

Teka--sounds like we had the same kind of White Christmas!

Patricia--I can relate to the being scared feeling, we all can here. It's a very scary time. Not drinking, or as we refer to it here, virtual drinking is a good place to start. By the time you get through the first part of treatment you'll know more about your statistics and have had a chance to talk to your MO about drinking and do some of your own research. Make sure to take good care of those kidneys, they're kind of important, too.

Lit Teetotaler's DOTD:

Image result for Boxing Day drink recipe

Dec 26, 2017 08:50AM Jazzygirl wrote:

Good morning friends- happy post Xmas and happy Boxing Day to our Canadian friends here. Hoping everyone had a nice holiday weekend and that you have a good day today if you are still celebrating. And then there is always New Years Eve on the horizon!

I had a great time at the hot springs, which is my favorite way to spend the Xmas holiday when I am not working or traveling to see family. I went up Sat morning and came back yesterday, and enjoyed some nice soaking, 2 treatments, a yoga class, lots of reading time, journaling, etc. The weather here has been mild, but was colder and windier on Sat so brrr getting in and out of the pools.

I came back to town yesterday and went to some friends house, then later to a client's open house party. All went well but dang was I tired by the time I got home. Unpacked only the essentials from the car and went to bed! Up today to get settled back in and doing laundry.

I hope everyone had a good one and will be back again with more soon!

Dx 9/14/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/14/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/14/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/6/2013 Breast Radiation Therapy 2/24/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/20/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 26, 2017 08:11PM ChiSandy wrote:

Merry Christmas & Happy Boxing Day! As to the latter, only one gift I gave has to be returned: I didn't know Gordy already had that book.Had a great time with our friends last night--took a Lyft there and another friend drove us home. DOTD was a couple of 2011 Williams Selyem Pinot Noirs--the Westside Road Neighbors vineyard and the Sonoma Coast. Opened the Westside Road first, because it was pricier and there was a possibility we'd only need one bottle. Well, it went pretty quickly. A bit more austere and Burgundian in style than I've had from that winery (in the Russian R. area of Sonoma County). So we opened the Sonoma Coast, and it was delightful: fuller body, fruitier with distinct cherry notes. Wish we'd been allocated more than just one bottle. (The way the winery works, because it's so small, is that a subscriber recommends you, and three times a year you get an e-mail announcing your allocation--which is the maximum number of each wine you are allowed to buy, but never more than 6 bottles of one wine. Usually, the priciest and least expensive are the first to run out. The next allocation will be the 2015s & 2016s).

Woke today to find it was 1F and our housekeeper didn't come in. No surprise--in this weather I wouldn't go outside either. Found her text on my cell, and called her: the heater in her car had croaked and she was at the dealership getting it fixed. But there was no message on our landline answering machine. Come to think of it, there were no messages since Sat.! That was when the readout on the handsets suddenly started saying "New VM." I would push the VM soft-key, only to get the readout "Call phone co. for VM access code." First time it happened, I called my provider, only to confirm we didn't have voicemail--because our phone system has a built-in answering machine. I figured this was just a glitch, so every time that "New VM" readout came up, I would make it go away (had to go to the mfr.'s site to find out how). Still kept happening, though--and I realized there were all these messages that were disappearing into the ether, supposedly irretrievable. (We usually let the machine pick up for any number we don't recognize or don't want to answer, which is most of the calls we get).

So I went online to figure out how to revive the answering device--purged all the messages, turned it off & then back on, adjusted the number of rings. But oddly, there was no way to even play our greeting, much less change it--none of those options were available onscreen nor in the user manual. Went to Panasonic's website. Live chat is down. Tech support phone desk is closed till at least tomorrow (and since the thing's out of warranty, it'd cost me nine bucks just to say "hi"). "User community" was no help either. So before popping for a new phone system (which wouldn't arrive till at least Thurs., or would require I bundle up and brave Chiberia), I decided to call the phone co. to find out how much adding voicemail would cost and how long before it'd take effect. It took me three tries: each time I reached a live human being, I was put on hold for the "home phone desk." First time, I got disconnected. Second time, I got a recording telling me to dial my own phone number, only to get a recording that "this service can be accessed only from the primary phone on this account." And then they hung up. (Say WHAT? That was the number I was calling from; did they mean I had to scrounge around for the original handset, one of two that came with the phone--I'd added two more?). Third try, the tech tried to access the appropriate help desk, only to find that the first techs were listed as "still logged in" to my account. Finally, she was able to get through, and told me the service is free (why didn't the first guy I called on Sat. ask me if I wanted to set up voicemail?); she got it authorized and I finally set it up. To retrieve messages, we'll have to jump through a few hoops: dial the VM, then punch in our access code--with the answering machine, all I had to do was press "play." Meanwhile, I had to go on Facebook to tell people that if I didn't answer my landline, they needed to hang up and either call my cell or leave a FB message. I was able finally to go back on FB and give the "all-clear."

That was how I spent most of my day. Really. I did just go to Amazon and buy a fifth handset and charger so Bob could have a bedside landline phone instead of making me hand my handset over, or wait to get paged and return the page using his cell. Ah, technology!

No housekeeper tomorrow, but I already knew that her hubby has an eye appt. (requiring pupil dilation) at the V.A. and she has to drive him. We're hanging in there. Luckily, I have nowhere to go, nothing to do until she gets back Thurs. to help me get the place ready for New Year's Eve: we host dinner at a neighborhood restaurant first and then walk back here for champagne. Given that it'll be below zero, though, I will have to teetotal at dinner so I can be a "shuttle service." (Or maybe one of my teetotaling guests might be willing to do that).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 26, 2017 08:34PM Jazzygirl wrote:

Dec 27, 2017 04:59AM NativeMainer wrote:

Good Morning, Loungetttes! Happy Chilly Hump Day! 2 degrees, feels like -6 with wind chill. Some places with wind chill of -30 in the state. Very chilly. Had an interesting moment at work (Hospice) yesterday ayem. There's a big meeting every other week where all the patients are reviewed, each patient needs a special note written in the computer before the meeting starts. One of the clinical managers gave a list of 5 or 6 patients to one of the new nurses 10 minutes before the meeting started and told her she needed to do them ASAP. The nurse said she didn't know how to do that yet, the clinical manager told her to "get one of your friends to help you" and walked off! I was floored. This was from the clinical manager that is leaving to be a director in another office.Then I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote out the instructions for getting to those special notes, and what to write, and walked her through the first one. Then she had to run off to the meeting, which had already started. I was so upset for her. Giving a new person a new task with a very short deadline and no education on how to do it is just not right. Not sure what, if anything, I can or should do about the situation beyond what I did. Fortunately, the rest of the day was quite nice. Still, I was happy to get home to cuddle with Sadie and get my feets warm again!

Jazzy--Getting into and out of the hot tub in cold weather was always an interesting process when I had a hot tub. Especially the getting out part! But the soak is sooooo worth it! Nothing like loads of laundry to underline the return home from a nice trip.

Chi--that wine allocation system sounds like a good way to get some good wines! Don't you just gotta love technology when it glitches like that? I swear there are people in the phone companies whose job it is to mess up the workings so that people need to call in so they have a chance to sell more services! Glad you got your issue worked out without extra costs, but boy the run around you got!

Jazzy--how I wish I could dance like that!

Lit teetotaler's DOTD:

Mandarine Cosmopolitan Ingredients

Directions

Shake all the ingredients with ice and fine strain in a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a flamed orange zest.

Best served in a Cocktail Glass.

Dec 27, 2017 07:17AM camillegal wrote:

Mornin'

Just got done reading, Welcome Patricia, oh how I felt for you when u said ur scared, I think we've all gone thru that feeling, but it does fade more with time nd u have loads of help with these boards of topics, especially knowing what others have or are going thru u actually feel like everyone else. This is where u feel normal.

Sandy I read every word u said and I could never in my life figure out all that u did with ur answering thing. But I did like the wine part, I understood that...Sounds like a fun New Years ur planning too.

Kim u are truly the best in what u do and so kind to everyone around you. That was so nice that u helped that befuddled nurse, but that is something u would always do Ur Christmas with Sadie sounds lovely especially with ur weather, I still miss my Katie Kat.

Jazzy u came home exhausted, u must have had good time, I'm so glad.

Well Christmas day we all stayed home, Joey had a fever, Leslie was not feeling well and by the time I was ready to go I was drained and weak, I worked all morning---busy again. ALL FURNACES and guys did what they could, I felt so sad and Joey was trying to cheer me up, oh well. I did go out to lunch yesterday so that was nice saw my sister and cousin and most of my GF's made it, and was it cold, funny part was years ago we'd say I love that bracelet, I want it---now it was they liked my walker and wanted that---unfortunately now they all could use one, they are being stubborn so we shared mine---back and forth, and my one GF made sure I felt her boobs as we do once a year---she still has them and big too. We had some good laughs, so when I came home to relax my phone started up LOL and started at 6am this morning.

Oh Teka u sound like u live next to KIM, weather wise.

OK my phones.

LUBS U ALL

Dec 27, 2017 08:18AM goldie0827 wrote:

Hey all and welcome to our new loungettes. Not going to comment on everyone, just a few comments.

Cami, I'm glad you got out, but sorry that Joey is sick and of course all that Leslie is going through. I hope she doesn't get what Joey has!

Karen, I hope you were able to enjoy your Xmas with DF and DD.

NM, you are the best, what can I say. So very kind.

Got a new desk yesterday for in the house, matches our entertainment center and end tables. Barely got it into my FJ. Star Wars (not a fan) Imax and 3d was good. Would be the only way I would see it. Story line was ok, special effects great.

My hands and feet are just getting worse. By the end of the day they hurt and burn so bad! The soles of my feet feel like they are terribly sun burnt and that I'm walking on very course sand. Hand burn too, and doing anything hurts. I may have to take more than a week off my FU pills. Labs this Thursday, should be able to see TM's on Friday, and onc next Thursday. I'm scared to change treatment. Makes me feel like things are going down hill for me. Going today to a new place here in Phoenix, aquarium type thing with dolphins and a butterfly exhibit. I can't believe how expensive these things are....geeze! I don't know how a family of 4 or more, can afford it. Heading home tomorrow.

Image result for sedona entertainment center

Image result for sedona roll top desk

Image result for sedona roll top desk

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP! Dx 3/27/2008, DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2014, ILC, Right, Stage IV, 2/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 27, 2017 08:21AM karentwriter wrote:

Hey everyone! It's been a crazy round. Just now starting to feel good and not all that great. :) So I'm going to get caught up on some writing for my book I think. I haven't worked on it in quite some time. But I'm still here. Looking forward to the less aggressive chemo to start next week and less side effects...So they tell me. It's Taxol and weekly.

I'll be back.

Dx 9/28/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 10/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/6/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 3/15/2018 Breast

Dec 27, 2017 07:27PM ChiSandy wrote:

Nice desk, Lori. Dunno what could be causing your hand & foot skin problems--there's a chemo side effect called "hand-foot syndrome," but it's a neuropathy (sensations), not a skin issue and it's associated with I.V., not necessarily oral chemo. Maybe for the skin issues using a heavy-duty cream or ointment under cotton socks & gloves might help--though that's not exactly comfy in desert heat,

Cami, so sorry everyone was under the weather on Christmas Day, but glad you made it outside yesterday (I'm still hibernating).

Everything's fine with the phones now (I got Bob his own handset for his nightstand so he doesn't have to make me roll over and hand him mine--but 9 times out of 10 I'm the one who has to tell him it or his cell is ringing or his pager is buzzing. He stays up till 4am watching TV to get sleepy, so unless I use earplugs and a sleep mask so do I. My sleep is always so fragmented because of that, so that's why I'm such a slug-a-bed, arising at the crack of noon). I got a reply from Panasonic's user-community moderator, which told me nothing I already hadn't known before asking my question. I am so sick and tired of customer-service reps who either know little-to-nothing about their products or just parrot from a script rather than listening to the callers. Had she answered, "whoa, that's a new one on me--I have no idea!" I'd have appreciated her honesty and the capriciousness of technology. But I have no tolerance for people afraid to admit that they don't know something.

Bereft of leftover food, I ordered out for salad & pizza (from a new neighborhood place), so I might have a little Pinot Noir left over from Sat. night's meal out.

Dec 28, 2017 02:10AM camillegal wrote:

Here I am with ?????????????????? like crazy. but first----Lori those pieces are lovely, nd I do know the pain and redness is a form of neuropathy, but that's all I know only cuz Leslie is having that now and it sounds like hers. Maybe they should give u a break, wellthese gals know so much more than I ever did, but the way ur skin looks, it does look painful, I don't know but I can't imagine them not being able to help you. Dammit this effin disease stinks.

Sandy when I went out Tuesday it was so cold, I had flashbacks from winters that were miserable, u almost couldn't wear clothes warm enough nd I wasn't outside long and the restaurant was cold, we went to Kona Grill and there were cold spots everywhere, stupid us didn't say a word. My food was good but not great and way to expensive for a sandwich and wine was recockulous <to me>---house wine. Good thing I love the people I was with.

Karen u must be feeling better now, oh this is not right u r so young and whatever I say about my DD please don't think it's typical, so don't let anything scare you and u too Patricia, it's just part of her crap, not yours.

OK. Leslie went to the Dr. today and had a test---well now they are saying this chemo really didn't help shrink anything, in fact her nodes got brighter, so they want to operate within 2 weeks, now she's freakin' out cuz it didn't work. I did explain why it doesn't sometime work, that's why they take the test so good that they found out. Now she wants recon and they are only taking one breast, which I hate cuz ins. doesn't cover the other, that's what happened to me so that's why I had 2 operations for this crap. I m so much more concerned about the cancer than the stupid recon, but again I tell her some BS to ease her mind. To me it's just get it out and leave it alone---she's prone to so many infections that r crazy her whole life. Even her GB operation gave her months of trouble. Well I now wish I did pay attention to what was going on, cuz I'm making things up so it sounds normal, for all I know it might be for this crap. Her operation was supposed to be at the end of Feb., now they're trying to get all these Drs. ready for ASAP.---but here's the topper we talked alone and she asked if cuz the nodes got all goffed up, is she going to die....well I wanted to scream and slap her then cry, but I didn't and explained my theory of the word "journey" that people use---Journey sounds peaceful and this is not so she's getting this all mixed up and she has group of Drs, that are working together not one at a time like a few yrs. ago--the node thing is bothering me a lot, I don't know if there's a number that really makes things worse---I don't even know if I'm making sense, this is all crazy to me, I think I'm angry right now and my mind is filling with more crap. Can u gals give me any help here or is this another huge bump that just happens sometimes.

OK for now

LUBS U ALL

Dec 28, 2017 05:31AM camillegal wrote:

Another thing Leslie's GF is coming in today and spending the night here she is a nurse too so I'm so glad she can maybe give Leslie some insight and laughs, I thinks she's n ER nurse tho so her knowledge is more limited to so many different things, but she might help her with explanations. , Jazzy this is the wife of the Jazz pianist who's doing a concert somewhere round here that originally Les and Marty were invited to, but those plans are changed. But I still want to hear what u gals know <cuz I think it's more actually>

Dec 28, 2017 05:46AM Jazzygirl wrote:

Cami- so sorry to hear about Leslie's struggles. It sounds like the treatment plan was to do systemic first (chemo) and then surgery, but now because they chemo has not shown to be effective, they want to move to surgery. And there are concerns about recon and possible infections. So here are a few things the family may want to ask the doctors:

1) If she has surgery, what will be after given the scans have shown it is still in her nodes/systemic? Any other types of chemo, immunotherapy, other treatments for her particular case available?

2) Is lumpectomy an option at this point? To avoid any future issues with recon and possible infections? Pros and cons to LX vs. MX?

3) If MX is the better option, can recon be considered later? I know there are different kinds and different types recommended, some being harder than others? What kind of recon is best for her particular situation? Those to be avoided? How long can she wait to do recon (ensure she is better from the cancer treatment?)

4) With respect to the rest with fears of not making it, I remember that part only too well. They are overwhelming when you are in treatment and with not knowing what the future holds. I would say that sharing with her that the doctors are throwing everything at this to get this out of her system and for her to heal and feel well is key.

Do you have a family minister or priest that can help and come visit? Not sure how strong her faith is and if it would help, but a visit from a family church person might help?

All I can think of right now Cami, will post more as I think of suggestions.

Dec 28, 2017 07:44AM NativeMainer wrote:

Good Morning, Loungettes! 2 degrees below the donut this ayem, but brightly sunny. The bit of a breeze out there feels like a knife, though. Feels like 12 below when the wind chill is factored in. Not going to be spending any time outside today, I don't think. Even Sadie is going out and doing her thing and running straight back in! Actually, I should get out and do some shoveling, but I've got to find a hat, scarf and gloves before I do that. Probably should have hunted up those things before now, but I didn't. Good project for today.

Cammy--so sorry you guys weren't feeling well for Christmas. Glad you got out for lunch. I'm sure the people with furnace problems are very glad to hear your voice when they call. Nothing like having a real person to talk to when you are having a crisis!

Goldie--I'd like to have a new desk for the computer. I've put that on my "to save money for" list. I wish I could take away the pain in your hands and feet. I pray the numbers are all good this time around. The aquarium sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I know those kinds of places are so expensive, though. I wonder how families do it, too. Ooh, love that desk, it's what we used to call a "Secretary Desk" when I was growing up. The one in the picture is BEAUTIFUL!

Karen--glad to hear you are moving on to the next phase of treatment, praying it's easier for you.

Chi--Must be hard sleeping with someone with such a different body clock. I was sent to a different area for work yesterday, got to try a new little diner, they made a fantastic chicken alfredo with bacon. I'm going to try to recreate the recipe, shouldn't be hard, I have a good alfredo sauce recipe, just need to get the energy up to spend a day making linguini and other noodles and get some good quality bacon. I brought half the serving home and had it for dinner last night, it was just as yummy warmed up with a little extra butter and cream added to protect the sauce.

Cammy--How I wish I could give you a big hug right now. Poor Leslie, she must be feeling absolutely frantic. It's never good to find out the chemo isn't working and having surgery moved up. FYI, insurance HAS to cover surgery to a breast without breast cancer to achieve symmetrywith the breast with bc, or is removed and reconstructed. There are people at the cancer center who can help her understand her insurance coverage and help her get the pre-approvals and what not that she needs. As to the nodes involved and her dying, her MO should be able to sit down and give her statistics specific to her situation. This is probably just a bump in the treatment road. It's only been since medicine has started giving chemo before surgery more often that we've had proof that chemo doesn't work a certain percentage of the time. It's just that by giving chemo after surgery we could never identify who was benefiting and who wasn't. I'm glad she'd got a friend coming that will be able to help Leslie sort things out. As an ER nurse she may not know all the details, but she'll be able to look stuff up and help Leslie figure it all out.

Jazzy--Good questions for them to ask. And avery good point that a mastectomy can be done now, recon later. That's the road I went, mast, then recon that included prophy mast of the other side 2 years later. The time in between I used for research and getting back some level of health and fitness, and that was super helpful.

Lit Teetotaler's DOTD:

BRANDY EGGNOG

What You'll Need

How to Make It

1. In a cocktail shaker, combine the brandy, milk, simple syrup, and egg.
  2. Dry shake without ice.
  3. Fill the shaker with ice, then shake vigorously for about 30 seconds to ensure the egg is well mixed.
  4. Strain into an old-fashioned or cocktail glass.
  5. Add a dash of grated nutmeg or cinnamon as a garnish.

Dec 28, 2017 10:19AM camillegal wrote:

See I knew u gals could help me, I read this to Les and she actually listened and liked what u said, even about waiting for recon---This is all letting her know that there are choices to help her heal better and more questions-----I always said I know nothing, now I proved it.

Dec 28, 2017 10:25AM Cyndielou wrote:

hi ladies. Day 2 on the road. Should be home about 630 ish Pee emm. Rain the whole way. Ick!

Cyndielou ~ AKA~ *** Heidi Glitz-Kiss*** (CynCyn, Lucy) Dx 3/8/2012, DCIS, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/15/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 3/26/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/26/2012 Breast

Dec 28, 2017 09:23PM ChiSandy wrote:

Hi, Cami--from one Chicago "polar bear" to another. Although we're having a heat wave--it got all the way up to 14 today! As for Les, remember that one of the goals of neoadjuvant chemo is not just to shrink a tumor so that less extensive surgery will be necessary, or that chemo will work but to see which chemo regimens will work better. That her nodes are still "lighting up" and they're talking surgery means that afterward, they'll try a different type of chemo--to which stray cells are likelier to respond. But the focus has gone from "let's throw a different kind of spaghetti against the wall and see if it'll stick" to cutting out as much of the cancer as necessary first and then mopping up what might be left...but with a different "mop" & "detergent." First things first.

And I know every person's breast cancer is different, but my husband has a patient who was Stage III but had an arrhythmia that made some types of chemo inadvisable. She had a cardiac "ablation" procedure to regularize her heartbeat, a BMX, a different chemo regimen, an AI, and whole-breast radiation (including the clavicular nodes, not just the axillaries). That was five years ago--her hair is back to where she needs regular cuts & blowouts, her heartbeat is strong & steady, and she's NED. She's been a kind of "remote mentor" since my diagnosis, and we both ask Bob about how each other is doing. Another friend's wife, diagnosed Stage IV from the get-go, is still NED 14 years along...and still choreographing and teaching yoga.

A friend of mine who survived for 13 years (dx'ed with Stage IIB ER+ at only 29 and then with mets at 37) said that living with cancer is like having a pot simmering on a back burner. You just keep tending it and lowering the flame and throwing the lid on to keep it from boiling over when need be. "Am I going to die?" is a loaded and tricky question, since we're all going to die some day--even the youngest and healthiest ones. No one here gets out alive. The tougher questions to ask are "will this be what kills me?" and "how many years from now?" (and statistics say it will still likely be "years"). None of us can answer the first question for sure, unless we're pretty advanced in age and do or don't have anything else going on with our other organs...or if there is a bus with our name on it destined to hit us, a drug-resistant bug, or our plane falling out of the sky one day. And the proper answer to the second question, after "who knows, it's all just numbers anyway?" is "what can I do to make the most of my life, regardless of length?"

Page 1815 of 2,158 (64,717 results)