Topic: how about drinking?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Mar 28, 2006 11:40AM

Posted on: Mar 28, 2006 11:40AM

JanieMarie wrote:

Where did our thread go? Is anyone out there from our drinking group? Did I miss something - like we became too offesive or ...well, drunk?

I would love to hear from you gals!

Janie Log in to post a reply

Page 4 of 6,552 (65,516 results)

May 19, 2006 02:01AM rhymeee wrote:

bach,

Happy Birthday !

toasting you right now !

May 20, 2006 02:10AM bach wrote:

Thank you.

I had a couple of glasses last night and a delicious meal followed by a splendid dessert. I don't think I have ever enjoyed a meal so much in all my life. I was only saying earlier in the day how much of a chore it is having to eat and certainly didn't think I could stomach wine. I know many people are having a really bad time with chemo but I seem to be ok after about 4 or 5 days...I've only had one treatment (A/C) so far - does anyone know if it will it get worse for me?

It is sad reading that drinking is especially bad for those of us who are er+. I have been what the medical field would consider a heavy drinker. I won't give up entirely but I guess I should learn to do it in "moderation"...it will be worth it in many ways.

Nicole

May 20, 2006 04:47AM jaybird627 wrote:

Nicole,

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good one.

I don't remember if A/C got worse but just knowing what you're in for each time makes it seem worse I think. I found that after day 5 or 6 I was feeling almost 'normal' then felt good for a week then it started all over again. My nurses were great with the count (one down, halfway done, etc.) and I just endured like a trooper as they say.

I was initially upset to have to give up my mostly-every-night glass or two of wine but they said moderation (one) was okay. Well, no matter what I drank it didn't taste good (and I tried!) so I just gave up alcohol until my taste buds got back to normal which was sometime during rads.

My BC was hereditary so there's no way I'm giving up my wine or anything else. It's my choice and no one should judge me either way. I do not consume high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils which I believe will kill me a hell of a lot sooner than alcohol so that's my ecxcuse! I say live your life YOUR way and unless you have a totally unhealthy lifestyle then you're fine. JMO.......

Cheers!
Janis L
Jaybird. My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope - Ovid. Dx 3/5/2005, IDC, Right, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/5/2005 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant

May 20, 2006 06:25AM teresa817 wrote:

I did not drink during chemo because I felt just a little sick most of the time. when I felt well I did take a few sips here and there but was very cautious not to get drunk.I am over that now and I enjoy my martini(s) on the weekends just like before BC. I am nor er/pr+. My cancer seems to be genetic (brca1).

May 20, 2006 07:42AM pdgd wrote:

I'm so glad I found this thread! I agree... why DOES alcohol get such a bad rap! And I live in UT so there is added guilt! I read that folic acid reduces whatever increased risk there is from alcohol so I'm taking it! And (lol!) my sister called all excited because she had read about that too and wanted me to know so I wouldn't have to quit my wine habit!!! Here's to all of you!! Pam

May 20, 2006 05:34PM Drea wrote:

This is too funny. I'm new here, and I thought this was going to be a thread about the dangers of alcohol! The truth is I did greatly reduce my drinking, to almost nothing, not long after learning about my BRCA2 mutation, 5 years ago. I had read studies showing that it increased bc risk, especially in women with family hx, etc. and since I didn't want to do prophylactic surgery yet (I was 29 then), I felt I had to do everything possible to lower the burden on my defective BRCA2 gene.

I was dx'd with DCIS this past January at age 34. I got the call confirming the diagnosis on a Friday morning just before I went to work (I work evenings). When I got home, my partner (knowing I was stressed) offered me a beer. I immediately said, "Sure! What's it going to do -- give me cancer!?!?" I have been very fortunate in that I don't need chemo, so the only thing cramping my drinking since my dx was the period of heavy pain meds following my bilateral mastectomies. Since then I have been indulging whenever I care to. Even went out and bought some $$$ tequila and Cointreau and have been working on perfecting a margarita recipe!

Best,
Drea
Dx 6/24/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 20, 2006 08:31PM Stacysinger wrote:

drea,
This is my first post. I love Margarita's! I also love beer. I cut way back after my diagnosis. I usually just drink some on the weekends now. I guess you can't quit everything that you enjoy. I also say the same thing that you do sometimes (It might give me cancer!) You never know what is good or bad for you. We might as well enjoy this life while we are here.

Stacy

May 20, 2006 10:03PM sheila123 wrote:

I enjoyed my wine before BC, during treatment and since, I never one time thought it was beneficial to my health but I love my glass or two and will continue to. I am a six year survivior and isn't wine a food group??!!

I opened a thread on this a few years ago and got serious advice re the dangers of alcohol from many sources, but I had a huge following from many European BC survivors - they drink and smoke and they also have BC. We aren't going to get perfect because we were diagnosed with BC. We are just all trying to get along and everything that helps is cool.

I love you all. I always wanted to start a thread for sinners!!!
sheila123

May 20, 2006 10:42PM rhymeee wrote:

well, if your hormone positive........

meat
fish
dairy
cheese
booze
smoking

geezzzzzzzzzz

and the water is full of chemicls

sex?

sex and spring water?

:-)

May 21, 2006 04:40AM jaybird627 wrote:

Um, I think sex can be bad for you, too. Diseases. And I'd choose distilled water over spring water as who knows which 'spring' it came from asn distilled water is actually boiled. Just my three cents as usual.

(I'm not about to give up sex though as I get it so infrequently anyway)

Janis L
Jaybird. My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope - Ovid. Dx 3/5/2005, IDC, Right, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/5/2005 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant

Page 4 of 6,552 (65,516 results)

Scroll to top button