We are 224,899 members in 82 forums discussing 157,995 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Watching anything good this season?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 3, 2011 01:17PM

Marybe wrote:

Television is a good way to escape reality and I get very involved with the lives of my favorite television characters the same way I do when reading books.....in fact lately I have been reading the books and watching the TV series....did this with True Blood and just finished the first volume in the Game of Thrones series.   Although I was a bit leery when I first heard about The Big C, I really liked the show....love the characters and laughed out loud when Kathy was so excited about a finger nail falling off because it meant to her that the chemo was working.   Not everyone gets SEs, but I have found when I don't, it usually means a treatment is not working for me so I could relate her her excitement.

Boardwalk Empire, Hung, Nurse Jackie, Treme', True Blood , The Big C and Game of Thrones are my favorites on the premium channels.   I watch Revenge, The Mentalist, sometimes that one with Dana Delaney as a pathologist and I will check to see what is going on with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice if I think of it, but no longer can keep track of who is sleeping with Whom.  I also like Parenthood and am sure if you mentioned a few others would go,Oh,  I like that one also.   On occasion I will even watch Dancing with the Stars and find it amazing that they keep some of them who are so bad on until the very end.   There are some reruns I will watch if I see they are on like Seinfeld and Two and 1/2 men ( like the old ones with Bad Boy Charlie, but the new season with Ashton just doesn't do anything for me) .

I probably sound like I am watching television all the time, but I really am not and in truth am either reading at the same time I have a show on, or I am asleep.  TV is a great sleep aid for me and I used to love David Letterman, but have not watched him for years.   I like Ellen's show if I am home during the day.  Oddly enough even though I love cooking, I do not watch the Food network.

Invariably I like shows they take off.....Like Brothers & Sister's, Saint Elsewhere and Chicago Hope ( a long time ago, The Riches and one about this guy who was a detective and was thrown into another time era, but I forget the name of it (only lasted a season)  And then there are some shows I used to watch like the Office, Desperate Housewives, and The Good Wife, but just got away from for some reason.    

What are some of your favorites? 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Page 1 of 25 (730 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (730 total)

Nov 3, 2011 08:22PM Marybe wrote:

Isn't anyone going to post about their viewing habits?  I would so much rather be talking about this than my tumor markers. 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Nov 3, 2011 09:57PM Alpal wrote:

Good Wife and Harry's Law are my faves. Have free HBO right now and haven't watched it once! How bad is that? I've always watched a ton of Food Network and HGTV but seem to be getting away from that.

Allison Dx 7/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 3, 2011 10:06PM chrissyb wrote:

I'm recording and watching Game of Thrones and The Borgias.  I love, love, love the reruns of Law and Order with Det Lenny Brisko.  The rest of my viewing is spasmodic as the tele is on more for noise than anything else as I spend so much time on the computer!

I found my peace which gave me strength. 52 at dx. Dx 12/8/2003, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/12 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 3, 2011 10:37PM Alpal wrote:

Marybe - Harry's Law takes place in Cincy!

Allison Dx 7/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 3, 2011 10:42PM odie16 wrote:

I watch Biggest Loser, the new show Revenge, Whitney and Harry's Law. Also an HGTV junkie but have been known to have the weather channel on for background noise since I like their music...

Dx 6/27/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 3, 2011 10:48PM Marybe wrote:

I know it does....gives you an idea of what our fair city is like. 

Nov 3, 2011 11:15PM lulubee wrote:

I still miss Monk.  That was some great television.  The only thing I ever sit down to watch now is The Office, once in a blue moon.  Before that, it was Psych or Gilmore Girls.  Can you tell I hardly ever watch TV?

A while back a good friend got me to sit still long enough to watch an episode of Hoarders, which was horrifying but I couldn't turn it off.  Like watching a trainwreck, as they say.  Made me feel better about my closets!

~lulubee 

8/07: ILC & IDC, multi-focal/multicentric, ER+PR+ Her2-, no nodes. BMX+lat flap. 10/10: STAGE IV ILC bones, ovary & pericardium. 12/13 progression: bones & bile duct. 12/16 progression: bones & pericardium. 8/18 progression: bones. Hormonal Therapy 11/6/2010 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 11/6/2010 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2012 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy 5/15/2012 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 5/15/2012 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 10/1/2013 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 1/26/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 8/27/2018 Halaven (eribulin) Hormonal Therapy 3/13/2019 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 3/13/2019 Verzenio

Nov 3, 2011 11:20PM elimar wrote:

I'll be watching Top Chef which just began a new season.  I've been watching Weeds too, since it has come on a non-premium channel.  I just started to watch the new show American Horror Story.

For insomnia, I've been known to watch any from the Law & Order franchise, in the 2-4 a.m. time slot.  The more times I've seen the rerun, the more relaxing it is.  Since my sleep has improved in the past 6 mos., I've seen that less lately.

Oh, and I had some bonding with one son over the summer watching Supernatural (six seasons on DVD.)

Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 3, 2011 11:39PM GramE wrote:

I watch reruns of Monk, Gilmore Girls, My Name is Earl, the Big Bang Theory, the Sopranos, Little House on the Prairie, the Waltons, and most of the British sit coms - Keeping up Appearances, Are you being served, As time goes by, Faulty Towers, and I loved, loved All creatures great and small,, but that has been replaced with Larkrise to Candleford, which is quite good IMHO...  The detective ones are also good - Hercule Peroit for example.

Mike and Molly is about the only "new' show I watch.   It sounds like I spend all my time in front of the TV, but I do not try to catch each and every episode of anything.   I can't think or remember any others for now.   

Nancy 

Nov 3, 2011 11:56PM debbie6122 wrote:

I watch desperate houswives, greys anatomy and a new show that is on called "Person of interest" is really good, I hate to get hooked on these shows because Like you Marybe every show i like they take it off.

Oh and I like the xfactor too- and Harry law! 

masectomy, chemo, node positive Dx 12/20/2009, IDC, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 4, 2011 02:37AM Marybe wrote:

ok,3jaysm I am bumping.   I watched nothing tonight....woke up and Jimmy Kimmel was on

Nov 4, 2011 03:05AM - edited Nov 4, 2011 03:05AM by pickle

Alpal..free HBO. Take advantage of it. Boardwalk Empire is my fav HBO show. It's sooo good. And i like Bill Maher's show.

Then for non HBO, I like Modern Family, The Office, 30 rock and cooking shows. I love to cook (not bake) so just about any cooking show, except Rachael Ray and Martha Stewart. I absolutely loathe all the celebrity BS shows like Entertainment Tonight etc and honestly ...if I hear one more word about Kim Kardashian, I'll... I'll....well I don't know what i'll do...but I honestly can't take such crap. I'm not a fan of reality shows but I like some talent shows like Idol and x factor. Other than that, I am a news junkie. Real life, real peoPle, real stories although it drives me crazy that all the lead stories in the news are Herman Cain, MJ, the judge that beat his daughter, Kardashian and Lilo....News programming is turning into Celebrity reality TV.

On a lighter note...i have dvd's of my all time favorite show...Bewitched. I watched them all when i was doing chemo. The days that were crash days were spent watching disc after disc. My kids bought the whole series just before I started chemo....love it.

Beth

Dx

Nov 4, 2011 04:42AM - edited Nov 4, 2011 04:43AM by karen333

Me too for Law and Order reruns with Lenny Briscoe, I love the marathon days, even though I think I've seen them all.  When I can't sleep, like now, I watch CNN, then Piers Morgan, then The Early News, I'm all up to date in the world news department.  Eventually I get tired and go back to bed, good thing I'm retired, my schedule is seriously variable.  Karen

Dx 8/8/2009, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Nov 4, 2011 06:50AM Marybe wrote:

I guess I missed that you were getting free HBO, Alpal.....by all means watch BoardWalk Empire...it is my absolute favorite.  Steve Beshemi (sp) isn't exactly an attractive man, but somehow I find him appealing.  I guarantee you will like this show more than the books I recommend....(snicker).

Nov 4, 2011 07:01AM misswim wrote:

I do believe it is a nasty obsession, but I got very sucked in to the Real Housewives franchise during the last 6 months of surgery and chemo. Especially New Jersey. My goodness those women are a riot!

Dx 4/15/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/9/2011 AC + T (Taxol)

Nov 4, 2011 07:11AM Jules59 wrote:

I like The Big Bang Theory and I get my daily dose of politics on The Daily Show and the Colbert Report.  If you can't laugh about it you'll cry, right?  I love, love, love the Masterpiece shows on PBS.  I also watch The Doctors and Dr. Oz when I 'm not doing other things during the day, and my favorite cooking show is The Barefoot Contessa.

Jules Dx 1/24/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 4, 2011 07:27AM Racy wrote:

I don't watch a lot of tv but my favourite show that I never miss is The View. Some days are better than others but I always watch anyway. The other show that I watch every day is reruns of Seventh Heaven. And I do like Dr Oz but am not addicted.

Dx 2010, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 4, 2011 12:54PM Maya2 wrote:

I never miss an episode of "Supernatural" and I don't have any children to bond with. Now that "Medium" has finished filming, it's my favourite. I wish Animal Planet hadn't completely turned to producing freak show after freak show. I used to watch it a lot. But there's still "Nature" on PBS.

Nov 4, 2011 02:09PM voraciousreader wrote:

Marybe... Steve Buschemi grew up in my neighborhood. Everyone has a story about him... All of them are nice! He filmed one of his movies here and some of his production staff asked me questions. This Is before he became famous. Ed Burns also grew up here.

I like Antique Roadshow. And Law and Order.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Nov 4, 2011 02:55PM grdnslve wrote:

all i can say is i'm grateful for dvr.  dh is usually watching the outdoor channel, so i do alot of reading.  love the old british sitcoms- as time goes by, to the manor born,  & larkrise to candleford (book was interesting) are some of my favs.  new shows--addicted to the good wife, bluebloods (love tom selleck) and modern family really cracks me up. also for some bizarre reason i watch pretty little liars also like bad dogs and wish meerkat manor was still on.  dh refused to watch it after flower died.
delayed diep june 27, 2011 Dx 11/19/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 4, 2011 05:25PM 3jaysmom wrote:

hi marybe: i finally found the thread.. wouldn't have, if you hadn't bumped for mr, thsnks...

Now, THIS is something i can speak to..hahaha ALL  i DO!!!no matter if im watching, or not; its on...for white noise,as Chrissy says.hahaha

Our tv does get a workout, for sure.. i should say tvs. i leave mur to watch in the b.rm at nite, and come to liv. rm to computer, and tv; then, later, the tv in brm to sleep. I just can't doze unless i hear ples voices. been like that for years...

ANYWAY: (big breath) I am absolutely obsessed with reality tv; and am not afraid to say it.. I also, like new jersey the best!!!really disappointed with teresa; lately, she was my favorite.. I even made headbands like she had for her girls for my GD!!! Mur accuses me of not knowing their NOT REALLY my friends ( i wish i lived that lifestyle!!)and, im in love with Law and Order, but its anything with Eames and Goren.. i watch all the marathons, too!!!

i'm going to have to make some decision soon..i was STILL using a VCR till last week; its finally gone kaputz; and now; i don't know wether i want to get a DVR; or should i get more cable stations?..such a problem hahahaha

I know i had a friend visit recently, and she freaked out we had so many stations where we live..

im lucky. my cable, everything but thpremium is only 40.00, cause my landlord pays hoas which includes upgraded basic cable. i spend $$ on cable, and internet; but to ME; they're ESSENTIALS.. since i don't sleep much, nor get out much...

Marybe and i "shared" the last season of True Blood, and the Gypsy series on TLC...

does anyone know where "Ringer" is/// i want to find it, and catch up.. it looks good, and i like the girl...   something Gellar... Buffy right??

thanks for this thread, marybe.. im off to watch more tv!!! say yes to the dress is on.. another fav.....3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Nov 4, 2011 05:42PM fire-dancer wrote:

ooooh, this is a good thread!  I have several shows that I'm really into right now, Son's of Anarchy, True Blood (finishing these on Netflix to catch up on my DVR).  I also watch the new show, American Horror on FX, super-creepy, but really great! 

I'm catching/finishing up Rescue Me & Hung (netflixing).  I highly recommend United States of Tara, Toni Collette is phenomenal!  I'm going to try out Revenge, The Big C, & Boardwalk Empire this winter.

Other than these, I do Grey's, Private Practice, Modern Family & The Office. 

I sound like a TOTAL TV junkie, but truly I am not.  My husband and I just got cable installed last month for the 1st time.  We never watched a ton of TV, we only had like 6 channels for 15 years! I love Netflix, just to catch our shows when we feel like it, but now with cable I am getting into the whole DVR-thing, its addictive!

~Megan~ "...whatever tears at her, whatever holds her down...& if nothing can be done, she'll make the Best of What's Around" ~David J. Matthews Dx 8/26/2010, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 4, 2011 05:44PM elimar wrote:

We don't have the premium channels, but we do have Netflix

Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 4, 2011 05:46PM fire-dancer wrote:

Netflix is how I watched all these shows for years, until now...I am playing a game of "catch-up" with Netflix while I DVR the newest seasons on cable.  I only have premium channels for 3 months, so I am a DVR-ing machine ;-) ...trying to make sure I miss nothing!

~Megan~ "...whatever tears at her, whatever holds her down...& if nothing can be done, she'll make the Best of What's Around" ~David J. Matthews Dx 8/26/2010, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 4, 2011 06:30PM Marybe wrote:

I really liked the United States of Tara.....can't believe they cancelled that show.  Another one I used to love where the star was able to play all sorts of parts and personalities was the Tracy Allman ( did I spell her name right)Show....she was a scream.  I used to watch Animal Planet all the time, Maya.....it would really upset me and my friends would always ask, why do you watch it? and I would reply because I love it when the abusers get arrested.   With cable I have a terrible time finding channels and don't even know what channel it is on.   Dilemma tonight....Grimm( which I have not seen, but the radio says it is Friday night's #1 show) or Boss(which I have not seen either, but I do like Kelsy Grammer )  since I was told tonight they are going to show all the episodes up til now.  

Voracious, I imagine he looked like he does now, but in minature when he was a little boy....did he have skinny little legs and ears that stuck out?  

Nov 4, 2011 06:37PM fire-dancer wrote:

I saw one episode of Grimm and thought it was pretty good...have a good night!

Nov 4, 2011 06:52PM shannonW wrote:

I absolutely luv "Parenthood" and 'The Middle". That whole Braverman family and all the different dynamics...I can't wait for Tuesdays 9pm. And my entire family enjoys "The Middle". It's SOOOOOO funny!!!!

Dx 2/8/2011, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-

Nov 4, 2011 06:58PM o2bhealthy wrote:

Oh Marybe if you like dark fairy tales and a good detective drama you'll like Grimm...my kids and I are hooked...

Hi! My name is Michelle and I have a TV/Movie addiction...I am currently recording all the new episodes of; CSI, CSI: NY (hate CSI Miami - cannot stand the Horatio character), Criminal Minds, Prime Supect, Persons of Interest, Harry's Law, A Gifted man, Terra Nova, Walking Dead, Bones, Chuck, Once Upon a Time, Switched at Birth, Army Wives...that's all I can remember right now.  I also love Law & Order & NCIS marathons.   I like Glee, The Big C and a bunch of other series but I have missed too many episodes and get lost...I just watched "Jericho" on netflix all 28 episodes in 1 week and tried to catch up on Glee but only finished the first season...

We have 487 DVD movies (many of which we have watched several times)  We actually have a spreadsheet to keep track of them and I keep that spreadsheet on my phone so I do not accidentally buy 2nd copy of the same movie.   I love mini series like 'the Stand' and any doom and gloom, end of the world as we know it show (21012, Deep Impact, Armageddon, day after tomorrow, the Core, Volcano, Independence day...)

yeah I like TV Laughing

Michelle ~ DCIS and IDC - Thyroid Cancer dx 10-27-10, partial thyroidectomy 11-23-10 Dx 5/15/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 6/23/2009 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 7/19/2009 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/19/2009 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/12/2009 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2009

Nov 4, 2011 07:45PM voraciousreader wrote:

Marybe... I haven't a clue what he looked like back in the day! I am a newcomer... I only live in the hood for 30 years! But I would guess that your description of what he may have looked like sounds on spot from what I hear about him.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Nov 4, 2011 10:24PM - edited Nov 4, 2011 10:26PM by 3jaysmom

ohh..i justnew there was ladies out there, like me!!!! tv is the best invention since sliced bread, for someone esp in my circumstances.. how do you use netflix?>> i didn/t know you did tv also, on them..

I wished i lived near micheelle, and could borrow some of those movies!!! again, a friday night, and im having trouble with the website.. 3 wks in a row... hope you get caught up on Grimm, marybe. i think you'll like it!!.3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 25 (730 results)