We are 225,787 members in 82 forums discussing 158,452 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Watching anything good this season?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 3, 2011 12:17PM

Marybe wrote:

Television is a good way to escape reality and I get very involved with the lives of my favorite television characters the same way I do when reading books.....in fact lately I have been reading the books and watching the TV series....did this with True Blood and just finished the first volume in the Game of Thrones series.   Although I was a bit leery when I first heard about The Big C, I really liked the show....love the characters and laughed out loud when Kathy was so excited about a finger nail falling off because it meant to her that the chemo was working.   Not everyone gets SEs, but I have found when I don't, it usually means a treatment is not working for me so I could relate her her excitement.

Boardwalk Empire, Hung, Nurse Jackie, Treme', True Blood , The Big C and Game of Thrones are my favorites on the premium channels.   I watch Revenge, The Mentalist, sometimes that one with Dana Delaney as a pathologist and I will check to see what is going on with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice if I think of it, but no longer can keep track of who is sleeping with Whom.  I also like Parenthood and am sure if you mentioned a few others would go,Oh,  I like that one also.   On occasion I will even watch Dancing with the Stars and find it amazing that they keep some of them who are so bad on until the very end.   There are some reruns I will watch if I see they are on like Seinfeld and Two and 1/2 men ( like the old ones with Bad Boy Charlie, but the new season with Ashton just doesn't do anything for me) .

I probably sound like I am watching television all the time, but I really am not and in truth am either reading at the same time I have a show on, or I am asleep.  TV is a great sleep aid for me and I used to love David Letterman, but have not watched him for years.   I like Ellen's show if I am home during the day.  Oddly enough even though I love cooking, I do not watch the Food network.

Invariably I like shows they take off.....Like Brothers & Sister's, Saint Elsewhere and Chicago Hope ( a long time ago, The Riches and one about this guy who was a detective and was thrown into another time era, but I forget the name of it (only lasted a season)  And then there are some shows I used to watch like the Office, Desperate Housewives, and The Good Wife, but just got away from for some reason.    

What are some of your favorites? 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Page 2 of 25 (730 results)

Posts 31 - 60 (730 total)

Nov 4, 2011 09:31PM o2bhealthy wrote:

3jays - my extended family uses me as a movie rental store Laughing

I just got home...also recorded to DVR: Falling Skys, Unforgetable, Castle...

Did I mention I love action movies too Laughing

Michelle ~ DCIS and IDC - Thyroid Cancer dx 10-27-10, partial thyroidectomy 11-23-10 Dx 5/15/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 6/23/2009 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 7/19/2009 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/19/2009 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/11/2009 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2009

Nov 5, 2011 09:39AM Marybe wrote:

Well, I did not have much success with any shows last night.....thought I would watch Boss since it was showing the first two as well as the 3rd so I could catch up, but it took me forever to find Starz on the TV with the box.....the TV in the kitchen only has up to 60 channels since it it hooked up to the actual cable line so I was running back and forth trying to make a dessert for that Twilight party I am going to tonight ( Death by Chocolate...appropos' don't you think?) and didn't see half of the shows.....planned on switching over and watching Grimm at 10:00 since the 3rd Boss was airing again at 11 and discovered Grimm was on at 9 so I only saw the previews for next week. 

I have not seen Unforgettable, but that is one I wanted to watch....cannot imagine what that poor woman's thought process must be like since I often think my mind it too full of trivia from the past which contributes to my crappy retention for things I am supposed to be doing today, but can't remember......hate to blame it all on chemo brain.   Eat Pray Love was on last night late, but I fell asleep.  Ah well, I have Sunday to look forward to when I will watch Boardwalk Empire and Hung. Sunday has always been a good night for TV.  

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Nov 5, 2011 10:16AM kate2011 wrote:

Boardwalk Empire is my favorite.  I never miss that.

I just got into American Horror Story on FX.  I don't usually like scary stuff, but I can't stop watching this show!  It's really bizarre, though.  Definitely not for kids.  Jessica Lange is in it, and she is just so great.

I am looking forward to Shameless.  I don't even know when that starts up again.

I think my boyfriend is going to break up with me (again!  I really should not have taken him back after the first time).  So, I guess I will be watching a lot more TV since I can't sleep anymore (again).

Nov 5, 2011 10:23AM fire-dancer wrote:

I caught up on this past week's American Horror last night - sooooo good!  I love that stuff...I also saw tthis past weeks' The Walking Dead, it was a  good night for creepy stuff in my house!

Tonight I am flying solo, my hub is out for work, so I'm thinking of watching the pilot of Revenge to see if  should watch the few episodes I DVR'd.  Any thoughts about that show?  I heard it was pretty good...

~Megan~ "...whatever tears at her, whatever holds her down...& if nothing can be done, she'll make the Best of What's Around" ~David J. Matthews Dx 8/26/2010, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 5, 2011 10:25AM fire-dancer wrote:

Kate - I was typing when your post came in - isn't American Horror amazing?!?!

Maybe, have fun at your party tonite, the dessert sounds delish!

~Megan~ "...whatever tears at her, whatever holds her down...& if nothing can be done, she'll make the Best of What's Around" ~David J. Matthews Dx 8/26/2010, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 5, 2011 10:29AM DivineMrsM wrote:

I love "Dancing With the Stars".  It's so very entertaining on many levels, the dancing, music, hair, costumes, personalities.  Also watch "Glee".  

Have been catching all the episodes of "30 Rock" from all the seasons on Comedy Network. That show is hilarious.

I also like "Say Yes to the Dress" and "What Not to Wear". 

found lump 12/22/10~er+/pr+/her2- stage iv bone mets------------- Chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex------------- March2019/Ibrance-Aromasin---------- Sept2019/Verzenio-Aromasin

Nov 5, 2011 10:34AM - edited Nov 5, 2011 10:37AM by Maya2

"Ringer" is on CW Wednesdays 3Jays.

I won't catch "Grimm" until off season. It comes on the same time as "Supernatural" and that wins. "Fringe" is also on at the same time. Arrrggghhh!

I loved "Meerkat Manor" too--even after Flower died, but sadly, not when they changed narrators, me and 99% of the rest of viewers.

So glad you started this Marybe. I was about to stop posting. Can't take anymore BC talk. This is fun!

Nov 5, 2011 10:38AM kate2011 wrote:

Megan:  Yes!  My friend, Gary, got me started on American Horror Story, and I am seriously blown away.  It just gets better & better.  And I really don't like scary movies & stuff like that, but for some reason this is so the best show!  Can't figure out what's real and what's not.  And all the different crazy stuff that's happened in that house.

Do you know who is in the black rubber suit?  At first, I thought maybe it's Tate, but now I have no clue. 

Nov 5, 2011 10:41AM Alpal wrote:

How could I forget the two I never miss? Jeopardy and Antiques Roadshow. Have been watching them for years and years. I'm pretty good at Jeopardy unless it's Pop Culture. Maybe I should watch more TV?? Antiques Roadshow, hoping I'll discover some of this stuff I've inherited is worth something! My mother said it was valuable. LOL

Allison Dx 7/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 5, 2011 11:44AM - edited Nov 5, 2011 11:47AM by Marybe

My friend Cyndee tired out for Jeopardy and they said it could be a year before they called her, but they never did.  I think she went to Boston to try out....one of the big disappointments of her life that they never called.  I think I need to watch American Horror....when is that one on.....I really like Jessica Lange.  I forgot about Glee....really liked that one, but have not watched it since it started a new season.  And Shameless I really liked that one also....William Macy is one of my favorites...sort of a not very good looking sort of guy who can look downright creepy, but also appealing like Steve Buschemi.(thanks for the spelling VReader)   I never can remember the name of that show, Thanks....knew it started with an S but when talking about it would think Scoundrels, Scroungy, but never could come up with Shameless....I myself thought the daughter raising the kids should have gone with the cop.   I guess if I quit working, I could make a career out of watching television.  My one friend tapes everything and spends her entire day Sunday just watching what she has taped. 

Kate, Break up with him lst.  

Nov 5, 2011 11:56AM kate2011 wrote:

Mary:  Thanks.  I probably should dump him first.  It's so hard and I'm so depressed at the moment.  Oh well.

The show is on Weds nights at 10.  I got caught up on the first episodes On Demand and then watched one online.  Last week's episode will repeat on Tuesday, so by next week I will be all caught up.  It is really kind of scary & graphic and tortured.  I normally don't like that stuff, but it's really got me hooked. 

Nov 5, 2011 12:02PM GramE wrote:

Has anyone watched Toddlers and Tiaras?   I think it is downright cruel to make those little girls get manicures, false eye lashes, hair extensions and the cost of their outfits -- MY opinion is to take them to a fun, and/or educational place and have some quality family time -- and let them be children.   Call me old fashioned....

Marybe, your remote should have  a "guide" button.   You can then scroll the programs and channels.    My son "taught" this to me...    

If you like game shows Lingo is kind of fun.    

Nov 5, 2011 12:17PM Marybe wrote:

Toddlers & Tiaras....watched it over at my friend's who tapes everything once.....I was sort of intrigued by the little boy who would always win because he was the only boy in competition....am thinking maybe he is headed for trouble in later years.  It really is cruel all the pressure those moms put on their kids.

Nov 5, 2011 12:29PM Alpal wrote:

Everyone owes it to themselves to watch Toddlers and Tiaras once. Unbelievable!

Nov 5, 2011 12:31PM GramE wrote:

I had a thought - remember those "soccer moms"....    Would you all these moms "tiara moms" ???

Nov 5, 2011 02:14PM Marybe wrote:

My friend who is the expert at taping and who watches all her shows on Sunday, was here delivering a red lipstick for my Twilight getup tonight and she showed me where to find both primetime and entertainment on demand so now I can see both Grimm and Once Upon a Time that way...bad news is it's not like the premium channels and I can't see one or two of Grimm.   Also found out Game of Thrones is currently not on demand so I have to wait until it is closer to Season Two to go back and watch Season 1.  After reading the book and knowing more about who came from which house and a little more history on some of the characters, I was all set to watch the lst season again (since I am sure I slept through parts of it).  I let her take the other three volumes since I like the show so much I don't want to spoil Season ll by reading it lst.  Also I can watch American Horror.  I know the guide button GramE, but this way I won't have to scroll all the way through since these two on demand stations are in the 400's.  Who would have thunk it....I remember when there were only three stations and also the test pattern.

Nov 5, 2011 02:23PM elimar wrote:

Baby boomers all got their B/C from staring at that test pattern.

Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 5, 2011 02:40PM Alpal wrote:

I got mine from Winky Dink. Bet no one remembers that. I ordered the screen that stuck to the TV screen. Stood as close as possible to TV and drew on the screen. I guess over what Winky Dink was drawing. Little fuzzy about it.

Nov 5, 2011 03:04PM - edited Nov 5, 2011 03:05PM by hbcheryl

Marybe the detective show where he woke up in the 70s was "Life on Mars" BUT the British version from whence it came was much better than the American version although I thought they did an admiral job the British version was much grittier if you get a chance Netflix it. I watch DWTS and was always a Biggest Loser fan but not so much this season. I like the production value on the X Factor now they're at the final 12 or rather 11, it's more like a good variety show. NatGeo Wild just started a new series last week called Dr Pol he's an a farm vet in I think Michigan and he's hilarious, I wish Animal Planet would go back to their old ways nothing much on there these days, poor Flower she was their star I know it's nature but why didn't they jump in and save her they were right there with her. I love whoever invented the DVR you can pause, go back, start over and of course On Demand.

Dx 7/25/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 5, 2011 04:08PM voraciousreader wrote:

Marybe...I spelled his name wrong!  It's Steven B-U-S-C-E-M-I.    Had to look it up and as soon as I wrote down how he spells his name....I forget how to spell it!  Yikes!  And to make matters worse...according to Wikipedia...there are TWO pronunciations of his name.  I think I have a lot in common with him.  My name has two pronunciations and is hard to spell and hard to remember......Thankfully, we don't look alike!

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Nov 5, 2011 09:35PM elimar wrote:

I finally got a chance to see the Lifetime movie "Five" about the women with B/C tonight.  It was a pretty good representative mix of situations, simplified for t.v., of course.  Can't say I related entirely to any of the individual stories.  They would have to have had one visiting colleges with a high school senior and caring for a terminal parent at the same time, joining an online discussion board and eating a lot of Cheetos during radiation to get close to my story.   Heh-heh-heh! 

Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 5, 2011 09:58PM - edited Nov 5, 2011 10:00PM by fire-dancer

I recently saw Five also, I thought it was good for a TV movie.  I think that it covered alot in a short span of time, non of the exact stories were completely relatable, but there were parts that struck chords with me, I found myself watching and feeling for the characters and remembering some of those feelings from the beginning that we never quite forget.  I might watch it again to see if I catch anything different...I would definitley recommend it to you all if you haven't seen it yet,

Well, I was going to do Revenge tonight, but went with Parenthood for a few episodes.  That show is pretty great...although after watching Disney channel's, "So Random" with my youngest daughter before her bedtime tonight, anything would be enjoyable! ;-)   ...although the company I kept was pretty perfect!!! Smile

Nov 6, 2011 07:52AM - edited Nov 6, 2011 11:43AM by Marybe

Well, I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning (after waking up) watching Grimm....turns out there were only two (is that right) up until now and I was able to see them both...week one and two.  I am not sure if I am going to watch it or not.   Didn't you find it a bit unreal as to how strong his Aunt who was dying of cancer was when she was fighting off that creature in the hospital?  So my verdict is still out on that one. I like fantasy, but it has to be believable.   I still have to watch American Horrors.

HBCheryl....yes, Life on Mars....that was the name of it.  I loved that show.  I will have to check out the British version.  Someone had previously mentioned some of the British shows and said they watched Keeping up Appearances......I love Hyacinth and her screwed up family....when I am at my Dad's on the weekend, we always watch that.   I am not totally sold on that one with Judy Dench (sp)..what is it, As Time Goes By?, but I love her and think she is a wonderful actress. 

In that special Five, was I the only one who noticed that young women, the stripper, was not there with the husband and little girl at the dedication ceremony at the very end?  The segment I liked the best was the older woman who had her own funeral and told everyone off  and ended up getting remarried at the end and living happily ever after. 

Yeh, it's Sunday....Boardwalk Empire.  I do not watch daytime TV on Sunday unless I am feeling ill. Always have yardwork or other things to do.....should be going to church I suppose, but only go when I am in my hometown as I really do not belong to a church here.

edited later.....Ok, I will eat my words.....had to kill time while waiting for husband to return from lunch so we can go pick up a rocker I bought and watched American Horror replay.....I really like it, but I can't watch the lst two so am not sure  how it started out..   So now I am going to be watching this...Wed night is it? 

Nov 6, 2011 06:32PM fire-dancer wrote:

Mary - yes, I noticed that the stripper wasn't around in the last scene of Five, her story struck me because she was so young and at one point her scars were actually shown, kind of a big deal I felt.  I also loved the woman who married Monk (rememeber that show?!?).  Her monologue at her 'funeral' was intense and what I could only imagine at that time of her life, she felt like 'what the hell? I got nothing left to lose', feeling, but alas - a longer life was to be lived, now THAT was a great moment when she got her test results :-)

I'm now watching the Patriots game and waiting to watch some Sons of Anarchy from Netflix after...then early to bed for this Sunday night!

Nov 6, 2011 06:34PM fire-dancer wrote:

As far as knowing the background on American Horror, try going online and looking up episode synopsis', maybe that could help  - you'll definitley want some background to that show!!!

Nov 6, 2011 08:52PM sarah1968uk wrote:

Mostly, I like comedy if I get the chance to watch TV. My son loves much more grown-up stuff about nature, science and even current affairs than I do and he's only 12!  Anyway, LOVE Nurse Jackie. Big Simpsons fan. I also like Seinfeld re-runs and Monk too -  preferred the first woman he had working with him - Sharona? - and the later progs. did get a bit silly and almost a parody of themselves. Also enjoy The Big Bang Theory esp. Walowitz!  The Big C - series 1  - was OK. King  of Queens also funny. The British Life on Mars previously mentioned was also good. I liked the first series better (70s) than the second/third(?) of the 80s. Glad you enjoy Brit. sitcoms - suggestions - One Foot In the Grave - surrealish black-comedy and Father Ted  - 3 Irish priests living on a island parochial house - just brilliant!  Also  - 'Allo 'Allo  -WW2 comedy set in a French cafe - very silly!. Not sure if you can download these from somewhere. Historical drama fans should try Downton Abbey. Not seen it myself, but v.popular here at mo.

Sarah x

Dx 12/10/2007, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/14 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 7, 2011 12:17AM Marybe wrote:

Boardwalk was pretty exciting tonight....I wondered how long it was going to take Margaret to get with the Irish guy.  I also watched two episodes  of a show I forgot about,but really think is a good one....Enlightened....it's a good story line and I like Laura Dern. 

Nov 7, 2011 12:57AM Patty252555140415 wrote:

I am a Real Housewives fan , all of them . It seems to take my mind off of things... I so like DWTS, Modern Family,Ringer, Revenge, The Good Wife, Days of Our Lives,Sons of Anarcy,Jerseylicious,Say Yes to the Dress,HGTV,Kardashians, Sister Wives
Storage Wars,Pawn Stars,Hoarders, I watch these shows and forget all about my own problems. Lol I also watch my fav Anderson Cooper;)

Dx 1/5/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/15/2011 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 4/21/2011 CMF Radiation Therapy 9/3/2011 Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 7, 2011 05:16PM Marybe wrote:

DWTS....Dancing with the Stars, right?  Took me awhile to get that one.  I cannot figure out why the got rid of David Arquette  and kept Nancy Grace. Also is my imagination or they not losing weight as fast as they did on some of the previous ones?   We saw Anderson Cooper in NO.....lst on the street and then in the bar we went to.  I guess he goes there a lot. 

Nov 7, 2011 05:23PM D4Hope wrote:

I like the new showsRevenge and Suburbatory. I also like The Middle and Modern family.

I like horror stuff and am hooked on the Walking Dead. I watch Dance Moms to get a chuckle, those moms are so phoney.

Every day I wake up is a good day. Dx 2/2/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/29/2009 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 4/9/2009 AC

Page 2 of 25 (730 results)