We are 225,785 members in 82 forums discussing 158,451 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Watching anything good this season?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 3, 2011 01:17PM

Marybe wrote:

Television is a good way to escape reality and I get very involved with the lives of my favorite television characters the same way I do when reading books.....in fact lately I have been reading the books and watching the TV series....did this with True Blood and just finished the first volume in the Game of Thrones series.   Although I was a bit leery when I first heard about The Big C, I really liked the show....love the characters and laughed out loud when Kathy was so excited about a finger nail falling off because it meant to her that the chemo was working.   Not everyone gets SEs, but I have found when I don't, it usually means a treatment is not working for me so I could relate her her excitement.

Boardwalk Empire, Hung, Nurse Jackie, Treme', True Blood , The Big C and Game of Thrones are my favorites on the premium channels.   I watch Revenge, The Mentalist, sometimes that one with Dana Delaney as a pathologist and I will check to see what is going on with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice if I think of it, but no longer can keep track of who is sleeping with Whom.  I also like Parenthood and am sure if you mentioned a few others would go,Oh,  I like that one also.   On occasion I will even watch Dancing with the Stars and find it amazing that they keep some of them who are so bad on until the very end.   There are some reruns I will watch if I see they are on like Seinfeld and Two and 1/2 men ( like the old ones with Bad Boy Charlie, but the new season with Ashton just doesn't do anything for me) .

I probably sound like I am watching television all the time, but I really am not and in truth am either reading at the same time I have a show on, or I am asleep.  TV is a great sleep aid for me and I used to love David Letterman, but have not watched him for years.   I like Ellen's show if I am home during the day.  Oddly enough even though I love cooking, I do not watch the Food network.

Invariably I like shows they take off.....Like Brothers & Sister's, Saint Elsewhere and Chicago Hope ( a long time ago, The Riches and one about this guy who was a detective and was thrown into another time era, but I forget the name of it (only lasted a season)  And then there are some shows I used to watch like the Office, Desperate Housewives, and The Good Wife, but just got away from for some reason.    

What are some of your favorites? 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Page 3 of 25 (730 results)

Posts 61 - 90 (730 total)

Nov 7, 2011 06:25PM cp418 wrote:

Silly show but I've started to watch "The Big Bang Theory".  Sheldon is a hoot!!

Nov 7, 2011 06:30PM Fearless_One wrote:

My tastes run a little more dark....American Horror Story, Vampire Diaries, The Walking Dead...

lump/chemo/rads/hyster-ooph/mastectomy/implants

Nov 7, 2011 10:02PM 3jaysmom wrote:

caught up on ?Grimm last night. getting to like it more since its making more sense.. and dancing with the stars has been on, as i read these... Len told Nancy Grace tonight it was time for cinderella to leave the ball... AMEN

thanks to maya clearing things upo for me, i'll watch ringer tommorrow night... Later.......3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Nov 10, 2011 04:47PM Maya2 wrote:

Okay, I'll fess-up. I like "Say Yes, to the Dress." I don't know why. I'm not the least interested in fashion. When I married the first time, my mother told me to go pick out a pattern and my grandmother would make the dress. I didn't know you could buy one ready made. I was the perfect hippy bride of the early '70s. Maybe I like the show because I had so little choice the first time. Undecided

Nov 10, 2011 07:00PM Marybe wrote:

Well, after watching the latest episode of American Horror last night, I am thinking it is perhaps a bit too graphic for me.....I was sort of drifting in and out of sleep and every time I would open my eyes and look at the screen, there was some sort of violent act going on or a pool of blood and it did not make for good dreams last night.   I really like the Jessica Lang character though. 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Nov 10, 2011 07:54PM - edited Nov 10, 2011 07:55PM by dreaming

Person of Interest, Law & Order UK, Law & Order SVU, Doc Martin, all the mysteries and comedies from BBCA and PBS, Sons of Anarchy, Blue Boods,Terra Nova, Thank God for Netflix. Love British comedies.

When I was on treatment ages ago, with our support group members we would get a free suite in a 5 star hotel and have a slumber party, it was great, I owe my survival to all this friends,that even than some were terminal were full of love, we all worked together on memory books for them, laugh and tears and a lot of caring made this slumber parties the best.

After the mastectomy a second diferent cancer was found: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, C.F.M.: Dx 7/7/1991, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 10, 2011 08:35PM Marybe wrote:

I love slumber parties and just finished watching a show I love on demand, Enlightened. The main character is a mess, but really makes a lot of sense with her thinking and some of the characters she works with are really funny. 

Nov 10, 2011 10:06PM 3jaysmom wrote:

ciuldn't find ringer, on tuesday night..has it finished already??

i love say yes to the dress too! especially one we have here: randy knows best episodes...

my 1st wedding dress was custom.. daddy was paying! i had a beautiful wedding, in the winter, in Mass, with my bridemaids being in red velvet...

the 2nd one still going strong, i found my dress, which i loved, 2nd hand store for less than $100.00 and it was just as nice!!! the best part was; the lady at the store, saved a hat she had in the store.. We BOTH loved it!!!(see betsys' weddinglol) Mur wore it for 1/2 of the reception.. afterwards, my MIL told me you're not suppossed to wear one, to a Jewish wedding.. good chance, im irish, and got married by a retired minister..Huh???....3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Nov 15, 2011 12:47PM elimar wrote:

I've watched a few black & white "oldies" on TCM lately.  Remember when Turner wanted to "colorize" everything?

Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 15, 2011 01:02PM rgiuff wrote:

Any Madmen fans out there?  I just recently finished watching the entire 4 seasons on DVDs from the library, and they have to continue this series, they just have to!  We don't have HBO, so I caught up with all the Sopranos the same way.   I also absolutely loved Friday Night Lights.

My daughter watches all those reality series, Toddlers and Tiaras, 16 and Pregnant (I highly recommend that teenage girls see this show).   Also Sister Wives, LI Medium (who lives right near us), 19 Kids and Counting.  She's gotten me hooked on a lot of these shows.  I now love Say Yes to the Dress, What Not to Wear, and that Gypsy show.

And of course, every week, I have to see Greys, Private Practice, Desperate Housewives, and Survivor.

RoseG Dx 4/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/6/2008, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2008 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/20/2008 Breast

Nov 15, 2011 03:14PM DivineMrsM wrote:

OMG, I LOVE Madmen!  I started watching it the first season and was hooked on it.  

DWTS, yes, I don't think they're losing the weight like some have done previously.

Ok, how about "The Big C".  Anyone watch it.  I think its on Showtime.  I just got the 1st season dvds from my library and have seen 5 episodes so far.  I love it.  I hate it.  Am thinking of starting a thread on just this show itself due to the  subject matter. 

found lump 12/22/10~er+/pr+/her2- stage iv bone mets------------- Chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex------------- March2019/Ibrance-Aromasin---------- Sept2019/Verzenio-Aromasin

Nov 15, 2011 03:24PM elimar wrote:

rgiuff,  I have seen Long Island Medium.  I kind of like her.  If I lived near you, I would be trying to bump into her "by accident" just to see if she would zero in on me.  My gut instinct says all that is hokey, but you never know.  My husband's cousin lives in Franklin Lakes, NJ where they do the New Jersey Houswives show.  She is Italian...but not like that!!!

Nov 15, 2011 05:13PM Marybe wrote:

Divine, I love the Big C!!  I love the way she did her bucket list (or at least tried, had some obstacles with the pool)  on the lst season and the 2nd season was even better.....really great surprise ending.  I really liked the neighbor, Marlene.  And it's been nenewed so that is the good news so there will be a 3rd season.  At lst I did not think she fit with her husband at all, but then I got so I liked the guy.  We talked about the show earlier in the thread.  We watched it in MO, Elimar, remember? 

I guess I need to watch MadMen....my boss has been raving about it for years now. 

I actually saw Enlightened last night.....usually forget it is on and have to watch it on demand....discovered Boardwalk Empire is on right after it on Mon night so if I watch it then, that would free up my Sunday primetime and I could see how Desperate Housewives are doing this season. 

Nov 15, 2011 06:25PM DivineMrsM wrote:

cp418, I just recently started watching "The Big Bang Theory" (on my sister's recommendation) and was surprised to find out it's pretty funny.

Marybe, I also think the couple on the Big C seem like an odd match.  I'm only on episode 5, so maybe the husband will grow on me, too.  I like her neighbor, too! And her brother, as he's a TV character that I haven't really seen before.   And you've intrigued me about the second season.  Some stuff on that show, tho, is a bit outrageous. For example,  I don't think the skin doctor would really be remotely interested in her.

found lump 12/22/10~er+/pr+/her2- stage iv bone mets------------- Chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex------------- March2019/Ibrance-Aromasin---------- Sept2019/Verzenio-Aromasin

Nov 15, 2011 10:08PM - edited Nov 15, 2011 10:12PM by Marybe

I seem to have a very difficult time staying awake for programs these days....fell asleep watching Glee and woke up to Raising Hope....do any of you watch that show?  It is actually very funny if you like dysfunctional families and boy, are they ever.  Cloris Leachman is the grandmother and she is so funny and I also like just all the characters.  Now I am going to go doze on and off through Parenthood.  

Oh re Kathy and the doctor in the Big C.....you will discover she is appealing to quite a few men as the series goes on.  Did you see her in Kinsey?...I think she is a really good actress. 

Nov 16, 2011 02:25PM Marybe wrote:

I ended up staying awake until 4 AM, after my initial dozing, watching several shows on demand and two movies.  I was going to quit watching American Horror for sure, Elimar, when I thought they blew up that little dog in the microwave....thought OK, that does it, enough of this show.......but I had to watch the episode to see how it ended and found out it was tomotoes the woman blew up.   Whew!  I am afraid if I didn't work at all, I would spend days doing nothing but watching tv.....there are new series on there that I have never even heard of. 

Nov 16, 2011 03:00PM fitzdc wrote:

Like' Madmen', Breaking Bad' and all Law and Order' shows. Also like the gritty dramas - 'The Wire', 'Luther'.  For comedy, like old PBS show 'As Time Goes By' .  Now watching "The House of Eliott' fashion series set in England in the 20s.  Good story, lovely costumes.  And just started ER from the beginning....love it!

Teresa Original diagnosis on 9/27 of DCIS - Stage 0 grade 3; UMX on 12/1 Surgery 12/1/2011 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement Dx 12/11/2011, IDC, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 3/15/2012 Surgery 6/13/2012 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 12/13/2012 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Nov 17, 2011 07:50PM - edited Nov 17, 2011 08:13PM by elimar

Elimar's pick of the night:  Swampsgiving (on The History Channel)

Don't think I'd be giving anything away if I guess they'll be serving up gator.

(p.s.  No offense to my gator-eating swamp sisters.)

Nov 17, 2011 08:50PM rgiuff wrote:

Now I'm intrigued about this Big C show.   I never heard of it before this.

Elimar,  I usually take my dog for half hour walks and try to vary the terrain.  I could easily stroll over to the LI Medium's block and see if I could run into her, although it would make the walk a bit longer than usual.   And LOL, I had thought the same thing, how great it would be if she felt "something" in my presence.  The show makes me laugh because she looks more like a mobwife than a Medium!

RoseG Dx 4/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/6/2008, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2008 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/20/2008 Breast

Nov 18, 2011 06:25AM Jules59 wrote:

I watched show #1, season 2 of the Big C on the internet.  I so wish I had Showtime so I could see the whole series.

Jules Dx 1/24/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 18, 2011 06:58AM DivineMrsM wrote:

Marybe, even tho Laura Linney is quite a popular actress, I have never liked her!  Along with that, I find that much of "The Big C" is complete ridiculousness and removed from reality.  Ha, ha, but the joke's on me because I'm still entertained by it!  I've finished watching the 1st season.

Jules, I don't get Showtime but was able to get the first season of the big c series from my library.  Maybe you can get it thru your library as well.  Now I have to wait for the second season to come out on DVD; looking forward to it.

fitzdc, when it came on cable, I started watching all the ER episodes from the beginning, too.  This was a number of years ago.  It's such a good drama.   

Nov 18, 2011 10:45PM kate2011 wrote:

Oh, it's Friday.  I might as well admit I love watching The Soup and Fashion Police.

Nov 19, 2011 03:51AM Marybe wrote:

Sometimes both Showtime and HBO will have a free weekend.....usually they announce it a few weeks before.   Last night I fell asleep during Private Practice,   tonight only saw half of Letterman before dozing off.   I am finding it to be a good sleep aid, but will have to make myself stay awake for my Sunday night shows.  I did see a little bit of Grimm tonight, but was in and out of the room trying to get some things picked up.....I like the wolf guy who is helping him.

Nov 20, 2011 07:12AM 3jaysmom wrote:

i misse dit, this week, Marybe, we both weren't sure in the beg.. just goes to show ya...

all my favs have my name on them, and ive taken the thyroid pill, so off to bed, before my eyes swell shut... gonna look for catch up, and see if this wks is there,yet....don't kill yourself overdoing at daddys for thanksgiving!!!..........3jays

Nov 20, 2011 09:20AM Marybe wrote:

Last night I went to bed and was going to go right to sleep because shopping wore me out, but of course I turned on the tv.  The Mentalist was on and I always liked that show.....like the star although I don't know what his name is, Simon something.  He used to be in the Guardian and some show I watched before that even.  I was really surprised to see it on Sat. night and it was not a rerun so am wondering when they moved it.  I won't kill myself with Thanksgiving, 3jays....it will be the days after that do when I am finishing up my faux finish on the walls and trying to get the house whipped into shape before the party the following weekend.  

My father has this huge old TV in the living room with the back that sticks out and I am going to pay someone to come haul off, but I am going to tell my father I sold it and give him $150  which should make him happy.  The agreement was we were to get rid of it when we bought the big flat screen (a year?, maybe it's been two yrs ago) for the family room, but that big thing is still there and very much in the way.   It comes in handy when he is watching Lawrece Welk if I am there on a Sat. night, but I can always go upstairs if there is something I really want to see.  

Nov 20, 2011 10:13AM fairweather9 wrote:

Well I might as well jump in here as I love TV.

Right now I am watching Bones, Big Bang Theory, The Good wife, Greys Anatomy, Dexter, Body of Proof, Castle, Two Broke Girls and The New Girl.  I love netflix, you would have to pry my roku box out of my cold dead hands.  So many wonderful series that over the years I have missed and are now available.

Currently I'm working my way through the Ghost Wisperer, I'm saving all 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for when I have my surgery, haven't watched that start to finish in years. Oddly having it to look forward to kind of helps lol.

Marlene

Dx 10/29/2011, 2cm, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 21, 2011 02:34AM 3jaysmom wrote:

Marybe: we have the old big screens, also.. one in the liv rm; and one, way up on a dresser in out bedroom... i can't see any other tv but them... both  were given to me, when ple got new flat screens. we wouldn't be ABLE to afford the flat screens, but big IS  better!!!... maybe you could put it on craigs list for free to someone.. or the recycle one... im sure there's someone who would be thrilled, like I was when someone gave me mine... just a thought.. you Might not be able to "sneak" that by daddy. i know im SOOO grateful for someione elses cast offs......3jays

Nov 21, 2011 10:43PM Marybe wrote:

The tv gets a good pic, 3jays, but it just takes up way too much room and weighs a ton. It would take two weighlifters to budge the thing.   Those flat screens have come way down in price and I got a great deal on the one I got for my Dad's family room.  

So tonight I watched DWTS off and on.....was running in to see who was dancing and then going back to my sorting and trying to clean off the DR table.....did not see Ricki Lake, but did see the other two.  Then I switched over to HBO to watch Enlightened and a friend called whom I have not talked to for awhile and she needed to talk cuz she's got all sorts of crap going on in her life, so even though the tv was on, I missed most of the show.......I am hoping to stay awake long enough so that I can see it at 11.   That's the way HBO and Showtime work, if you miss it one hour, you can always watch it later.  BoardWalk Empire was good last night and so was Hung.  My Dad doesn't get any of the premium stations so I will have a lot of tv to catch up with when I come back from Thanksgiving.......but you can bet I will not be watching Lawrence Welk with him on Sat. night.

Nov 23, 2011 11:10PM Marybe wrote:

I found all sorts of good things to watch on television tonight while tearing up bread for stuffing and baking pies.   Ist I was watching some movie, but then I wanted to see if Gray's Anatomy was on and I was flipping around since the channels are different #'s here at my Dad's and The Waltons was on....and they were all so young....JohnBoy, Mary Ellen, Jason and Elizabeth....and the little redhead whose name I cannot remember....even the parents were young and I loved the Grandfather.   Then I went to another station and what's on but Gone With the Wind.  I have always thought that Clark Gable was the best looking man in the world and I still do.....right now they are at the part where Rhett threw the glass at Scarlet's portrait after she told him she no long wants to sleep with him and he saw that she had been looking at a picture of Ashley Wilkes.  I am just about done with my kitchen duties for tonight, but am going to have to stay up to watch GWTW. 

Nov 24, 2011 09:31AM jteach wrote:

Hi all!  Fun thread!!!

I love Criminal Minds, wish I didn't (it's pretty demented.)  Hoarders makes me clean my house (literally, while I watch it!)  I love The Good Wife and can't wait for it every week!

I think The Big C is spot on, but I felt like Five was written by people who like to wear pink ribbons but have never been affected by this disease, IMHO.

Keep this thread running.  I'm going to try Boardwalk Empire because of it!Smile       Janice 

Dx 4/2009, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes

Page 3 of 25 (730 results)