We are 225,787 members in 82 forums discussing 158,452 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Watching anything good this season?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 3, 2011 12:17PM

Marybe wrote:

Television is a good way to escape reality and I get very involved with the lives of my favorite television characters the same way I do when reading books.....in fact lately I have been reading the books and watching the TV series....did this with True Blood and just finished the first volume in the Game of Thrones series.   Although I was a bit leery when I first heard about The Big C, I really liked the show....love the characters and laughed out loud when Kathy was so excited about a finger nail falling off because it meant to her that the chemo was working.   Not everyone gets SEs, but I have found when I don't, it usually means a treatment is not working for me so I could relate her her excitement.

Boardwalk Empire, Hung, Nurse Jackie, Treme', True Blood , The Big C and Game of Thrones are my favorites on the premium channels.   I watch Revenge, The Mentalist, sometimes that one with Dana Delaney as a pathologist and I will check to see what is going on with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice if I think of it, but no longer can keep track of who is sleeping with Whom.  I also like Parenthood and am sure if you mentioned a few others would go,Oh,  I like that one also.   On occasion I will even watch Dancing with the Stars and find it amazing that they keep some of them who are so bad on until the very end.   There are some reruns I will watch if I see they are on like Seinfeld and Two and 1/2 men ( like the old ones with Bad Boy Charlie, but the new season with Ashton just doesn't do anything for me) .

I probably sound like I am watching television all the time, but I really am not and in truth am either reading at the same time I have a show on, or I am asleep.  TV is a great sleep aid for me and I used to love David Letterman, but have not watched him for years.   I like Ellen's show if I am home during the day.  Oddly enough even though I love cooking, I do not watch the Food network.

Invariably I like shows they take off.....Like Brothers & Sister's, Saint Elsewhere and Chicago Hope ( a long time ago, The Riches and one about this guy who was a detective and was thrown into another time era, but I forget the name of it (only lasted a season)  And then there are some shows I used to watch like the Office, Desperate Housewives, and The Good Wife, but just got away from for some reason.    

What are some of your favorites? 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Page 4 of 25 (730 results)

Posts 91 - 120 (730 total)

Nov 24, 2011 06:33PM Marybe wrote:

You will like Boardwalk.....I find the main character very witty and even though he is a bad guy, he's got a good side and although he is actually pretty creepy, I sort of find him appealing.   Boy, was I ever mixed up....thought last night was Thursday even though I knew today was Thanksgiving and it is always on a Thursday.....give me a day off and I am totally disoriented.  So I will look for Gray's Anatomy tonight.   We had a very nice dinner today. 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Nov 27, 2011 10:27PM hbcheryl wrote:

Well today I was at a local mall in a store and I saw a woman and I was like, gosh I know you, where do I know you from - hmmmm the gym, the grocery store - I'm a friendly sort so I don't like to be rude and not say hi if I know you, well I'm going over and over in my head and then it hits me ..... no I don't know you, you're one of the "Real Houswives of Orange County" dang I guess I watch too much tv!!!

Dx 7/25/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 29, 2011 02:07AM 3jaysmom wrote:

hb cheryl: which one was it?? my DH mur, accuses me of thinking i know them all well...esp Jersey.. did you see atlanta this week... simply scandalous at candies b, day... i was shocked!!! i think we've hit an all time low here...

I missed the new " closer" opener tonight.. Mur and i are playing dueling tvs right now... storage wars, and american pickers, pawn stars in the bedroom, housewives, closer, grimm in the liv. rm... then, in the wee hrs, i do catch up...

anyone watch "being human"? im hooked on all things werewof; want to see the new dawn movie, just for them.. has anyone else seen being human? started in uk, but is here, now...3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Nov 29, 2011 02:30AM Patriotic wrote:

Fun thread. I love House Hunters International and any travel-related shows. I have also been watching Downsized.

I hate to admit that I also love the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, NJ and OC. I used to watch Desperate Housewives but lost interest after the dx. Not sure why.

I also watch a lot of Spongebob (hard to stomach) and Disney movies (kids). We only own one TV. I guess we should consider buying another. :)

Get busy living or get busy dying~Shawshank Redemption Dx 3/23/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 1, 2011 12:20AM hbcheryl wrote:

3jays it was Lynne, the one who makes the bracelet cuffs and she has the two horrible girls, she was very pretty.  I also love American Pickers it's on my DVR to record whenever there are new episodes and they started up again this week I also like American Restoration, they are the guys the Pawns Starts go to when they get things restored, they are very creative and yes I did see the Atlanta Housewivves episode all I can say is OMGSurprised

Dec 1, 2011 12:40AM 3jaysmom wrote:

omg!sor sure!!!!I always thought lynne was on drugs, or drunk... funny, though, you're close enough to see them......3jays
3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Dec 4, 2011 11:34PM hbcheryl wrote:

Okay if you haven't seen it I am watching Virgin Diaries on TLC it's a trainwreck but I can't turn away, this one couple just got married and they had never kissed before OMG OMG OMG it is so bad I can't stop laughing......

Dec 5, 2011 07:04PM thatsvanity wrote:

Dexter, homeland and American Horror story, I like the scary shows!

Atypical lobular hyperplasia(11/11/10) PBMX NS mastectomy on 5/26/2011 Dx 11/11/2010, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes

Dec 5, 2011 07:05PM thatsvanity wrote:

I love the office and two and a half men, scrubs

Atypical lobular hyperplasia(11/11/10) PBMX NS mastectomy on 5/26/2011 Dx 11/11/2010, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes

Dec 5, 2011 07:07PM thatsvanity wrote:

I love Hung did they start a new season? I love the pimp lady!

Dec 5, 2011 07:23PM Marybe wrote:

Last night was the season finale of Hung.....I am thinking one of these days he will end up with Tanya.  I fell asleep during part of it so am going to have to do on demand for both it and Boardwalk Empire from last night cuz I dozed on it also.  OMG, now they are delving in Jimmy's history...probably trying to make us understand why he is a bad guy.  I wish he would have succeeding in strangling this mother. 

Dec 6, 2011 02:02AM 3jaysmom wrote:

i watched "neverland " on syfy twice tonight.. the story fo Peter Pan and the lost boys.. bf "Peter Pan" i may still have to watch it, there's more there thsn i could follow!!!!

Jan 19th some good sy fy starts. Being Human, and a few , i watch.. thanks to you, marybe, im watching boardwalk , too. fascinated by the charecter.. gross, but so interesting..

Dec 8, 2011 06:09PM Marybe wrote:

I missed Steve Bushemi (sp?) on SNL Sat. night because I was too tired after the party I had at my Dad's....then I was going to watch it last night on demand and I fell asleep because I was too tired from the chemo  so I have yet to see it.  Next week is the season finale of BoardWalk.....will be interesting to see how they end it. 

Dec 8, 2011 11:24PM 3jaysmom wrote:

thanks to you, marybe, i;m watching boardwalk, as well...3jays

Dec 8, 2011 11:38PM SheChirple wrote:

I can list the shows I like to watch, I just don't always get to see them.

Game of Thrones - surprisingly I like this.  It is not my usual type of show.

Survivor - yes, my guilty pleasure.  I don't know what I like about it, but I do.

Amazing Race - not my favorite, but my MIL watches religiously and it makes for good conversation.

I haven't seen Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice or Brothers and Sisters for several seasons now, but pop in occassionally. I like them all , originally.

I really like Parenthood.  Reminds me a bit of my own family with all it's various personalities, quirks and vices.

I watch Bones with my 14 y/o daughter.

Dexter is my favorite...I love the intro music and sequence. 

I was in to True Blood for awhile, but couldn't seem to catch it on.  I now have the DVDs and will someday watch it all.

Current don't miss show is Terra Nova.  I pick it apart for bad acting, bad writing, ridiculous story lines, etc... but yet I'm watching it religiously.  Humph.

A smile is the most beautiful curve on a woman's body. Dx 10/14/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/28/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/23/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 8/14/2012 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 5/24/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Surgery 6/9/2014 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Dec 10, 2011 11:11AM elimar wrote:

Still enjoying American Horror Story.  It's getting more twisted each week.  That house is like a clown car at the circus...the ghosts just keep coming out!

Also, from Netflix, watching The West Wing from the beginning with the family.   The situations no longer feel current, like when it first ran, but the character development is so good that it is still very watchable.

That reminds me, they put some new episodes of The Tudors (third season, I think) on my non-premium channels.  Historically inaccurate, but I still like the drama, which is saying a lot because it's not like you don't know how it's going to turn out for Henry, his wives, and the Church.

Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 10, 2011 11:21AM BarbaraA wrote:

I love the American Horror Story too and the Walking Dead, Supernatural and I really love the Property Brothers on HGTV. They are soooo hot!

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 11/25/2014, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 11/25/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 10, 2011 11:33AM Elizabeth1889 wrote:

Marybe, I am a big fan of Boardwalk, too.  Don't you love the man with half a face missing you wears the mask?

Dx 1/31/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 10, 2011 11:48AM - edited Dec 10, 2011 11:50AM by nwest125

My favorite is Walking Dead I can't wait till it comes back on Feb 12th I think I am having withdrawals  :)

Vampire Diaries  -   returning  Jan 5th

Being Human  -  returning Jan. 16th

Survivor

Amazing Race

Terra Nova

I love House Hunters

IDC 11-1-10 Lumpectomy 11-15-10 reincision/ found ILC 12-16-10 BMX with no reconstrution Dx 9/21/2010, ILC/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 10, 2011 01:06PM Marybe wrote:

Elizabeth I do also really like the man with the mask.....he really loved Jimmy's wife and so wants to have a normal life.  I am hoping he blasts Jimmy in the heart one of these days.   I really like Am Horror, other than the time I thought they really did put that little dog in the microwave, but then found out it was tomatoes.....but I no longer know what station to look for it on.  Maybe I will look for it now and it will be good napping background sound.  

Dec 10, 2011 11:53PM - edited Dec 10, 2011 11:55PM by 3jaysmom

still here, and keeping up.. watching grimm, for sure. its on 2 nites fri and sunday, but i don't knowuntil tommorrow if itll be a repeat.. i love catch up.. and am looking forward to the middle of Jan.. thrones starts again, and being human also.. american horror is too yucky for me, nor  do i tink i;ll like true blood.. getting too weird for me. we've been having law and order marathons.. i watch criminal intent. i love the mind "bobby" has!!this is supossed to be his last season.......3jays

Dec 11, 2011 01:08AM - edited Dec 11, 2011 01:09AM by Valjean

3jays ~ Game of Thrones resumes again April 2012, with 10 episodes. Can't wait, it's great! The books are, too.

The BBC America version, which I think is the best, of Being Human begins sometime in the spring, I don't know the date yet, with 8 episodes. The American version does begin in January. I don't care for that version, so don't watch it.

Marybe, I didn't know you'd done this thread even though you talked about it on FB. I just got caught up on the pages. It's a great idea.

I'll list some of my favs a bit later in the week, must get to bed.

Oh, did you get a chance to see any of Boss? I believe the last episode of this much too short season was this past Friday, there were only 8. Darn.

♥ RIP MELISSA ♥ 💛RIP CINDY🌼 ~ DX 11/5/2008~Lumpectomy SNB~Oncotype DX 14~finished Rads x33, 2.19.09~Aromasin started 2.20.09

Dec 11, 2011 08:40AM BarbaraA wrote:

Val, I love the American Being Human. I watched the Brit one and didn't like it at all. Go figure.

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 11/25/2014, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 11/25/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 11, 2011 09:17AM seacretgardn wrote:

Hi ladies, just came upon this thread.

I'm pretty new to this site. Right now the tv kinda serves as my company, still reeling from my dx and first tx so it's been difficult to concentrate on tv. I do find myself steering from all scary and horror even news, and my daughter has commented on how many times she comes home and I have a movie called Serendipity on.

Being from NJ I am all too familiar w the housewives episodes, and there are frequent sitings of many of them. I have to say though I prefer to watch the Beverly Hills episodes.

Cable is so expensive, I may look into the Netflix as itbis winter now, and won't be outdoors too much.

Thanks!

Laura

Dx 10/11/2011, ILC, 2cm, Grade 2, 8/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 11, 2011 10:34AM - edited Dec 11, 2011 10:05PM by Marybe

This promises to be a lazy day.....I started it by watching past episodes of American Horror....I could only get 7,8 &9 and am not altogether sure I saw #6, but find with that show it really doesn't matter.  You are right Elimar, they are constantly adding new ghosts.  I really get a kick out of the realtor, Maddy. 

I am anxiously awaiting the new season of Game of Thrones and just started on book ll in the series.  BoardWalk Empire season finale tonight!! 

Add on 11:00 PM.....DURN....fell asleep last 15 mins of the show, so then watched the preview of new show starting in Jan. called Luck which looks like it will be a good one and now am going to try to stay awake long enough to see the end of BoardWalk which is running again right now.  I need to have a whoopie cushion in bed that will go off the minute I start zzzzzzing while the tv is still on. 

Dec 12, 2011 12:11AM - edited Dec 12, 2011 12:23AM by Valjean

I also liked Luck. I thought the season was starting for it, but then at the end they had that the season begins Jan 29. I'd completely forgotten that I had known that. I've even told people that. Geez, I wonder how that happened. lol

Am a few episodes back on Boardwalk Empire so of course did not see the finale tonight, just DVR'd it. I'd miss so much if I didn't have that DVR. I haven't even watched a single episode of American Horror Story, have every one on that wonderful DVR. Embarassed 

Marybe ~ I liked the second in the series of Game of Thrones book very much. I have the third one waiting in the wings, but decided to hold off for a while. I just started The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. As I'm reading it, though, I keep thinking about that third book of Game waiting for me.....

And, can I borrow the woopie cushion, Marybe? I hate dozing off the last 10-15 mins of a show. I have to do as you, watch it again, or FF through on that marvelous machine, the DVR. Gosh, what would I do without that?!?

♥ RIP MELISSA ♥ 💛RIP CINDY🌼 ~ DX 11/5/2008~Lumpectomy SNB~Oncotype DX 14~finished Rads x33, 2.19.09~Aromasin started 2.20.09

Dec 13, 2011 07:20PM elimar wrote:

I was very happy, this holiday season, to see both black and white versions of "A Christmas Carol" that I saw A LOT while growing up.   The one was the 1938 MGM film with Reginald Owen, and it has been along time since I saw this. The other was the 1951 British film with Alastair Sim, and it seems to still be on t.v. a least once every holiday season even still.  I won't go into ALL my thoughts on these two classics, but the first leaves out some good scenes and characters from Dickens' book (in order to simplify it and make it a Hollywood family movie for the time); the second fabricates characters and scenes not even in the book.  I still like them both, get nostalgic for them, but now wish they could be rolled up together into one great classic film, true to Dickens' story.

Don't even get me started on the more modern ones...after the musical one with Albert Finney, I think all the Scrooges were animated.  Bah Humbug!  (O.K., I did like Mickey Mouse a little.)

Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 13, 2011 10:11PM Marybe wrote:

Elimar , the dinner theater the office went to on Sat night, did Christmas Carol and it was actually quite good, but they threw a few new twists in here and there also.....one that really stood out was when Bob Crachet (sp) was singing I'll be home for Xmas after he and Scrooge finally closed up the office Xmas eve.  Val, Book 2, Game of Thrones is proving to be a slow read as I keep dozing off, but I loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.  Last night I watched Enlightened.....think I am the only one who watches  that one. 

Dec 14, 2011 01:07AM Valjean wrote:

If anyone missed the Game of Thrones Season 1 on HBO or would like to see it again, I see they are going to repeat it beginning Dec 26 & each consecutive weeknight. I plan to watch it again to catch anything I may have missed when I dozed off, as I am sure I did a few times. lol

E ~ I have a very old copy of the book A Christmas Carol & I read it every year, very carefully, of course, so as not to damage the pages. I try to stay away from the movie versions as the book has spoiled me. I plan to catch the latest season of The Tudors on BBC America, too. I plan to read the books on that era of history when I get caught up with the stack I have now to read.

Dec 14, 2011 03:07AM 3jaysmom wrote:

marybe: thanks to you, i too, am watching ' enlightened" but, alas, notso faithfully.. i doze too. catch upis wonderful, but i think for "3kings" (after xmas Im going to get a dvr.. not  all the shows i want to see are on catch up...

thanks, elimar, for the new avatar.. how do you guys like it? its STILL 3 jays... jason, jared, and justin.. now, i have one, and its good for the season!!! elimar put it on her thread, and allowed me to "steal" it from her.. i LOVE it!!!...3jays

Page 4 of 25 (730 results)