Join Us

We are 216,859 members in 84 forums discussing 160,262 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Watching anything good this season?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 3, 2011 11:17AM

Marybe wrote:

Television is a good way to escape reality and I get very involved with the lives of my favorite television characters the same way I do when reading books.....in fact lately I have been reading the books and watching the TV series....did this with True Blood and just finished the first volume in the Game of Thrones series.   Although I was a bit leery when I first heard about The Big C, I really liked the show....love the characters and laughed out loud when Kathy was so excited about a finger nail falling off because it meant to her that the chemo was working.   Not everyone gets SEs, but I have found when I don't, it usually means a treatment is not working for me so I could relate her her excitement.

Boardwalk Empire, Hung, Nurse Jackie, Treme', True Blood , The Big C and Game of Thrones are my favorites on the premium channels.   I watch Revenge, The Mentalist, sometimes that one with Dana Delaney as a pathologist and I will check to see what is going on with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice if I think of it, but no longer can keep track of who is sleeping with Whom.  I also like Parenthood and am sure if you mentioned a few others would go,Oh,  I like that one also.   On occasion I will even watch Dancing with the Stars and find it amazing that they keep some of them who are so bad on until the very end.   There are some reruns I will watch if I see they are on like Seinfeld and Two and 1/2 men ( like the old ones with Bad Boy Charlie, but the new season with Ashton just doesn't do anything for me) .

I probably sound like I am watching television all the time, but I really am not and in truth am either reading at the same time I have a show on, or I am asleep.  TV is a great sleep aid for me and I used to love David Letterman, but have not watched him for years.   I like Ellen's show if I am home during the day.  Oddly enough even though I love cooking, I do not watch the Food network.

Invariably I like shows they take off.....Like Brothers & Sister's, Saint Elsewhere and Chicago Hope ( a long time ago, The Riches and one about this guy who was a detective and was thrown into another time era, but I forget the name of it (only lasted a season)  And then there are some shows I used to watch like the Office, Desperate Housewives, and The Good Wife, but just got away from for some reason.    

What are some of your favorites? 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Page 5 of 25 (730 results)

Posts 121 - 150 (730 total)

Dec 14, 2011 08:10AM elimar wrote:

3jays,  You had your nest of "J's" for a long time, and usually I have some days of "transition" when people switch avatars but, of course, I will not have a bit of trouble with that this time. 
Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 16, 2011 01:25AM 3jaysmom wrote:

thanks, elimar.. I keep a flock of jays, but didn't have a christmas one!!!i love  it..
3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Dec 16, 2011 04:59AM Marybe wrote:

Thanks to my husband I now am no longer watching any TV.  He decided to fix this light fixture in the basement and now there is no power going to the outlet in my bedroom which is where the tv and cable box are plugged in.  Push the button, Nothing, Nada, Nichts.  Which is fine because I am too tired to watch television anyway, but you can bet if it was HIS TV that was not working, he would have been having a fit and an electrician would be here working on it right now. 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Dec 16, 2011 05:02AM bak94 wrote:

Have you seen Prime Suspect? I love it! I watch way too much tv right now as I am recovering from bmx. I am addicted to Judge Judy during the day, as I am not a soaps person. Marybe-I hope you get your tv fixed soon!

Not really sure what stage I am-Some docs say 3C, others say stage 4. I had no auxillary nodes positive but had internal mammary nodes positive and possibly mediastinal node positive. It's just a number anyways, right? Dx 12/15/2002, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/40 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 1/2/2003 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 2/5/2003 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 7/8/2003 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 4/5/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/27/2011 AC Targeted Therapy 5/14/2011 Avastin (bevacizumab) Chemotherapy 7/29/2011 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Surgery 11/30/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 2/11/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2012 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 8/2/2012

Dec 16, 2011 03:19PM Marybe wrote:

No TV tonight again......he asks me Do you want me to run an extension so you can have your TV tonight? and I said No, I want it fixed correctly, I can wait.   And I can.....I am still working on Xmas decorations and if my energy lasts I am going to mix up some cookie dough tonight.   All I can say  is it's a good thing BoardWalk Empire and Hung had their season finales or else Sunday would be one unhappy evening. 

Dec 16, 2011 11:27PM Valjean wrote:

Oh, Marybe, if I lived closer, I'd send over my DH to fix it for you no charge!!
♥ RIP MELISSA ♥ 💛RIP CINDY🌼 ~ DX 11/5/2008~Lumpectomy SNB~Oncotype DX 14~finished Rads x33, 2.19.09~Aromasin started 2.20.09

Dec 17, 2011 07:34AM BarbaraA wrote:

Marybe, I would fix it for you (my DH is clueless as he is an artist) if I knew how. Electricity is not one of my strong suits after I blasted myself across the room 'fixing' a ligh switch. I call an electrician now. Just call one and get it done right!

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 11/25/2014, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 11/25/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 17, 2011 11:14AM 1Athena1 wrote:

I wish I had seen this thread earlier.

Anyone watching Project Accessory? They are down to the final three. For those not in the know, it is on Thursdays on the Lifetime channel and it is a competition between accessories designers. I used to like Project Runway, although I became increasingly disillusioned about the judging there. I prefer Accesory's judges. However, I was a bit disappointed in the last challenge. Design accessories for evening inspired by an insect??? Other that butterflies, women really don't like insects. None of the designers did a great job, IMO, although I think Nina should have won.

For any fellow "Project" lovers I can't want to see "Project All Stars" in January, although the judges, especially Nina Garcia, no longer have my trust.

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 18, 2011 06:02AM BarbaraA wrote:

I haven't seen it Athena. I did record Bag of Bones only to find that the cable company re-recorded part one as part 2. Grrrrr.

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 11/25/2014, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 11/25/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 18, 2011 06:19AM mumito wrote:

The movie Lovely Bones was very good. My favorite tv series is Dexter and Criminal minds.What does that say about me?Undecided

Dx 4/23/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 18, 2011 07:14AM BarbaraA wrote:

Mum, I am a Law & Order SVU junkie. I think I have seen every episode twice. Smile

Dec 18, 2011 10:00AM elimar wrote:

BarbA,  That is my go-to viewing if I come awake at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning.  Because I have seen all the episodes several times, it is somehow comforting just to watch the reruns, relax and fall back asleep.

Dec 18, 2011 02:40PM Marybe wrote:

Still no TV for me, but that is good I am feeling quite energetic this weekend and am going to bake.....not doing as many kinds as usual, but think I should have at least 4 or 5 kinds by tomorrow morning to take with me when I go see the orthopedic doc. 

Tim has an electrician coming on Tuesday.   You can bet this is the last time I ever allow him to even change a light bulb.....Hmmmm, maybe there is method to his madness.  

Dec 18, 2011 03:50PM mumito wrote:

LOL

Dec 18, 2011 04:26PM Janeybw wrote:

Glad to see some other normal looking people who like American Horror Story!  I've been feeling a little creepy about it.  I really like it, though.  I also bond with my sons through our viewing.  We did the DVD catch up for Lost a few years ago--great fun!  I am now doing that for Dexter--just for me.  I just had my exchange surgery Friday so am trying to keep quiet.  It's not working very well.  Christmas cards are calling!  My youngest and I watch Castle and Person of Interest.  I also like Nurse Jackie and Modern Family and The Middle.  I am still hanging on to Desperate Housewives and will miss them when they're gone.  Downton Abbey is almost back on Masterpiece!

Jane. BMX with TEs on 5/24/11. Tamoxifen started 6/27/11. No chemo. Exchange 12/16/11. Dx 4/23/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 18, 2011 07:47PM 1Athena1 wrote:

Barbara - Is your cable company Comcast?

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 19, 2011 09:50AM elimar wrote:

Sending out my cards today...

Dec 19, 2011 04:08PM BarbaraA wrote:

No, Athena, we have Brighthouse her and I have no choice. Screwed.

Dec 20, 2011 02:28AM 3jaysmom wrote:

i'ver watched all of the project accessories, also.. tried the great artist with "sucklord" but didn't like it. Im in for theallstars in jan..

i like law and order, but criminal one. can't watch so much rape, etc, in svu.   Mur and I are buying "dolphin tale " on dec 20th.. cheaper than going to the movirs, and i'll have it here for the grands.....3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Dec 20, 2011 02:42AM JMW wrote:

I have been watching "The Big C" also. Can definately relate to some of the stuff but I wish my life was as exciting as hers! I must be doing something wrong? I lost interest in watching t.v. after I was diagnosed.....it all seemed so poinless to me. All those "reality" shows seem so unreal to me. Now just like to watch a good movie once in a while. Never did get back into the television shows.

Dx 10/2010, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 12, 2012 09:37AM - edited Jan 13, 2012 10:22AM by elimar

No one's written for a while (and we all know Christmas time has a lot of reruns,) but it's a new year and I've seen a few new things.  If you like "Real Housewives" but want more hair-pulling and roundhouse rights, be sure to check out "Mob Wives."  It's the physical alternative to the womens' talk shows where they only jab each other with snarky comments.  Of course, if televised animosity is not your thing, maybe they will re-show Oprah interviewing Steven Tyler.  They took the sappiest walk in the woods I have ever seen.  I had to give myself an insulin shot to watch the whole thing.

Best for last:  I saw a new (?) show called "Extreme Cheapskates."  I LOVE IT!  One family was so cheap they had re-useable toilet paper.  They were cloths (of course) with poo stains!  They had a kids party and made pizza with 2-year outdated cheese; and for the salad, they made the kids forage for themselves for wild edibles in the local weed patch on the corner.  This show is not only hilarious, but has given me the ultimate defense for when my kids call me cheap.  Now I can always reply, "But at least I don't re-use the toilet paper!"

Jan 12, 2012 11:15AM Janeybw wrote:

Downton Abbey is back!!!  I finally watched it on my DVR yesterday.  Two hours and it was fabulous!

Jane. BMX with TEs on 5/24/11. Tamoxifen started 6/27/11. No chemo. Exchange 12/16/11. Dx 4/23/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 12, 2012 08:18PM 3jaysmom wrote:

lotfl elimar: don't have to explain to my kids anymore.. no way, im "thrifty" but come from the days where we washed our own kids diapers! NOT going there, again..lol

I have caught all of "mob wives" and love it, just like "real Jersey" can be.. im from Mass. so i know.. we had our own "familiy " growing up.... mostly re runs, but thank goodness, Jan 16 th is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!3jays

Jan 13, 2012 06:12AM mumito wrote:

I havent watched Mob wives but do admitt to watching the funny housewives from Jersey and NY.Laughing

Jan 15, 2012 07:18PM hbcheryl wrote:

Project Runway All Stars started last week didn't realize this until it showed up on my DVR so I've watched the two episodes recorded so far, forgot some of the people but a few of my old favourites are back.

Dx 7/25/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 15, 2012 07:40PM Marybe wrote:

Anyone watching the Golden Globe Awards show?   Several of the actors from shows I watch have gotten awards so far....the dwarf from Game of Thrones and Jessica Lange from American Horror.  Boardwalk Empire seems to be losing out this year to Homeland which maybe I should watch since it is getting so many awards.  I love seeing the actors and actresses....must get back to it now. 

Jan 15, 2012 07:54PM hbcheryl wrote:

Yes I'm watching it as we speak and too love all the dresses and glamour

Dx 7/25/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 16, 2012 01:27PM nwest125 wrote:

Being Human starts tonight so excited. I didn't like it at first but I gave it a change and me and DH really got into it.

Nancy

IDC 11-1-10 Lumpectomy 11-15-10 reincision/ found ILC 12-16-10 BMX with no reconstrution Dx 9/21/2010, ILC/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 19, 2012 07:41PM 3jaysmom wrote:

nancy: i love being human.. have watched all of them, recording this season again..3jays

Jan 30, 2012 08:44AM Marybe wrote:

So yesterday I watched the episodes of Shamless that I had not seen for this season and then watched the new one last night.  I think William Macey was made for that part...he is a scream.  I really have not been watching a lot of TV lately, but soon my shows will be back on like Game of Thrones, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, Treme,  and I will be back to the wonderful world of television. 

Page 5 of 25 (730 results)