Join Us

We are 217,585 members in 84 forums discussing 160,640 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Watching anything good this season?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 3, 2011 10:17AM

Marybe wrote:

Television is a good way to escape reality and I get very involved with the lives of my favorite television characters the same way I do when reading books.....in fact lately I have been reading the books and watching the TV series....did this with True Blood and just finished the first volume in the Game of Thrones series.   Although I was a bit leery when I first heard about The Big C, I really liked the show....love the characters and laughed out loud when Kathy was so excited about a finger nail falling off because it meant to her that the chemo was working.   Not everyone gets SEs, but I have found when I don't, it usually means a treatment is not working for me so I could relate her her excitement.

Boardwalk Empire, Hung, Nurse Jackie, Treme', True Blood , The Big C and Game of Thrones are my favorites on the premium channels.   I watch Revenge, The Mentalist, sometimes that one with Dana Delaney as a pathologist and I will check to see what is going on with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice if I think of it, but no longer can keep track of who is sleeping with Whom.  I also like Parenthood and am sure if you mentioned a few others would go,Oh,  I like that one also.   On occasion I will even watch Dancing with the Stars and find it amazing that they keep some of them who are so bad on until the very end.   There are some reruns I will watch if I see they are on like Seinfeld and Two and 1/2 men ( like the old ones with Bad Boy Charlie, but the new season with Ashton just doesn't do anything for me) .

I probably sound like I am watching television all the time, but I really am not and in truth am either reading at the same time I have a show on, or I am asleep.  TV is a great sleep aid for me and I used to love David Letterman, but have not watched him for years.   I like Ellen's show if I am home during the day.  Oddly enough even though I love cooking, I do not watch the Food network.

Invariably I like shows they take off.....Like Brothers & Sister's, Saint Elsewhere and Chicago Hope ( a long time ago, The Riches and one about this guy who was a detective and was thrown into another time era, but I forget the name of it (only lasted a season)  And then there are some shows I used to watch like the Office, Desperate Housewives, and The Good Wife, but just got away from for some reason.    

What are some of your favorites? 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Page 6 of 25 (730 results)

Posts 151 - 180 (730 total)

Jan 30, 2012 10:46PM - edited Jan 30, 2012 10:47PM by 3jaysmom

have you finished the game of thrones books, marybe? are they better than the show? i've been thinking i may read them, if thy're better, bf it comes on this season. really enjoying being human, and of course, the housewives, and their reunions.3jays 
3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/20/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jan 31, 2012 03:04PM elimar wrote:

One night I couln't fall asleep, so I watched the first and second episode of a new series...Lost Girl.  It's X-Men meets Twilight (but no vampiring yet) meets Supernatural, only Canadian.  Last night, I saw the third episode.  Will need a couple more to decide if I will stick with it.
Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 31, 2012 07:44PM 3jaysmom wrote:

i didnt think i'd like it, as she's a succubus ( i usually hate them ) as if thy're real she said.. i do like this one, though.. haven't missed an episode yet. gonna tape and watch it on longggg nights....3jays
3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/20/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Feb 6, 2012 05:00PM Marybe wrote:

I have started watching the lst season of Game of Thrones again on demand now that I am almost finished with book lV.....am getting geared up for the new season in April.   Watched Shameless last night since I am not into sports so did not watch the SuperBowl.....did I miss some good commercials? The Turner Classic channel has 31 days of Oscars going and some really good movies have been on it....watched My Fair Lady again.  

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Feb 6, 2012 09:38PM Valjean wrote:

Hi Marybe,

Wow, you've really been reading! I still have Game of Thrones books III & IV waiting to read. And I have Season 1 recorded on my DVR ready to watch again. HBO ran it a couple-three weeks ago on consecutive nights. Really looking forward to Season 2. Did you like book 3, it's really big. I'm going to my DD's the end of the month for my GRD's 5th birthday & I alway take a book & that book is sooo big, I didn't want the weight in my tote because I knew I wouldn't be finished with it in time. I read the first three books in the series The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo.

On Saturday I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much & Gaslight on TCM's 31 Days of Oscars. I love when they do that every year. Wish I could watch more. I could fill the other half of my DVR with movies I'd love to see again!

Have you watched any The Walking Dead? The last 6 episodes of this 2nd season begin this coming Sunday. It's a fun show, love the zombies!!  

I love this thread, Marybe, it's like a Calgon thing.

T.V. (Calgon) ~ Take me away.....

♥ RIP MELISSA ♥ 💛RIP CINDY🌼 ~ DX 11/5/2008~Lumpectomy SNB~Oncotype DX 14~finished Rads x33, 2.19.09~Aromasin started 2.20.09

Feb 6, 2012 10:26PM Marybe wrote:

I liked all of them, think maybe lll was easier to get into that ll since by then I was totally hooked....I got them in paperback at Costco so really book lll was no larger than any of the other ones....then there is a Book V and I have that on hold at the library.  Some of the characters I like better than others, but I really love the books and like they way they have that table i the back that tells who belongs to which House, their position, etc.    By the time I turned tv on tonight, the only show I watched was Castle....what happened to that lady coroner show that used to be on at the same time frame?  Dana Delaney was in it? 

Feb 7, 2012 07:25AM Janeybw wrote:

I will watch the Castle today--looked fun!  The Dana Delaney show is Body of Evidence and it is on ABC on Tuesday nights at 10.  I DVR it.  It isn't great, but I really like Dana Delaney and I find it kind of fun.

Jane. BMX with TEs on 5/24/11. Tamoxifen started 6/27/11. No chemo. Exchange 12/16/11. Dx 4/23/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 26, 2012 04:15PM Marybe wrote:

Tonight are the Oscars.....something I always look forward to so I will be watching my Sunday show Shameless on demand later in the week.  I will have more than I can handle in April when all my shows come back....Nurse Jackie, The Big C, Game of Thrones. and I forget if it is time for True Blood and Treme to come back yet or not.  

Feb 26, 2012 04:36PM Janeybw wrote:

I have learned to DVR the award shows and join in about an hour after they start.  I have to stay away from the internet of course, but then I can fast forwrd through all the stuff I don't care about.  I usually am caught up by the end.  We are going to change our tv provider and will get Game of Thrones then.  Do I need another show??? Sealed
Jane. BMX with TEs on 5/24/11. Tamoxifen started 6/27/11. No chemo. Exchange 12/16/11. Dx 4/23/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 26, 2012 06:06PM Marybe wrote:

I LOVE Game of Thrones.   Watch the lst season on demand if you can before jumping into Season ll.   

Feb 26, 2012 06:12PM 1openheart wrote:

We started watching Hot in Cleveland reruns on netflix.  OMG....so funny.

I really like the Good Wife, NCIS, NCIS LA, How I Met Your Mother and Mike and Molly too. 

And I have my "guilty pleasures".....Idol and Survivor 

"The wound is the place where the light enters you." ~ Rumi Dx 4/28/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 6/15/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction

Feb 28, 2012 11:49PM 3jaysmom wrote:

i'm feeling very decadent these days.. i finally broke down, ad since my son gave us a hd tv for christmas, we had to hook up hd; so i added the dvr!!!i love it.. theres much on "on demand " but not everything, so im loving it.. when im awake in the middle of the night, if im not here, i can watch anything nowi found bbca Being human, and dvr'd it, as well. i like it the best, but can't wait for game of thrones again.. watching the voice, and love it, and american idol.. i can't hardly get away from tv; cause then, i have to catch uop with "the housewives of".3jays

Feb 29, 2012 05:46AM mumito wrote:

I am waiting for the canadian housewife shows to start.I hear they are starting with Vancouver first.Laughing
Dx 4/23/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 12, 2012 07:28PM Marybe wrote:

I cannot believe I watched another season of The Bachelor and also cannot believe the choice he made.  I seriously doubt if they make it since very few of those couples have stayed together, but I am too tired to watch any more of After the Final Rose and feel my sleep is more important since tomorrow is an early work day.   I will say I am really enjoying Shameless this season and also like the show that is on Sunday night ...GBI or some initials like that?....it takes place in TX......the mother in it is the red head from Designing Women and she does a great job in this role. Looking forward to the Big C and Game of Thrones starting again in April. 

Mar 12, 2012 09:43PM 3jaysmom wrote:

im still watching my "weird" paranormal shows.. dvr ing them, so i can watch in the middle of the night.. being human, lost girl, etc.. and the ever popular housewives.. i'll be interested to see the diff w/ the candian ones..3jays

Mar 13, 2012 12:10PM nwest125 wrote:

My fave is Walking Dead and now we are down to the last episode.  :(   I don't think I can wait until next October .

IDC 11-1-10 Lumpectomy 11-15-10 reincision/ found ILC 12-16-10 BMX with no reconstrution Dx 9/21/2010, ILC/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 13, 2012 12:18PM babsbrink wrote:

The Walking Dead is my favorite too. Can you believe Rick/Carl killed Shane??? I can't wait till Sunday night.  I also love Bones. And I watch Hoarders to feel better about my messy house.

Carefree Highway let me slip away on you.... Dx 7/12/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 13, 2012 03:41PM Blessings2011 wrote:

We saved and saved for years to have a giant flat screen TV put in above our fireplace, then had the entire grand room wired for surround sound.

We also have flat screen TVs in every room, with a DVR.

We have DISH, and all the movie channels.

So what do we watch?

• The Big Bang Theory - LOVE IT!!!
  • Glee - Did they go on hiatus? Did Quinn die in that car accident?
  • American Idol - Will get interesting soon, as more contestants are eliminated....
  • Who Do You Think You Are (sponsored by Ancestry.com)
Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/4/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/21/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/4/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 14, 2012 03:18AM sarah1968uk wrote:

I know, being British and all, I'm terribly out of the loop with you all, but has anyone seen "Alcatraz"? Any good? Would it be suitable for a 13 year old?

Saw "Grimm" a couple of times, was OK. Enjoying Season 2 of The Big C, which has really grown on me. Looking forward to Season 4 ( I think), of "Nurse Jackie", which I absolutely love! 

All the best, Sarah xx

Dx 12/10/2007, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/14 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 14, 2012 04:17AM Marybe wrote:

I really like Nurse Jackie.  That should be starting up again soon also.  You can tell it was filmed later because her hair is longer in the previews.  Last night there was nothing on that I normally watch so I was flipping around and watched a few of Joan River's show....Is it called Joan is always Right?   She looks almost like a cartoon character....tight face, big eyes.....like an alien from a Twilight Zone episode.   I cannot imagine that she thinks she looks good after having all that plastic surgery done.   Her grandson was drawing a picture of her and she said Oh, that's with my old nose. 

Mar 15, 2012 09:40AM leggo wrote:

"Breaking Bad" is about the only tv I make time for. I haven't even found a show, series or otherwise that even comes close to being that good. Sadly, this coming season will be the last. Any other fans? I've already plotted out the last season in my head. I think Walt's cancer will get the best of him and Jessie will continue to cook until Walt's family is provided for.... I just wonder who the antagonist will be this season...maybe Mike? I am truly saddened to see this awesome series end. The season-ender was fantastic. That would have made a great ending to the series, but I'm glad they're coming back for one more.

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Mar 16, 2012 11:15PM Valjean wrote:

Gracie, I am also a HUGH fan of Breaking Bad. It is one of my all-time Favorite shows. Yes, the season finale last year was fabulous! This upcoming final season Cry will have 16 episodes. As to how it might end, I'm sure whatever I think will happen will NOT. When the camera focused in on that planter on the patio in the final episode, WOW, it was one great ending. One of the best moments in television was the episode where the acid ate through the tub with the dead guy in it & all the ........... well, I won't gross everybody else out, but ........ well, I know you haven't forgotten that!!!!!! Sealed

babsbrink ~ I never miss The Walking Dead myself. Can hardly wait for Sunday, even though I don't want the season to end already. Season 3 has been renewed for 16 episodes. Yay!

If anyone watches Falling Skies, it begins June 17 & will run for 10 episodes.

Looking forward to the second season of The Game of Thrones (the books are great!) with 10 episodes & Mad Men begins when Walking Dead ends with 13 episodes. That is long overdue.

And if anybody got into The Killing, that begins April 1 with 13 episodes.

I also really like Boardwalk Empire, The Sons of Anarchy, Boss, BBC America's Being Human, Justified & True Blood. I am wondering how that Magic City on Starz will be that begins Apr 6.

The recently aired Series (Season) 2 of Downton Abbey was, IMHO, better than the first. Marvelous show indeed!

I rarely watch the major networks, but really like The Good Wife, Revenge, The Ringer & Vampire Diaries.  

Love my DVR !   

♥ RIP MELISSA ♥ 💛RIP CINDY🌼 ~ DX 11/5/2008~Lumpectomy SNB~Oncotype DX 14~finished Rads x33, 2.19.09~Aromasin started 2.20.09

Mar 17, 2012 08:57AM - edited Mar 17, 2012 09:05AM by leggo

Hi Valjean! It's a pleasure to find another BB fan on the board. The bathtub.....oh the bathtub. I usually avoid movies and tv that mention cancer like the plague, but somehow these guys got it right. Never before have I seen a series that can excite, move, shock and make you laugh in the same episode. Who'd of thunk I'd find myself feeling sorry for a meth-head and a drug dealer....and don't you just love Saul's character? Learning some chemistry and spanish along the way has been pretty cool too. I can hardly wait for next season. I hope the writing doesn't suffer just because they're coming back for another one to please the fans. I don't watch much network tv either; I don't know what I'll do when it's over. Everything I've watched since has me saying "It's no Breaking Bad.....".     

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Mar 17, 2012 09:44AM kltb04 wrote:

Hi all I am new to the site and brand new to this board.  I am a huge TV fan as well and I haven't really gotten caught up to what people are watching but thought I would chime in and add this to my favorite topics.

I am a fan of everything from crap reality TV to critically acclaimed shows.

Sitcoms - love HIMYM but am growing weary of it after all these seasons and about ready for some resolution.  Just discovered the BBT and is my favorite show in the world - got caught up through the current season just a few weeks ago.  Also watch The Office, 30 Rock, The Middle, Suburgatory, Parks and Rec - I just DVR them and watch later and sometimes just leave them running as background noise.

Drama - The Good Wife, can't wait for Mad Men, Castle and The Mentalist.

Reality - Survivor/Idol/Project Runway and (blushing) Dance Moms.  I am ashamed. LOL.

I want to start Breaking Bad too because I have heard such good things.

I also am a crime show junkie - Dateline/48 Hrs/etc...

Guess that's all for now...

Dx 2/17/2012, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 2/26/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 3/18/2012 AC Targeted Therapy 6/10/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/10/2012 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/30/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 11/12/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/17/2012

Mar 17, 2012 09:53AM 1Athena1 wrote:

Welcome kltb - Hope you are not ashamed of Project Runway, though. :-)

All Stars has been great this season - much prefer the judges to those from the regular Project Runways, whose taste is questionable, at best. I have understood the judges' decisions and I believe they have done their job well. I was sad to see Mila go. She is truly talented.

Anyone still following the PR All Stars? What do you think of the finalists? I am rooting for Mondo - he should have won his own season and would have if Nina Garcia hadn't been judging.

Season 10 of the regular PR is set to start.....not sure if I want to watch it, though. I really don't like Heidi's or Nina's taste. I think they are awful judges and very capricious. Nina plays favorites. Michael Kors does make valuable comments but he can be destructive. Season 9 was a disaster, IMO.

Anyway, PR is my ONE sin in the world of pop culture? Anyone care to comment on the show? Wish I could have a thread on it. :-)

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 17, 2012 10:49PM Valjean wrote:

Gracie ~ Don't want to bore any of the other gals here, but back to Breaking Bad.

I always DVR it so I can watch any part of the show that I want to see again (& there are many!!). In fact, I have the last four episodes of last season still on the DVR set to 'Keep' so they don't get deleted by mistake! That show is just amazing! I was hooked from season 1 - Episode 1 & I have told anybody who will listen that they are missing something awesome if they don't watch it. The fast pace, well, the hour just flies by; I find myself sitting on the edge of my seat & I don't even realize it until it breaks for commercial & I have to reach for the remote if I don't already have it on my lap!

Yes, Saul is a hoot!!

I can't believe I get so "into" this show - probably seems crazy to someone who doesn't watch it. I intend to buy the entire DVD set when the series ends. I'm nuts - I admit it! Tongue out  

When the new season starts, we will "watch" it together, okay? Just discussing this much brings "so much" back - so many good scenes.

Hugs!

Mar 17, 2012 11:12PM 3jaysmom wrote:

ktb.. don't be ashamed.. although i don't like the dance teacher, and her antics, she DOES get the girls roles.. miss abby my foot!!!but, like a good train accident, you can't take your eyes off it!!!

i watched all of the runway all stars. i like mondos' work, just find HIM weird!!!

i watch alot of 2 in the morning tv.. so re runs of the nanny comes to mind.. and marybe recently started me watching the golden girls re runs, which are ALWAYS great!!Being Human on bbc remains my fav.. i liked true blood, but didn't watch for awhile..too gory. they say this next season says it will be even more.. but im going to wait and see.

when my eyes aren't too bad, i spend a lot of my time in bed readingwerewolveles love stories, and christine Feehans carpathian vampire love stories... strange, but i love them!!!

what a joy to finally have a dvr!! i finally broke down and got one, my son gave us a 40" hd for christmas, so had that installed with a dvr.. the grands like their shows over, and over. so i taped them also for when they're here...

keep on keeping on gals........3jays

Mar 18, 2012 04:51AM mumito wrote:

I can barely wait for BB to start again.The writers really know how to shock you. Nurse Jackie is another series that I love to watch.Dexter is another series I am waiting for.But the last season was not as good as the first 2.

Dx 4/23/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 18, 2012 07:23AM nwest125 wrote:

tonight is the last episode of Walking Dead. Can't wait to watch it but sad to have to wait until next October for the season 3.

Nancy

IDC 11-1-10 Lumpectomy 11-15-10 reincision/ found ILC 12-16-10 BMX with no reconstrution Dx 9/21/2010, ILC/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 18, 2012 07:33AM leggo wrote:

Just for fun!

http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

(My kids actually called the number!)

Page 6 of 25 (730 results)