Join Us

We are 217,532 members in 84 forums discussing 160,616 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Watching anything good this season?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 3, 2011 01:17PM

Marybe wrote:

Television is a good way to escape reality and I get very involved with the lives of my favorite television characters the same way I do when reading books.....in fact lately I have been reading the books and watching the TV series....did this with True Blood and just finished the first volume in the Game of Thrones series.   Although I was a bit leery when I first heard about The Big C, I really liked the show....love the characters and laughed out loud when Kathy was so excited about a finger nail falling off because it meant to her that the chemo was working.   Not everyone gets SEs, but I have found when I don't, it usually means a treatment is not working for me so I could relate her her excitement.

Boardwalk Empire, Hung, Nurse Jackie, Treme', True Blood , The Big C and Game of Thrones are my favorites on the premium channels.   I watch Revenge, The Mentalist, sometimes that one with Dana Delaney as a pathologist and I will check to see what is going on with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice if I think of it, but no longer can keep track of who is sleeping with Whom.  I also like Parenthood and am sure if you mentioned a few others would go,Oh,  I like that one also.   On occasion I will even watch Dancing with the Stars and find it amazing that they keep some of them who are so bad on until the very end.   There are some reruns I will watch if I see they are on like Seinfeld and Two and 1/2 men ( like the old ones with Bad Boy Charlie, but the new season with Ashton just doesn't do anything for me) .

I probably sound like I am watching television all the time, but I really am not and in truth am either reading at the same time I have a show on, or I am asleep.  TV is a great sleep aid for me and I used to love David Letterman, but have not watched him for years.   I like Ellen's show if I am home during the day.  Oddly enough even though I love cooking, I do not watch the Food network.

Invariably I like shows they take off.....Like Brothers & Sister's, Saint Elsewhere and Chicago Hope ( a long time ago, The Riches and one about this guy who was a detective and was thrown into another time era, but I forget the name of it (only lasted a season)  And then there are some shows I used to watch like the Office, Desperate Housewives, and The Good Wife, but just got away from for some reason.    

What are some of your favorites? 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Page 7 of 25 (730 results)

Posts 181 - 210 (730 total)

Mar 18, 2012 02:31PM Marybe wrote:

1.   You all have made me think I need to watch Breaking Bad.....is is one of the premium stations, like HBO or ShowTime?.....maybe I could catch up with the last season on demand and then be ready for the new one.   Gracie,  I agree with you on cancer shows, BUT I really like The Big C....just love the way Kathy (Laura Linney) looks at life and deals with it. 
Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Mar 18, 2012 02:45PM JennL wrote:

I love The Vampire Diaries!!  True Blood is awesome I like the show better then the books.  I also watch, Sons of Anarchy (FX), Dexter (showtime), Shameless (showtime) it is hysterical!!!  Once Upon A Time, Greys, Private Practice, Fringe (really like this one), Grimm, Castle, Alcatraz is good, Modern Family.  I also like the Big C, started watching this way before I was diagnosed, the 3rd season is starting soon I think, Kathy cracks me up.  I DVR all these shows, never watch in real time.  I put the kids to bed, get everything situated and sit at night and try to catch up.  This keeps my mind occupied:)  

Dx 12/27/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/31/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 3/20/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 8/26/2012 Surgery 12/14/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Mar 18, 2012 02:52PM JennL wrote:

I almost forgot Revenge is a great show I watch that to:-)

Dx 12/27/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/31/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 3/20/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 8/26/2012 Surgery 12/14/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Mar 18, 2012 03:57PM - edited Mar 18, 2012 09:14PM by kltb04

Just going to skim y'alls BB posts until I watch! Yes I am watching PR All Stars. I am about two episodes behind though. I will watch the regular season too. I love Tim Gunn!

I will wretch reruns or sitcoms too if I run out if DVR material. Will and Grace , New Adventures of Old Christine , Friends, King of Queens.

I actually do more than watch TV all the time lol. I read a lot too. But since my dx I haven't been able to focus too much on reading and the TV is just easier to divert myself with.

Dx 2/17/2012, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 2/26/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 3/18/2012 AC Targeted Therapy 6/10/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/10/2012 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/30/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 11/12/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/17/2012

Mar 18, 2012 04:02PM agada wrote:

Lets see, this season repeats of the Big Bang Theory, and waiting for the Borgias to begin.  The Borgias are racey, but good.

Dx 12/16/2009, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 2/6 nodes, ER+/PR+

Mar 19, 2012 12:33AM Valjean wrote:

I would definately watch The Borgias if I had Showtime. I did see the very first episode when Channel 101 (actually I think they call it Audience now) on DirecTV showed it - wish I could see more. It never seems to be on when I get a free weekend.

Marybe  ~ Breaking Bad is on AMC. I know you'd really like that show.

mamayan ~ Dexter is a fabulous show, but since it is on Showtime, which I do not have, I wait until the season is over & when August rolls around, I buy the DVD set. I have had Season 5 here to watch since last year but have not had the time to get through it. I also have read the books.

gracie ~ Where in the world did you find that Saul website?!? It's hilarious! What/who was on the other end of the line when your children called that number?  

I'm hoping nobody puts out the ending of The Walking Dead as I did not watch it tonight, just DVR'd it. DH goes to bed early as rises early for work so we plan to watch it tomorrow night at 6:30 because Red Wings hockey is on at 7:30 & the Wings always trump all TV shows!!!!

JennL ~ I liked the first year of Fringe a lot but when it started going between the two alternate worlds, I got away from it & never picked it back up again.  

♥ RIP MELISSA ♥ 💛RIP CINDY🌼 ~ DX 11/5/2008~Lumpectomy SNB~Oncotype DX 14~finished Rads x33, 2.19.09~Aromasin started 2.20.09

Mar 19, 2012 10:50AM - edited Mar 19, 2012 10:55AM by leggo

Marybe, if you have netflix, you can get seasons 1-3. I highly recommend you watch from the beginning. It's one of those shows you just can't pop into the middle of. It wouldn't make much sense. Season 4 is a must see and Season 5 is coming in July on AMC.

Valjean, my kids saw the phone number on a matchbook when Skyler was calling Saul in one of the episodes, so they called for fun. It was his voice recorded on the other end. That message directed to the website. Good old Saul, the "criminal" lawyer. He cracks me up every time. Always dealing with crap, staying calm, handling everything....it's so funny. Remember when he said if he ever got two anal polyps, he'd know what to call them? I just loved it when he was helping Jessie buy his aunt's house. He always knows just what to say.

ETA: At one time, they had the "Save Walter White" website up and you could make a donation to the Cancer Society that way. I thought that was pretty neat too. Not sure if it's still there or not. I looked at it quite some time ago and they had raised about 30,000 dollars.

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Mar 19, 2012 08:07PM Marybe wrote:

Jenn,  I am so excited that someone else watches Shameless..... I love that show....I just burst out laughing when Frank goes tromping around in those work boots and his shorts...some of the stuff he had to do for his mother, like patting on talcum power....LOL......Wm. Macy is perfect in the role.  I also love Sheila, and Lip and Debbie, Carl, Fiona and heck, just all the characters.....although I am not too crazy about Steve/Jimmy. 

Mar 20, 2012 12:13AM 3jaysmom wrote:

ok. i'll bite.. since i got the dvr.. what channel is Shameless and nurse jackie on??

i hope to get one of those cool things that turn your vcrs into dvds.. the tapes, i mean.. i've saved so much in the past.. i wish they made affordable recordable dvds.. someone said you can make a dvd from the tv internet.. anyone know how??

im cluless to all this tech stuff!!3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 20, 2012 07:16PM babsbrink wrote:

Valjean and nwest125 - I loved Sunday nights season finale of The Walking Dead.  It's going to be a long wait for season three!! And I can't wait for Falling Stars to come back.

Blessings2011 - We have all the premium channels on DISH too, and seldom watch any of them.Should have stuck with a more basic package.

Any one here a fan of The Closer?  I'm sad to  think there are only six episodes left.Frown

Carefree Highway let me slip away on you.... Dx 7/12/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 21, 2012 01:32AM - edited Mar 21, 2012 01:35AM by Valjean

babsbrink ~ I have watched The Closer since the beginning. I have been a fan of Kyra Sedgwick since Another World. Boy, does that date me or what!?!? (that was a great soap, by the way)

Watched The Walking Dead last night - wow! I was wondering who the person was in the hooded cape with the (? deadies - bait perhaps ?) he/she was leading attached to the chains; someone told DH because they had watched the show that followed the finale (The Dead?) & they were talking about that being a character from the comic book series that they will be introducing next season.  

Edited to change the sex of the person in the hooded cape - don't want to spoil anything for anybody.

♥ RIP MELISSA ♥ 💛RIP CINDY🌼 ~ DX 11/5/2008~Lumpectomy SNB~Oncotype DX 14~finished Rads x33, 2.19.09~Aromasin started 2.20.09

Mar 21, 2012 11:10AM MissShapen wrote:

I love TV!! The new shows Touch and Awake both are starting out great. I like Survivor, The Biggest Loser, Justified, Southland, Blue Bloods........ I could go on and on! :)

I'll save some to post later!

Miss S 

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." Dx 11/9/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/31 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 21, 2012 09:05PM babsbrink wrote:

Valjean- I watched Another World for years. I started back when Rachel was married to Russ Mathews. (OMG how old am I...) .

MissShapen- I must confess that I am an avid Biggest Loser fan, my only problem, I can't seem to watch it without eating a bunch of junk food. I like Awake too, Criminal Minds, NCIS, the list goes on...

Carefree Highway let me slip away on you.... Dx 7/12/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 27, 2012 12:55PM WellWater wrote:

MisShapen:  I LOVE Justified and Southland...sorry that Southland ended last week.

Cable shows returning....Game of Thrones (Love it) and Suits (Like it)

If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience.

Mar 27, 2012 10:36PM - edited Mar 27, 2012 10:36PM by 3jaysmom

i'm now a big fan of "awake" and watched another world from the beginning, and yes, also a kira sedwick fan in the closer....
3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 27, 2012 11:01PM bayareamom wrote:

Hi all. I just found this thread! I love tv and believe it or not we do not have cable! I have Hulu plus and Netflix that I watch through a roku device on my tv. I watch a lot of things on my computer. Haven't read all the pages so not sure if anyone mentioned Friday Night Lights. It is not longer on but you can see all the episodes on Netflix instant play. There are a BUNCH. It is an awesome show and I'm not even a football fan.

Also love shameless, dexter, downton abbey, walking dead, mad men and most British mini series. There is one called Doc Martin that is cute. parks and recreation, and community are fun,too. I'm going to read through the seven pages now but I'm going to add this as a favorite topic!

BayAreaMom Dx 8/1/2011, 1cm, Stage II, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 27, 2012 11:14PM ATeamNana wrote:

I just seen this thread tonite also. Thursday night is our Favorite TV nite. Some shows I like are. Awake. Touch. Point Of Interest. Missing. Two boke girls. Gifted man.

4 AC Chemo 12 Taxol - Lumpectomy Jan. 2010- Followed by 35 Radiation Treatments.. Diagnosis: 8/7/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 28, 2012 01:11AM - edited Mar 28, 2012 01:16AM by Valjean

Oh, yes, bayareamom, Friday Night Lights was one of the best shows ever. I was very sad to see that end.  

edited to add : 3jays ~ I know you like BBC America's Being Human & I wanted to let you know I just read yesterday that it has been renewed for Season 5 to air next year. There will be 6 episodes. And, I like Awake, too. I like the lead actor - he was on Showtime's Brotherhood which was very good.  

Mar 28, 2012 01:15AM Elizabeth1889 wrote:

Did anyone see the new season of Mad Men on Sunday night?  I love that show and I am glad it is back after 17 months off the air.
Dx 1/31/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 28, 2012 01:26AM Valjean wrote:

Elizabeth ~ Yes, I watched Mad Men & have since the beginning. Was getting antsy waiting during the long, long delay. I recorded the episode because I read that several things that occur in the season opener are clues as to what happens in the season finale. Excellent writing.  

Mar 28, 2012 04:30AM 3jaysmom wrote:

yeah!!!valjean.. im so glad there going to do more being human. i do love it.. now, awake has also peaked my interest; and of course, Lost Girl.. i have a keen interest in anything Fae...

Mar 29, 2012 12:46PM Maya2 wrote:

Gee, I don't get all the channels many of you do. No Showtime, HBO, etc. But then, I'm either working, or I am...working. But, I rarely miss MI5, which is my favourite show--or Supernatural. Anything else, I mostly happen onto. I really liked Rubicon, but it didn't come back for a second season. And I like In Plain Sight, but this is its last season. I sure can pick them.

Sometimes I log onto Hulu and watch a show they're showing for free. Mostly, I find I like British and Canadian shows like DaVinci's Inquest, Intelligence and ReGenisis--all long gone. MI5 is British and an espionage roller coaster ride. I just strap in and hold on!

Mar 29, 2012 01:56PM Suzanne3131 wrote:

Mad Men is so cool!  I watch on the web since I don't have a tv.....have been looking forward to their return for ever!

Also love to watch Modern Family (it's a RIOT!), Parenthood, CougarTown, 30 Rock and Desperate Housewives (which is sadly coming an end!) 

Dx 8/13/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 31, 2012 01:33AM Valjean wrote:

Maya2 ~ Another MI5 fan, happy to meet you! I really like that show also - it wasn't on here in the States last year (actually, I think the past 2 yrs) & I really miss it. It was/is Very Good. I didn't realize it was still showing - lucky you! And I was very disappointed that Rubicon was canceled. Low ratings they said, well, I watched it and you watched it - so there!!

Apr 11, 2012 06:33PM leggo wrote:

Valjean, did you hear? Cry We're only going to get eight episodes of Breaking Bad this summer. The other eight won't air until 2013.
"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Apr 11, 2012 07:05PM mumito wrote:

Thats terrible about Breaking bad. Are any of you Nurse Jackie watchers? I just watched the first 3 episodes of the new season and was not disapointed.Worth watching to see how she manages everthing.

Dx 4/23/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 12, 2012 02:13AM Valjean wrote:

Yeah, I just caught that today about Breaking Bad.

All I can say is:

Bummer!!!!

Apr 13, 2012 02:46AM jezza wrote:

Oh...I'm addicted to Mad Men...just love it. We have been watching the series on DVD and have to ration ourselves as I don't want it to end! We are half way through series 4. Series 5 has just started here in Oz too but on Pay TV and we don't have that. I love the attention to detail and I agree ...the writing is excellent.

I also enjoy Modern Family. It really grew on me as I got to know the characters. I also like Doc Martin and some of the British period dramas.

jezza

bi-lat mastectomies (one prophylactic) saline implants no chemo, no rads 21 years NED Dx 1/1992, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3

Apr 13, 2012 11:15AM Janeybw wrote:

I recently spent two weeks watching 4 seasons of Mad Men to catch up for this season--and I am working full time!  It was a committment, but one I enjoyed.  I also had spring break one of the weeks.  I teach.  It is a fantastic show.  I love the sets and the clothes.  The characters are so flawed and yet you need to see what happens to them next. 

Jane. BMX with TEs on 5/24/11. Tamoxifen started 6/27/11. No chemo. Exchange 12/16/11. Dx 4/23/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 24, 2012 09:37PM Marybe wrote:

Mad Men....that is another one I need to watch along with Breaking  Bad, but it will be awhile since I am having problems keeping up with my own shows.   I fall asleep every time I try to watch Game of Thrones and was unable to watch Gray's Anatomy last week because I friend called long distance and I felt like I had to talk to her....every once in awhile she would say Are you there? because I really was trying to watch the tv and didn't have the volume up too loud so was sort of straining to hear.   Bad news is I just found out Hung is not going to be on again, but the good news is Enlightened which I like was renewed.   I am all caught up on the BigC and Nurse Jackie since for some reson they allowed you to watch the lst three episodes of this season the very lst week they came back on.   Treme is starting again in the Fall along with Boardwalk Empire.  Did anyone watch Veep?  Am not sure if I will like that one or not.   I check in with DWTS every week just to see who has been kicked off. 

Page 7 of 25 (730 results)