Topic: How vain are you?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 27, 2013 03:22PM - edited Feb 5, 2014 10:32AM by SelenaWolf

Posted on: Nov 27, 2013 03:22PM - edited Feb 5, 2014 10:32AM by SelenaWolf

SelenaWolf wrote:

Okay, a few of us have had so much fun on another thread comparing the ways in which we are still vain, that I thought it deserved its own thread.  Everybody chime in... how vain are you?

Edited to add:

We on the "How Vain Are You?" thread recognize that our sense of fun- and humour is not to everyone's taste.  Hence, we have chosen the "Humour and Games" forum to let our hair down.  Although swapping "vain" stories, style tips and beauty secrets are always eagerly welcomed, going off-topic is not a crime.  Neither is bad language or differing opinions.  We recognize that each- and every one of us is interested in conventional, complementary, holistic and alternative treatments as long as there is science-based  research behind each- and every one.  [Like someone said, if honey badger pee as a treatment for breast cancer had hard science behind it, I would be the first in line.]  We reserve the right to honestly discuss the strengths and weaknesses (and dangers) of everything, and laugh at the ridiculousness of life. 

This thread is for sharing and laughter, but it is also about the freedom to DISCOURSE, DISCUSS, DECONSTRUCT, DEBATE and DEBUNK the various- and sundry myths out there about breast cancer and breast cancer treatment no matter what they are.  But don't forget to recommend your favourite lipstick shade along the way.

"... good girls never made history ..."

Page 73 of 224 (2,236 results)

Feb 4, 2014 04:27PM melissadallas wrote:

Beesie did a good post explaining the weak research/correlation on moderate alcohol consumption. I'm not going to worry about it if I want a glass of wine.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor. Dx 5/20/2012, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes

Feb 4, 2014 05:22PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Selena, Run, do not walk to an excellent Mexican restaurant or good bar and get yourself a refreshing, delicious Margarita! This should be on everyone 's bucket list!

Caryn

Feb 4, 2014 05:27PM spookiesmom wrote:

Mmmmmm if I could drink a 'Rita would be a first choice. Or maybe an aged Scotch on the rocks. I can only dream. 

Feb 4, 2014 05:37PM MsPharoah wrote:

Selena, good question about alcohol consumption.  For me, alcohol consumption went up after my DX and I didn't feel the least bit guilty even though it was a crutch to help me sleep and act somewhat normal in the evenings. (Sigh!)  Now that I am on Femara, I have reduced alcohol to 1-3 glasses of wine/week.  But not because of the BC/alcohol connection.  I do so because I need to control my weight and these are calories I can do without.   Just FYI, I picked my onc because she was the only one who didn't have a problem with an occasional glass of wine.

I definitely won't feel guilty about drinking.  Wine is just one of life's pleasures!

MsP

Oncotype 24 Dx 12/4/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-, Surgery 2/18/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 4/9/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 8/21/2013 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/4/2013 Breast

Feb 4, 2014 05:47PM bobogirl wrote:

Yes, Momine, come here right now and help me kick some a$s.  I am weak.  And then it will be a big mean girl slumber party!  Agree with everything, actually -- I think there is probably a link between drinking and some forms of bc (but for other forms they have not necessarily established a strong causal relationship) -- and, yes, I think drinking is essential at times.  I have to work at it -- I don't naturally drink much.  But I am having a beer right now, in fact.

And I haven't had a margarita in ages, but agree with Melissa and Bronxgirl that it is necessary that you should have one, Momine.  But here is my further advice: have a shot of tequila first, the old fashioned way (tequila, a really nice one, then salt off your hand, then bite on a lime). THEN have the margarita.  It should not be a blended one -- those are difficult to drink.

Have two seven year olds and do not get out much for margarita night, that's sure.  But, you know, I probably should.  Occasionally.  I only wish I could be there when Momine has her first one!  Tequila is a drink for special occasions.  There should probably be dancing.

Melissa, it's a mess.  This is a thread for vanity, and I do not want to go OT and be a bummer.  But my PT, each time she massages my Frankenstein-like ruined 'area,' purrs softly to me about recon -- 'Don't decide now -- you have time -- you can always do it later -- you are so young --' etc.  So today I started crying while she did it.  And she read this as my being so sad about my recon issues, which is not untrue, but I just wasn't crying about that at that moment.  And now everyone is launching into action -- I need a 'counsellor' to deal with my issues regarding reconstruction.  I need to be able to look at my terrible and botched emergency sx gouge job in the mirror more.  Also she forbids me to do yoga or run.  And I issued an ultimatum -- not going back unless things change.

Feb 4, 2014 05:48PM - edited Feb 4, 2014 06:00PM by pupmom

"Wasting Away Again in Margueritaville"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3CmO3X1Q4WM

Life is what happens while we're making other plans. Dx 10/18/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 4, 2014 06:00PM athensamazon wrote:

Hi!  I'm new here and have never posted on any discussion.  I love the topic.

How vain am I?  I can't believe that I took my 9 year daughter to school and went for a blood test, looking the way I do! 

I am on my 5th of 8 chemo rounds, but have managed to "save" my hair with an ice cap.  Okay, it "saved" my hair, so far, for my daughter's sake, but my naturally wavy hair is now the texture of a Jack Russell terrier!!!  Its a pixie cut, but I look like one of my daughter's brunette Barbie dolls who "got a haircut".  You know the way that Barbie hair never actually lies flat EVER AGAIN once it goes in a bathtub???

Then there is the makeup.  I was a model in my 20s and was NEVER seen without at least the makeup basics.  Today, I had the Barbie "haircut" hair, no makeup (I still have eyebrows, but the eyelashes are constantly sticking me in the eye), a huge herpes blister on my lower lip and that's before I let you in on the wardrobe choice today!!!

Here it goes:  a red cotton turtleneck (I slept in), a "vintage" (another word for should have been donated years ago) red Gap sweater, black yoga pants (yes, with visible panty lines), white sport socks and a pair of navy blue fake Crocs bought at the local Chinese shop. 

I laugh at how much I have changed with cancer. 

Thanks for letting me put that out there! 

Feb 4, 2014 08:15PM MsPharoah wrote:

Athensamazon.  So, so funny and so true!!!  Love the way you write.   I had a few days when I did my morning walk in my jimmie jammies.....somehow wearing my sunglasses made me feel anonymous and made it "all right" .  LOL.

Love and hugs, we're all working back to mascara.

MsP 

Oncotype 24 Dx 12/4/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-, Surgery 2/18/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 4/9/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 8/21/2013 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/4/2013 Breast

Feb 4, 2014 08:40PM - edited Feb 4, 2014 08:41PM by Andrea623

Cider, so glad to hear you're NED! That's great news!

Momine, I love that dress! You look amazing!

Welcome to this thread, athensamazon! I used to never be seen without makeup either, and now there are days I do nothing more than curl my lashes. I always have to do that!

"Kindness to animals builds a better world for all of us." - Best Friends Animal Society Dx 8/16/2012, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 9/5/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy Dx 9/13/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 11/6/2012 Breast Surgery 7/10/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 1/22/2014 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 9/9/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 6/15/2015 Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Surgery

Feb 4, 2014 09:58PM Njmom3 wrote:

I called today and was enrolled in the look good feel better program.  They only accept 10 in the program. This one is in 3 weeks the next one is in May!  Thursday I will go to get my nails done and will try to talk with the tech to see what they do with others like me.  This may be a hard conversation given some language barriers (she is from Vietnam). Otherwise is will talk to chemo nurse next week when I begin.  I will let you guys know in case anyone else has the same questions.  Maybe I am super vain if I'm the first to ask!  I got my last drain out, so now it's back to putting a sock in my bra until ps starts fills. I hate the uniboob look!

Dx 11/12/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2013 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/21/2014 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 2/11/2014 AC Chemotherapy 4/22/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2014 Surgery 12/5/2014 Reconstruction (left)

Page 73 of 224 (2,236 results)

Scroll to top button