Topic: How vain are you?

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Nov 27, 2013 03:22PM - edited Feb 5, 2014 10:32AM by SelenaWolf

Posted on: Nov 27, 2013 03:22PM - edited Feb 5, 2014 10:32AM by SelenaWolf

SelenaWolf wrote:

Okay, a few of us have had so much fun on another thread comparing the ways in which we are still vain, that I thought it deserved its own thread.  Everybody chime in... how vain are you?

Edited to add:

We on the "How Vain Are You?" thread recognize that our sense of fun- and humour is not to everyone's taste.  Hence, we have chosen the "Humour and Games" forum to let our hair down.  Although swapping "vain" stories, style tips and beauty secrets are always eagerly welcomed, going off-topic is not a crime.  Neither is bad language or differing opinions.  We recognize that each- and every one of us is interested in conventional, complementary, holistic and alternative treatments as long as there is science-based  research behind each- and every one.  [Like someone said, if honey badger pee as a treatment for breast cancer had hard science behind it, I would be the first in line.]  We reserve the right to honestly discuss the strengths and weaknesses (and dangers) of everything, and laugh at the ridiculousness of life. 

This thread is for sharing and laughter, but it is also about the freedom to DISCOURSE, DISCUSS, DECONSTRUCT, DEBATE and DEBUNK the various- and sundry myths out there about breast cancer and breast cancer treatment no matter what they are.  But don't forget to recommend your favourite lipstick shade along the way.

"... good girls never made history ..."

Page 75 of 224 (2,236 results)

Feb 5, 2014 09:14AM - edited Feb 5, 2014 09:24AM by SelenaWolf

Wyo... thank you.  DEBUNK has now been added to another post.  Caryn... never.  I will never add DENY.

So, here it is:

We on the "How Vain Are You?" thread recognize that our sense of fun- and humour is not to everyone's taste.  Hence, we have chosen the "Humour and Games" forum to let our hair down.  Although swapping "vain" stories, style tips and beauty secrets are always eagerly welcomed, going off-topic is not a crime.  Neither is bad language or differing opinions.  We recognize that each- and every one of us is interested in conventional, complementary, holistic and alternative treatments as long as there is science-based  research behind each- and every one.  [Like someone said above, if honey badger pee as a treatment for breast cancer had hard science behind it, I would be the first in line.]    We reserve the right to honestly discuss the strengths and weaknesses (and dangers) of everything, and laugh at the ridiculousness of life. 

This thread is for sharing and laughter, but it is also about the freedom to DISCOURSE, DISCUSS, DECONSTRUCT, DEBATE and DEBUNK the various- and sundry myths out there about breast cancer and breast cancer treatment no matter what they are.  But don't forget to recommend your favourite lipstick shade along the way.

Feb 5, 2014 09:49AM - edited Feb 5, 2014 09:50AM by del4

Addendum to Selena's excellent summary - in honor of the, ah, older woman who might be reading this thread, and hasn't been doing her Kegel exercises, maybe we should have a little warning "sign" before inviting each other to watch Mrs. Brown do a bikini wax, hhhmmmmm, wonder what the sign might be?

Expect one of the brilliant women could come up with something?  I still haven't mastered ( among many things) posting pictures.

Still DROOLING over those stacked heel oxford shoes, really, drooling.  I can only wear flat shoes ( with good arch support) and would LOVE to find something a wee bit more, well, elegant than my Beloved Keen Presidios.  Also might mention, in addition to no arches, some great bunions! Used to adore, drool over when I just looked at them in my closet, Joan & David brown oxfords.  Guess others have noticed feet seem to get bigger, wider, well, bunions are a hoot! ( especially on hairy toes) as we get older - so even if Joan & David are still made, my feet said bye, bye to them a long time ago.  Way, w-a-a-ay b4 bc.  

I also miss my old brown & white saddle shoes - but that was more than 58 years ago ;-)))

Yeah, selenawolf, thanks for "defending us" in the other world Happy

Feb 5, 2014 10:03AM Momine wrote:

Sunflowers, I have always loved oxfords, flat, heeled, whatever. Sadly, my left foot now has a bunion, on TOP of the joint, which Mr. Google tells me is caused by having high arches (check) and wearing flat, unsupportive shoes a lot (check, love my leather flip-flops in the summer and flat boots in winter). So I got some arch supports and bought my first pair of Adidas (gah!) to wear in the gym and for other exercise. 

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 5, 2014 10:10AM - edited Feb 5, 2014 10:31AM by SelenaWolf

LOVE oxfords!!  Especially with high, stacked heels and spectator-style.  Love saddle shoes, but have never been able to find any.  When I find a pair on-line, they are always out-of-stock, so they must still be popular.

I don't have bunions, but do have corns between my toes from wearing sky-high stillettos for years.  Regular pedicures are a must.

PS.  And for the record?  I take offence at being called "polluted".  I hereby declare to all and sundry, that I do NOT smell.  I shower every day.  And wear Chanel #5.  Religiously.

Feb 5, 2014 10:33AM SelenaWolf wrote:

Edited the original post to contain the "vain" mantra.

Feb 5, 2014 11:05AM del4 wrote:

ah, perfume.  I'm allergic to musk, so that eliminates a lot of them.  Other stuff makes me sneeze, haven't LOVED a perfume/cologne since the 1970's when Bigarade ( was it Elizabeth Arden?) was available  citrusy, orangey, clovey - does anyone remember Tweed?

Feb 5, 2014 11:08AM SelenaWolf wrote:

My mother wore Tweed.  Next to Chanel #22, it was her favourite.  She smelled DIVINE!

Feb 5, 2014 11:17AM - edited Feb 5, 2014 11:18AM by del4

and Shalimar.....    ;)

and Obsession, until I got tired of smelling like a vanilla bean

Feb 5, 2014 11:25AM AmyfromMI wrote:

ThumbsUp Thumbs up to your addendum Selena!

Re: Mrs Brown ~ funniest shit I've seen in a long time!  Loved it soooo much I streamed the first episode while on the treadmill this morning and nearly peed my pants more than once!   Can't wait for episode two tomorrow.

Re: perfume ~ I'm a huge fan of anything Burberry.  Love Touch and Weekend!   My mom used to wear White Shoulders.  Lovely.

Dx 1/21/2013, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 2/1/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/18/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 5/9/2013 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2016 Zoladex (goserelin)

Feb 5, 2014 11:30AM luvmygoats wrote:

Selena - saddle oxfords might be available in sports stores - cheerleader style. Winking A quick check found some on Overstock and Zappos. Know nothing about whether they ship to Canada but have heard good things about Zappos. Noticed they now carry many other things besides shoes, bags. Current TV ad running.

OOO - favorite shade of lipstick. Saw that Maybelline has a new line called "The Buffs" - nudie colors but some a bit darker. Intend to look for them tomorrow when I go to town, that is if snow doesn't get me. This is North Texas and I don't drive on snow esp. 45 minutes for an eye doc. appt that is easily rescheduled. He should be used to it - he's a glaucoma doc who better to deal with "old" people. Ha Ha.

Can you have bunions outside little toe or are they always big toe? Sunny - ha ha hairy toes. One more thing to remember in summer.

SNB & Lumpectomy 2/21/12. Opted for no Oncotype due to very favorable pathology. 90% ER+. Rads finished 5/23/12. 28 + 5 boosts Dx 2/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/21/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/9/2012 Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/8/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Page 75 of 224 (2,236 results)

Scroll to top button