Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dark sense of humor?

illimae
illimae Member Posts: 5,551
edited September 2022 in Humor and Games

Is anyone out there cracking bald or death jokes or am I just the morbid one? For example, when I die, I want my husband to put this shirt on me before the coroner arrives.

Comments

• ninetwelve
    ninetwelve Member Posts: 328

Oh, yes. I crack jokes all the time with my family. Stuff like, Will you get me a beer? I'd get it myself, but I have cancer...

Love the shirt, by the way. The color, everything. I wouldn't wait till the end. I'd just wear it now.

• illimae

ninetwelve, I love that, I'm going to use it on my husband.

I made this one day at work for my amusement.

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329

So Dr, what is my diagnosis?

What is your star sign again?

Cancer.

Now there's a coincidence!

What doesn't kill you, gives you a dark sense of humour. I'm just grateful that people can't read my mind ;)

• limnogal
    limnogal Member Posts: 100

illimae- I love the Uncle Fester look, and I really love that you have the moxie to wear it at work. You go, girl!!

We had a work retreat a few weeks ago. Staff had to provide a "fun fact" about themselves for an icebreaker activity. I wanted to use "I currently have the most expensive hairdo ever." My DD told me in no uncertain terms that cancer was not funny. Whatever...

• illimae

Saw this on FB. I'm going to have one laminated and ready to play it if the situation fits :)

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181

I love it Illimae - I'm one of you. It's all good.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356

illiemae- that is funny. I saw this thread and chuckled when I saw that you started it. I wish you lived near me! We could have fun together. I make comments at work about my cancer sometimes but it makes people uncomfortable. All except from my closest coworkers that would exoect nothing less.

My son is currently doing college acceptanceessays. I told him to use cancer as a topic if he needed to. He said "I'm not playing the cancer card". Why not? If we can get something positive out of this nightmare I'm all for it!! It's not like he's making it up.

• illimae

I think your son should totally use it to his advantage. I find the silver linings wherever I can. And we would have fun, we'd get into so much trouble and blame on cancer!

I'm doing a dia de los muertos 5k next month and although I don't have a joke for it yet, I am a bit amused by the idea of walking around with a skull painted face. I AM the walking dead, bitches!

• illimae

I like to add the phrase "or die trying" to a lot of things these days. Some aren't sure how to take it but I just giggle anyways :)

• erento
    erento Member Posts: 187

Great thread! Love people with a sense of humour, even in the most dire of situations. I do a lot of word play along the line of 'when I died...' (cardiac arrest). I'm careful not to scare my husband with metaphorical 'my heart is going to stop', it's too close to home to be funny.

A friend's mother was dying of cancer. It was around month end. She told her husband: 'Let's hope I'll make it to the 1st so at least you'll get my pension'. Family was used to her dark sense of humour and had a good laugh about it!

• illimae

Loving this bitmoji, lmfao!

• legomaster225

Hey Illimae. I noticed your emoji grew hair! Hope you’re doing alright.

• illimae

Hey Lego, yup, I'm well! I did a 5k last weekend and partied this past Saturday. Just behaving (most of the time) and doing normal stuff. The hair is growing slow but I'm happy to have some :)

• illimae

• illimae

Found the perfect necklace, lol

• HopesFiercely
    HopesFiercely Member Posts: 8

I have found my people! Humor has been helpful in my coping with MBC and it seems to put others a little more at ease.

While I was in surgery to have a metastatic brain tumor removed and my family sat waiting until it was over my son and daughter-in- law shared a story of how one morning after my hair had just started to grow back after chemo I looked in the mirror and thought 'who is that. Reminds me of who... ' after a while I realized I looked like ventriloquist Jeff Dunham's puppet, Walter. Grumpy old man, baldish on top, fluffy short hair sticking out on sides, squinty eyes. I AM not an old man, however the other descriptions may have applied.

I was delighted to think of them sitting and sharing laughter and good memories as they waited.

• illimae

Status update, lol

• legomaster225

Love the status update. Hang in there Illimae! You are one tough cookie!

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492

illimae- when I was diagnosed, my husband said I get one "because I have cancer" card a day. Sometimes I used it unwisely and he would ask if I was sure because I wouldn't get one until the next day.

• illimae

Lego, thanks and Hi 👋

Dogmom, I do something similar with my DH but not too often, it sure is handy though, lol

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900

Bad Girl!! Love the T-shirt.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,053

illimae: I used your name to post. I love the pics you post. I am a whole lot older than you but, as the saying goes, I still feel like a teenager except on the stairs or in the mirror. Everyone is concerned about the elderly in this COVID 19 crisis. They aren't talking about ME. Surely not.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044

As for being elderly, I was fortunate to have lunch with Illimae last year so she knows I'm well over the hill. Here's something to think about...

"When you grow up, who you were as a teenager either takes on a mythical importance of it's completely laughable." (Julie Buntin quote)

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,053

MinusTwo: isn't that too true? I was a pretty nice teenager after I got past being 15. But I did have some pretty naive notions and I did some stupid things. I was, to my credit, never a Mean Girl. I was the one they picked on. I have gotten over that and wish them well. I am quite sure most of them did not grow up to star in one of the "Real Housewives of____________" Smile

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900

Elderberry - how true. Maybe a year lor two ago, somebody commented at bookclub that we sounded like our parents. Talking about ailments.......

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474

• illimae

minus, over the hill?, never!

As for age, I almost never feel my age (45), I usually feel 25 or 95, lol

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793

• illimae

lol 😆

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,689

You all crack me up I must say in this time especially. I not only have been fighting cancer but live with a transplant patient and I have dementia I am fighting as well right now with Primary Progressive Aphasia and will lose my words at some point. We have always felt if you can't laugh you cry. Thank you for finding these great things and sharing these and brightening my day.

Happy