Join Us

We are 224,935 members in 83 forums discussing 163,793 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Sex and the city- Samantha’s cancer ordeal

Forum: Humor and Games — Breast cancer is no laughing matter, but sometimes a good joke or a game is the best medicine.

Posted on: Oct 8, 2018 07:03AM

Nisha517 wrote:

Does anyone watch the episodes of when Samantha was diagnosed with cancer and think “that is so unreal.” Yes she had a lumpectomy and had to do chemo, but her behavior and side effects after chemo are so unrealistic. First, she was doing the red devil, and really had no one to take care of her during side effects. At least they didn’t show anyone. Her friends were occupied in their own lives and her boyfriend was usually off shooting movies. In reality, no matter what chemo one gets, they need someone with them at all times to take care of them. We all knew Samantha was a very strong, independent woman so maybe she was an exception, but I’m sure the strongest of woman need an extra hand around the house during chemo. And then the way she would just be out and about as if she hadn’t just had chemo. She was going to movie premieres, parties, drinking. Her life didn’t really change at all, except she shave she her head and started menopause early. I’m just saying, when I watch the SATC cancer episodes, it angers me that they couldn’t get it more accurate. Getting chemo is not glamorous!

Wondering if anyone else out there feels the same way about SATC?

Dx 7/11/2018, IDC, Left, Stage IIIA, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 8/9/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/10/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Oct 8, 2018 08:19AM NancyHB wrote:

I love SATC and after my first dx I watched closely the Samantha cancer episodes. I found them to be wonderfully funny and a little fluffy - pretty sure I wouldn’t have looked that good at a movie premiere! She never appeared to lose her eyelashes or brows (then again even as Samantha I’m sure she had a makeup artist for those events). I loved how she lost her hair on her own terms, and find the episode where Smith shaves her head (then his) to be incredibly touching.

I had my DH around to help during treatment, but I never needed it. While chemo can be debilitating, I don’t think everyone needs someone during treatment. My husband travelled and I spent plenty of time alone, worked full time, ran races (albeit much slower!) and led yoga practices from time to time. I think that aspect of the episodes are fairly realistic, too.

Chemo is definitely not glamorous, but I tend to think the way it’s portrayed is true to Sam’s character

"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam Dx 11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/4/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/18/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/11/2012 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 1/27/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/14/2016 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Left Chemotherapy 2/29/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/20/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Dx 1/31/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone

Oct 8, 2018 08:53AM Nisha517 wrote:

that’s true. Sam was just different. Maybe I’m wishing I was handling chemo as well as her.

Dx 7/11/2018, IDC, Left, Stage IIIA, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 8/9/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/10/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Oct 8, 2018 09:21AM Egads007 wrote:

As single mother during my chemo, I managed to juggle the household duties and get meals on the table without outside help. I'm not sure if it was all 'up to par', but I got it done. That isn't to say that for some chemo is entirely debilitating, or that I didn't have my days of exhaustion & tears. I think reactions/managing are different for all cases though...perhaps I carried on as close to normal as possible because I didn't have a choice, my son came first.

Glamorous, not on your life, it's anything but glamorous. To have it portrayed as glamorous is certainly annoying.

"I base all my fashion choices on what doesn't itch" (Gilda Radner) Chemotherapy 3/19/2013 Doxil (doxorubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 8/22/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 10/31/2013 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 8, 2018 10:32AM illimae wrote:

I led a pretty normal like during chemo. My hubs was home in the beginning but when he know I was perfectly fine on my own, he went back to working driving (tour buses) and would be gone 3-6 weeks at a time. My infusions were every Monday, so I worked tues-fri. I continued hosting a Sunday dinner with friends and did two 5k walks.

I realize I was very lucky to have minimal SE’s but just wanted to say that it does happen sometimes.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+, HER2+ (IHC) Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 5/23/2019 External: Brain Surgery 1/22/2020 Radiation Therapy 2/17/2020 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 7/20/2020 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 12/4/2020 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Targeted Therapy Tukysa (tucatinib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Oct 8, 2018 10:36AM Nisha517 wrote:

that’s great! I wish that for me and eveeyone

Oct 19, 2018 10:15PM PhoenixCruiser wrote:

Nisha, I hear you and agree.

I also think some responses here are tone-deaf.

Dx 8/2017, Right, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Oct 20, 2018 12:52PM - edited Oct 20, 2018 12:54PM by leftduetostupidmods

I wouldn't have been able to go through chemo all alone without anyone helping me. I could barely walk, Neulasta was kicking my butt, was super fatigued all the time, super chemo brain. Heck, 8 years later I still struggle with life long side effects. People go through it differently, and it drives me nuts when I hear "look at..... they just breezed through" . Also, I think it's very important if chemo is done before or after surgery, as well as (in case of after) how extensive the surgery was. I had BMX with immediate reconstruction, a 11 1/2 hours surgery, then a revision due to complications a month after, and I think I was still far from being recovered from it when I had chemo.

left this forum this time for good due to how stupid moderators are

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)