77th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

Options
kicks
kicks Member Posts: 319
edited July 2017 in

Anybody coming to the famous/infamous 77th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally? Aug 5 -13 2017.

Comments

• kicks
    Options

So there are no Biker Babes at all here? Or married to Bikers coming to the 'Grandfather' of Biker Rallys - Sturgis?

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    Options

Kicks, I've been to Sturgis the week after a rally and it was crazy then. I can't imagine what the actual rally is like. Have fun.

Amy

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    Options

Hey Kicks, my sister will be there!

• kicks
    Options

Amy Q - The week before and the week after Sturgis are indeed 'crazy' throughout He Sapa (Black Hills) area. Rally Week is 'insanity' at the least. They bring in law enforcement agencies from throughout the state as there is no way that Sturgis or Meade county law enforcement could possibly handle.

I have been to Rally a few times when friends came from other parts of the country to see them (we live about 40 m. from Sturgis). One year a Friend and her Hubby were coming up for Rally from Kansas and shortly after they got into SD on a Sat afternoon their truck had a problem and quit running (his Harley wasnon a trailer). She called me, her Hubby talked to mine and we picked up the part needed and took it to them. 3 days later, I took her up in the Hills to go riding (my Appaloosas) and then to see other sites around the Hills. Well, on the way back my truck blew a water hose so her Hubby picked a hose and brought it. What goes around, comes around.

MTwoman - Are you (or your sister) near the Lodgepole Complex fire? It must be horrendous! Last Fri, we had so much smoke here from it that driving up to Belle Fourche, we only had 1/2 m. or less visibility. Rally always is a 'zoo' but being in severe drought is really scary - especially for those of us who have had to deal with wildfires in the past. I do hope your sister has a safe and enjoyable time in Sturgis (no major T-storms with lots of big hail.).

• MTwoman
    Options

Smoke is just awful. We don't have it here quite so badly yet this year. The fire complex is about 2 hours east and maybe 45 minutes north. So not so close, but anything burning when it gets to this point in the summer is too close. We don't really get the smoke from it as our prevailing winds typically blow from the west, but most of our smoke jumpers/hot shots are there. My sister and her husband will be coming here to stay with us and float on the Yellowstone for a couple of days before heading back home to Missouri by way of Sturgis. They have a toy hauler, so the motorcycle will be safely in the back. They've been before, so know what to expect, but I also hope they have a safe time there as well. I've not been during the rally, but have seen photos of that 'zoo'!

• Annbee
    Annbee Member Posts: 81
    Options
    My husband and I rode the Harley from South Florida to Sturgis 3 summers ago. We did not go during the rally. Too crazy for us. We loved it! It is so beautiful and everyone is so friendly. We didn't get to spend as much time as we wanted and plan on going back to do more exploring. Beautiful country
  • kicks
    Options

From what I've seen so far this is going to be a less that 'great' Rally for connisieres. We were up in He Sapa (Black Hills) fhis weekend and there were MANY motels with Vacancy signs out - not usual a week before Rally. There are no "Biker Chains" that I have seen running I 90 that I usually see by now. No Biker groups all over town. Not even see a lot of trailers hauling in bikes.

Well - will see what happens.

• MTwoman
    Options

Do you think it's because of the smoke? It's getting pretty tough to see the mountains around us on certain days.