Join Us

We are 222,244 members in 83 forums discussing 162,404 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Christian Women's Book Club

Forum: Prayers and Spiritual Support —

A safe place to find comfort in and share words of prayer, healing, and encouragement.

Posted on: Mar 19, 2009 09:57PM

AlwaysHope wrote:

A place to discuss topics, books and life from a Christian woman's viewpoint.   Please come share the scripture that means the most to you, discuss books by your favorite Christian author.  Speak from your heart and just share the fellowship of other women who are born again followers of Jesus Christ the Savior.

Page 1 of 9 (265 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (265 total)

Mar 19, 2009 10:00PM AlwaysHope wrote:

I'm currently reading a series by Tim LaHaye called Babylon Rising.  Has anyone else read this?  He is the author who co-authored the Left Behind series.  This series discusses Old Testament prophecy and how it relates to things that are happening today.  Its in fictional story form molded around the prophecies of the Bible.  Sort of a Christian Indiana Jones type story.  I've finished the first book in the series and passed it on to another believer and am currently working my way through the next book.

What are you reading?  Or just tell us how your day has been.

Mar 19, 2009 10:07PM patoo wrote:

You are right - there is AlwaysHope.  Thanks for starting this.

A great, I mean GREAT, book to read is "The Shack" by William P Young.  The first third of the book is a little slow and some people thought it was sad at first but believe me it takes you on such a fantastic walk with the Lord you will be buying copies for your friends.

During this time of crisis for us we need the uplifting of our spiritual friends.

Be blessed.

"for we live by faith, not by sight" - 2 Corinthians 5:7 Dx 10/24/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/11/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 4/1/2009 Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Mar 19, 2009 10:17PM spar2 wrote:

I am going to start Babylon Rising tomorrow.  I did read the left behind series and loved them.  My favorite fiction but using christian testamony author is Ted Dekker.  Thank you so much Jaz for starting this thread.  I also just finished a book called safely home that was so inspiring about how the religion is in China.  I thought there was freedom of religion in China but evidently there is not so they have to have Christian underground houses and the people are so hungry for the word of Jesus.

I know you don't get to heaven by your good works but by faith in the blood of Jesus and accepting him by faith alone, but I love to do stuff for others because it makes me feel I am doing his will and makes me feel good inside. And to me it is so much easier to understand the bible when you are in a study group and you learn things like the date and location and what was going on in the area at that time and getting so many different peoples opinions.  Everyone seems to get a different morsal to share out of each of our bible studies.

Tomorrow, I intend to do some house cleaning and get ready in case my aunt comes to spend the night, it depends on if her son is off work Saturday.  I will go get her in Moore and then she wants to go Saturday to her son's who lives in Lexington, she can't drive anymore so she is feeling so isolated. 

Well, Jaz I wish you a very good night and lova ya bunches!!

hope.jpg theres always hope image by netballer07

www.spar2.multiply.com Lets help make each other's life better

Mar 19, 2009 10:19PM spar2 wrote:

Hi Patoo, so glad to meet you.  Hope we can lift each other up, pray for each other, and just be there for support and friendship and praise the Lord Jesus together.

Mar 20, 2009 08:36AM AlwaysHope wrote:

Hi Patoo, its nice to meet you!  That sounds like a great book and I will put it on my book list to get next time I order some books.

Good morning, Spar!

Mar 20, 2009 09:29AM marshakb wrote:

I am a huge reader and The Shack is the best book I have ever read!  My brother sent them out to everyone he knew after finishing it.  Very quick read.

I've read the Left Behind series but not the new one.  I'll be interested in what you think about it (them?)

I'm not dead yet! Dx ILC, Stage IV, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 20, 2009 09:34AM AlwaysHope wrote:

Wow, guess I will be going to Barnes & Noble this weekend to get The Shack! 

There are only 4 books in this Babylon Rising series, so not quite as long as Left Behind.  Tim LaHaye uses the series to show why he thinks, based on Old Testament prophecy, that we are living in the end times and will see the rapture in our lifetime.

Mar 20, 2009 12:19PM spar2 wrote:

Goodmorning Marsha, Jaz, and Patoo.  I will have to buy the Shack also, do you remember who the author is?  The library might have it here. The left behind series is always how I pictured in my head the very end would be, it seemed so real.  I want to be one of those that just go straight up to heaven.  Hope you guys have a wonderful day.

It is chilly and rainy here and am so thankful because things are so dry, we have been under a burn ban for quite sometime.

So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

I love this verse in the bible, it just gives me chills.  And how we can feel so much love for people we have never met in person amazes me and can't wait to meet some in person.

faith_hope_love.gif FAITH HOPE LOVE image by denitom

Mar 20, 2009 01:48PM patoo wrote:

Hi Spar2, author of The Shack is William P Young.  I will be going to B&N also to get Babylon Rising - may just get the series at one time.  I, too, read the Left Behind series and enjoyed them immensely.

With Him all things are possible.

Be blessed.

"for we live by faith, not by sight" - 2 Corinthians 5:7 Dx 10/24/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/11/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 4/1/2009 Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Mar 20, 2009 07:52PM spar2 wrote:

Thanks for that info patoo.  Hope you are having a great day.  I have had a chill all day but fixed it by holding on to my rice pillow that you just stick in the microwave for a couple of minutes,   I have been lazy today, just knitting away and enjoying my day.   Jazzy where are you?  reading, knitting, or playing on the computer and I know in between praying for everyone.    Am getting pretty hungry so need to go fix supper soon after I check on everyone.  God Bless all.

Mar 20, 2009 07:53PM spar2 wrote:

James410.jpg Inspirational image by evelynmaestas

Mar 21, 2009 09:30AM AlwaysHope wrote:

Good morning

Just thought I would drop a post before I head out for the day.  I hope everyone has a good and productive Saturday. 

Mar 21, 2009 01:17PM spar2 wrote:

Good morning all my christian friends.  Have a good day Jaz you busy bee.  I am going to be productive ok, playing and making stuff. 

Patoo, how are you today.  May you have a blessed day.

Marsha, thinking of you and hopeing you have a great day.

Here is just one verse of one of my favorite poems

Slow down and stop your hurry

Take your time, for life will wait.

Smell the flowers, hear the birds

Even if it makes you late.

Mar 21, 2009 04:58PM sahalie wrote:

This is a beautiful heartfelt thread Jasmine.  I am so happy to join in.

I bookmarked "The Shack" a few weeks back after reading mention about it from a friend and knew right away it was a must read when I finish the book I am now almost finished with.

You have created a wonderful place for inspiration for one another.

XOXO and Prayer

Sahalie

Mar 21, 2009 05:21PM sahalie wrote:

Hi Ladies.

What is "The Left Behind" series about?

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2009 05:38PM - edited Mar 21, 2009 05:43PM by JO-5

The Left Behind series is a fictional account (but taken from scripture) about the end times and the Rapture of the Church. Most of it is right on -- some I'm not too sure of and don't agree 100% with - but a very interesting read. I still think the very first book was the best.

I have just finished the ninth book in the AD CHRONICLES called NINTH WITNESS by Bodie and Brock Thoene. They are writers of Christian historical fiction. This series is a fictional (but very scripturally correct) account of the birth and life of Jesus. In these books you feel how Mary and Joseph must have felt. I love these books and can't wait for the 10th one to come out this Summer. The Ninth Witness takes you to Jesus's trip to Jerusalem when he was 12 and was found teaching in the temple.

What is The Shack about and who wrote it?

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Mar 21, 2009 05:44PM sahalie wrote:

JO.  Thank you.  I feel like running over to the bookstore and beginning this series. 

Are the AD CHRONICLES a different series?   This series really peaks my interest.  I love history, anything historical and I love the bible so I am tweaked about these books.

How many books are in the CHRONICLE series?  Thank you for answering my questions.

Mar 21, 2009 06:01PM - edited Mar 21, 2009 06:02PM by JO-5

The first book in this series is called First Light. There are nine so far with the tenth one to come out this Summer.  They are in paper back too - except for the last one - Ninth Witness. They go into paper back after being out about a year.

This is what is on the fly leaf of First Light---- Spiritual and political darkness shroud the world's holiest and most turbulent city. Ruled by Rome and manipulated by religious rulers with only selfish interests in mind, the people of Jerusalem wonder if their Deliverer will ever come.

Susanna and Manaen desperately search for hope and meaning -- in a world where their love is forbidden. Others pray and wait for light, the True Light of Messiah, to dawn, Peniel the beggar, Marcus the Roman centurion, Zadok the Chief Shepherd of Israel, and his three adopted orphan boys ---- all long for a vision of hope.

Now a healer named Yeshua walks the streets of Jerusalem. Is He the true Messiah? or only another impostor, like so many before Him?

I started reading these two authors with their series The Zion Legacy  - then The Zion Covenant  - and The Zion Chronicles. Each series has 7 - 9 books and each series grows right into the next --- but you could start with the AD Chronicles and do just fine.

Each book has a Bible study in the back concerning the subjects addressed in the book and questions and answers about the verses and their meanings.

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Mar 21, 2009 06:16PM sahalie wrote:

I looked these series of books up and there are so many. 

The websites are informative to all of the contents. 

Thank you JO for your post of info and description above. 

I also read more about The Shack.  Wow. 

I wish so much I had known about these series of books when my dh was alive. 

I read to him constantly while he was ill.  He loved History.  He knew so much about the Bible. 

He would have gotten so much enjoyment out of these books.  

I see they also have the AD Chronicles available on books on tape which is also

a wonderful way to enjoy books.  

I loved reading to my dh as I cared for him.  

I am so grateful to find out about these books now.    

Also to know their is a study guide at the back of each book.  

Those are worth their weight in gold for questions.

I will begin with First Light as you suggest.

~ Sahalie

Mar 21, 2009 06:23PM JO-5 wrote:

Just hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Let me know what you think.

JO

Mar 21, 2009 09:02PM spar2 wrote:

the left behind series left me just gasping for more.  I could hardly wait to start the next book.  It is also so close to what I pictured in my mind happening that it was kind of scary.  Sure makes you want to be right with the Lord and get to go straight up to heaven.  Sahalie so glad to see you here.

JO-5 Glad to meet you.  Hope you hang around let us enjoy getting to know you.

hugs all around. Sherry

Mar 21, 2009 10:43PM sahalie wrote:

JO.  Thank you again for all the information.  I'll let you know which book I get first.

Spar.  I am so happy to be here.  Inspiration and good heartfelt discussion is so good for all of us.

Hello Patoo.

Anyone else enjoy watching the PBS channel.  They have the most incredible series on Christianity.  Also the Discovery Channel.  I learn amazing things.  Books are the best tho'

I can't wait to open the pages.  

Sahalie  

Mar 21, 2009 11:13PM spar2 wrote:

Here is the second verse of the poem Slow Down

Let your eyes feast on the beauties

Let God touch you as you stroll

As you view His great creation

Let his mesage fill your soul.

Hope everyone has a good night and a good sleep.  hugs Sherry

Mar 22, 2009 08:18AM marejo wrote:

Hello all......now your talking.....Contemporary Christian music and Christian "reads".....my favorites. 

I, too, read "The Shack" and can't say enough about it.  I loved it.  It is fiction but man, when the book ended I felt as if I was leaving God's presence in a sense.

Like "Patoo" said, it does start out a little slow and sad.....and at first I wondered if I wanted to continue, but I did and am so glad I did.

Right now I am starting book 4 of the "Left Behind Series."  Also, a good read and reminds you how ready you should be for our Lord's return.

Another wonderful Christian author is Karen Kingsbury. 

I'll be checking into this thread frequently for good book suggestions.

God's Love and Peace to all,

Mary Jo

9 year NED Survivor Dx 6/24/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 22, 2009 08:23AM - edited Mar 22, 2009 08:24AM by AlwaysHope

Good morning fellow readers.  It seems when it comes to finding good books to read, its either feast or famine for me.  I'm definitely in the feast phase right now with all these wonderful suggestions!  I don't know where to start.   Hello to Marejo, JO, Sahalie,, Spar. Marsha and Patoo.  Its going to be another busy day for me here.  I love that spring is here and I can get outdoors more.

Mar 22, 2009 04:05PM JO-5 wrote:

Hello Ladies!

I'll be around because books are one of my favorite things. I still don't know what the "Shack" is about ----- some one fill me in please!

As for the music -- my favorite Christian Music is Southern Gospel Quartets such as the McKameys from Clinton, Tenn. The Inspirations from Bryson City, NC, and going way back The Cathedrals, Blackwood Bros, and The Statesmen.  Any of you ever heard of them?

I'll be checking in every day and writing down the books that interest me....... I like Karen Kingsbury, also!

JO

Mar 23, 2009 11:54PM EWB wrote:

Just started reading The Shack, really looking forward to it. Another book I want to get, I can't remember exact title, but is about living the Bible for a year.

Dx 11/9/2006, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 24, 2009 09:28AM JO-5 wrote:

I was just going through some books and thought of this thread. I have a list for you.

Thanks for the Mammogram (fighting cancer with Faith, Hope, and a Healthy dose of Laughter) by Laura Jensen Walker. (Thanks for the Mammogram was a song she and her hubby made up and sung to the tune of Bob Hope's Thanks for the Memories.)

These other books are all by Barbara Johnson - a Christian writer that has been though unbelievable troubles.

Leaking Laffs BETWEEN PAMPERS and DEPENDS

HE'S GONNA TOOT AND I'M GONNA SCOOT

Living somewhere BETWEEN ESTROGEN AND DEATH

WHERE DOES A MOTHER GO TO RESIGN

and this is my favorite - PLANT A GERANIUM IN YOUR CRANIUM - an account of her battle with a mag. brain tumor.

Hope this keeps you busy for a while!  Smile

JO

Mar 24, 2009 02:01PM patoo wrote:

Yes, Barbara Johnson is funny - a treat. 

JO - The Shack is about a man walking with God after his daughter disappears.  It is an amazing piece of fiction but I would not have been surprised if it were non-fiction.  It is so incredibly believable - exactly how you would expect it to go were it based on a true story. 

Mar 24, 2009 02:32PM JO-5 wrote:

Thanks Patoo!

I was just about to think no one was going to tell me about The Shack. I am going to get it. Funny thing ----- my daughter just called and asked me if I had heard about a book called The Shack and wanted to know what it was about. LOL

I can tell her now.

JO

Page 1 of 9 (265 results)