Join Us

We are 216,296 members in 84 forums discussing 160,161 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Crafts after BC is good for the soul

Forum: Prayers and Spiritual Inspiration —

A safe place to find comfort in and share words of prayer, healing, and encouragement.

Posted on: Mar 21, 2009 11:42PM

spar2 wrote:

Busy hands keeps our minds off of many problems.  If we make things for others we are even doing something good.  I love crafts and hope to find other like minded people full of ideas and post their crafts that they make.  I have made a few since retirement and I think I will post them all here and hope others join me.

www.spar2.multiply.com Lets help make each other's life better

Page 1 of 40 (1,188 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (1,188 total)

Mar 21, 2009 11:56PM spar2 wrote:

I will post some of mine.

000_0945.jpg flip flops with fuzz image by spark56_photo000_0942.jpg flip flops with bling image by spark56_photo000_0941-1.jpg My first scarf image by spark56_photo

000_0941.jpg book marks and chemo hat image by spark56_photo000_0940.jpg my squares image by spark56_photo000_0824.jpg coffee drinking place image by spark56_photo

So here are flip flops, scarfs, bookmarks for church, 7 x 9 squares for afhgans, a table make out of a wagan wheel, covered with a peice of round ply wood and covered with broken ceramic tiles and marbles.  Found the 2 old timey chairs at a flea market and they are very comfy.  Please post some of your crafts or craft ideas.  Give me some inspiration. I will post more tomorrow.

Hope all interested in any kind of craft will spend some time here and enjoy it all.

Mar 23, 2009 08:29PM spar2 wrote:

Thought I would post a few more fun crafts:

000_0851.jpg My sweet duck image by spark56_photo

Here is a beautiful picture my friend ceila made me

000_0778.jpg homemade halloween image by spark56_photo000_0789.jpg pen and pencil holder image by spark56_photo000_0787.jpg witch image by spark56_photo

000_0784.jpg Ann's suncatcher image by spark56_photo000_0746.jpg Emily's mirror image by spark56_photo000_0738.jpg stick heart image by spark56_photo

000_0725.jpg Sis's stained glass image by spark56_photo000_0675.jpg Iris image by spark56_photo000_0678.jpg hummingbird image by spark56_photo

000_0644.jpg image by spark56_photo000_0665.jpg windchime image by spark56_photo000_0663.jpg smoker/grill image by spark56_photo000_0656.jpg butterfly stained glass image by spark56_photo

We have got halloween crafts, stained plexiglass crafts, pencil and pen holder crafts, memory table, windchime made out of sea shells we found.  A smoker my husband made out of bricks around the property. My heart made out of sticks we found.  There is just so much stuff we can make and have fun doing it.

Come share with me or post any pictures of stuff you think I might could make. I enjoy trying new things.

Mar 24, 2009 12:25PM candie1971 wrote:

I love to do crafts too. I just don't know how to put them here. For my daughter's baby shower last month, I made a diaper cake for the centerpiece for her table. For all the other tables I made bouquets of roses made out of baby socks. The favors were bunnies made out of washclothes. I have to have my DD's go over how to post. I have them in my digital camer but dont know how to get them off...i'll be back

I love that duck picture..is that what it is a picture? Oh, I just love ducks!!

Good friends are like stars....you don't always see them but you know they are always there. Dx 5/26/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 24, 2009 12:27PM candie1971 wrote:

I sometimes, frame old cards that have cute pics on them,too.

Good friends are like stars....you don't always see them but you know they are always there. Dx 5/26/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 24, 2009 12:32PM AlwaysHope wrote:

Candie

Here is how to post pics of your crafts.  I'm assuming you already have a digital camera and have the pictures on your pc hard drive.

1)  Open a free account on www.photobucket.com and follow their instructions to upload your pictures to your photobucket album.

2) Once uploaded to photobucket, each pic in your album will have 4 links you can use, for BCO use the 'direct' link.  Simply click on it with your mouse and it will copy the link to your temporary clipboard.

3) On BCO, click on the 'insert pic' icon on the toolbar at the top of the messagebox window, its the green icon that looks like a tree to the left of the big yellow smiley face icon.

4) In the pop up window, paste the link in the 'image url' texbox, then click 'insert' button and your picture should appear in the main message window.

Then just click 'submit' to post to the thread.

Mar 24, 2009 12:37PM AlwaysHope wrote:

Here is a quilt I'm working on.  I've gotten a few more rows added since this picture was taken. 

Mar 24, 2009 12:40PM sunkistmi wrote:

I find that when I'm working on something, whether it's a quilt or some knitting or something else, that I don't concentrate so much on how I feel.  After my SNB and lumpectomy in '06, I continued to work on the sampler quilt I was making for my nephew's wedding gift.  I truly believe that my moving that quilt around helped me to keep my arm movement supple.  I had very little problem moving my arm.  After the mastectomy and SIEA reconstruction a month later, I continued to work on and finish the quilt.

I am amazed at the variety of crafts that we are blessed with.  Thank goodness for all that creativity.  Would anyone be interested in being part of a quilt tree?  It's on the order of a chain letter only you receive pieces of fabric instead of money.  I'd be happy to include anyone who is interested; just let me know.  Keep crafting!

Blessings,

Wendy

Dx 5/27/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-

Mar 24, 2009 01:13PM candie1971 wrote:

Hi Alwayshope...haven't "talked" to you in a long time...glad to "see" you. ok, I will try it tonight. Ilove that quilt..very pretty...what kind of material is that?

Wendy, I dont know how to quilt..when I get to try it, I will let u know.

Mar 24, 2009 01:14PM candie1971 wrote:

No, I dont have my pics on the hard drive of my comp..they are still in my camera...lol, I just read back and realized you aksed me that.

Mar 24, 2009 01:16PM AlwaysHope wrote:

Thanks Candie.  All my quilts, I use 100% cotton.

Mar 24, 2009 01:17PM AlwaysHope wrote:

You will need to put them on your hard drive first then.

Mar 24, 2009 01:42PM candie1971 wrote:

ok I think I can manage that..I will read camera directions..my DD gave me the camera for christmas since my other DD just gave me my first grandchild!!

Mar 24, 2009 01:54PM sunkistmi wrote:

AlwaysHope,

I just wanted to tell you how beautiful your quilt top is.  I haven't done much with hand-dyed or batiks but have wanted to for some time.  I need to be forced to move out of my pink-green florals into other colors.  I like taking classes for that reason.  Sometimes there is a specific kit they use and even tho it may not be exactly what I love, it's fun to use something new for a change.

That's why I was so excited about this purple quilt tree.  I had a lavender bedroom when I lived with my parents and have missed the color over the years.  Most of the time I'm way too matchy-matchy for scrap quilts but when a friend from church sent me this quilt tree idea I couldn't pass it up.  I still have one envelope I need to pass on.  Would you be interested in participating?  There is no money involved, just passing on 2 6x6 pieces of fabric with purple in them to 4 of your fellow quilters and also sending a set to the three persons on the letter; one who is me.

Please forgive me if I have offended in asking but I was so excited to see a fellow quilter on the thread.  I had tried to put together a 'hugs' quilt last August before my surgery but didn't get enough quilters to do it.  If you are interested, please let me know either here or send me a PM.  I would need to get your address to send you the letter and that I would only do through a PM.  I hope to hear from you but if not, you do beautiful work and I'm sure have many projects on the horizon.

Blessings,

Wendy

P.S.  Thank you for posting the process for putting pictures up.  I had been wondering how to do it but just never asked.

Mar 24, 2009 02:05PM AlwaysHope wrote:

Sun, I'm not interested in the quilt tree thing but I would love to send you some of my purples to add to your collection!  I'll pm you.

And thank you very much for the compliment on my quilt top.  :)

Mar 24, 2009 02:27PM - edited Mar 24, 2009 02:29PM by annie-2

Hello there,

This is another thread that interests me --- just wondering how many and how large of a picture we are allowed and is there any other way to put a picture in other than photo bucket? ( I just don't want my info out there on any more sites.)

I make jewelry, every kind of needle work (Brazilian emb, cross stitch, needle point, crewel, crochet and knit) I paint with oils, and Donna Dewbury one stroke, and I have an embroidery machine. The one thing I have never done is make a quilt! Gonna have to try that! LOVE THE PURPLE QUILT TOP!

My crafts keep me sane! (Well, what passes for sane. LOL)

JO

Mar 24, 2009 05:03PM sunkistmi wrote:

Hi Jo,

There is really nothing hard about quilting.  It is basically putting together pieces of fabric using an exact seam allowance, usually 1/4".  Once all the pieces of fabric are put together, making one large piece of fabric, it is layered, using a large piece of fabric for the back with batting in the middle.  The three layers are then anchored together.  This can be done by stitching in the seam lines, tying the layers together with yarn or embroidery floss or stitching in some sort of pattern over the entire unit.  This must be done or the layers will shift.  Jo-Ann Fabrics has some great beginning quilt classes that help the person starting out with how to make the fabric selection to the final layering.  I hate the process of selecting the fabric, usually ending up with a headache, so many times I end up getting a kit.  My favorite part is the piecing of the top.  Right now I have 4 tops pieced but not quilted together.  I think I'm just going to send them out and have them done if I ever want to get them to the people they are supposed to go to.  The decision to do the purple quilt tree project was really not a rationale one but who is rationale when it comes to fabric?

I used to teach needlework but when the RA really kicked in, it became very painful to hold the needles.  I miss it and have done a couple of small counted cross stitch projects.  I am able to knit and have been making baby hats, mittens & booties to give away to new moms at the hospital.  That has kept my hands from stiffening but is sometimes uncomfortable.  It allows me to take something to do just about anywhere, especially on long drives in the car.

I have always wanted to try painting and especially like Donna Dewbury.  I know Jo-Anns has classes for that too but just didn't want to add one more thing to what I like to do.  Boy, that sounds really stupid when actually written out, but I know I have no will power and have too many projects of too many types already started.  I think I have a paint-by-number started that I should dig up and finish.  Someday.

I would love a machine that would do embroidery.  I don't think I would get rid of the sewing machine I have now but could be using that to do the piecing while the computer did the embroidery.  I just took a class several weeks ago and used the top-of-the-line Pfaffe machine.  Oh that was wonderful but $6,000 is just not in the cards at the present time.  I know why they let you use the machines for the classes, it makes you REALLY want one.  I know they sold at least 4 of them after the class.  It's probably a good thing that this particular quilt store is an hour away.  It keeps me from being there more and buying more fabric that I don't need.

I know what you mean when you said the crafts keep you sane.  It takes your mind off the way you are feeling and gives you a feeling of purpose and creativity.  I would really recommend a quilt class, but be warned, it does become addicting.  Good luck.

Blessings,

Wendy

Mar 24, 2009 09:24PM spar2 wrote:

Sun, you sound like my kind of person.  crafts keep me sane also.  Can you post some pictures of some of the stuff you have made.

By the way so very glad to meet you and welcome

Candie, was thrilled to see you interested in this thread.  Have missed you much!

Jaz, that is one beautiful quilt!!!!!! Love it

I can't wait to see some crafts others have made.  The lady that is teaching me to knit makes bunches of baby hats and takes to the hospital here and I am going to make those chemo caps pictured above and take them to the chemo room I was in or if anyone would like one let me know and I will knit you one.

Have a wonderful evening.

Mar 24, 2009 09:35PM - edited Mar 24, 2009 09:39PM by sahalie

What a beeutiful day today has been.  Outside all day.  Got my taxes done then made a bee line to the nursery and loaded up on garden supplies. 

I am worn out but wanted to come add some fun things to this fun thread.

JO.  Pictures size on the threads should be 500 X 500 or less.  Any larger and the page goes way off to the side.   Use the tree box above for demension size and you will be fine.  You can down size any picture you want to post.

Spar.  I love this wonderful creative thread you have started.  One thing we all have in common on the happy side of things is art, crafts, being creative and sharing thoughts and ideas.

So Thank You! 

I have known your amazing crafts for over a year now and you are a busy bee and a creative one at that.  I enjoy your crafts you share that you make with things from your yard and what ever strikes your fancy.  Your wind chimes and glass windows are beautiful.

You know me, I'll go off the charts sharing crafts of all sorts.  Right now I'm finishing a baby quilt for a close friend who is due any time.   I made all my children's quilts, crib pads, sheets, quilted car seat covers.  

The duck picture Celia made for you is also beautiful and I know the love that went into it.  I hope Celia finds this thread as I know she would enjoy it too.

Jazz.  Your quilt above is beautiful !   I can't wait to see the finished quilt.  I haven't started my crochet yet cuz I'm trying to finish the baby quilt on time. 

This time of year I like to make my own "Seed Packet's" and give them to family and friends.

You can use any pattern and write your words on the cover.  I use paper bags from the store that I cut the patterns from because I like the look of the brown wrap and the paper is hardy.

It has an earthy look to it.  You can use any paper.  I've also used wall paper samples.  Those are great for party favors. 

I also like to personalize flower pots especially this time of year.  It's the perfect time to plant herbs and give as a gift to yourself or friends.

I LOVE EVERYTHING GARDEN*

WATERCOLOR. TWINE. BUTTONS.  LOVE. IMAGINATION. WONDERFUL HAPPINESS.

We've only just begun.  Love to SPRING  :  )

Sahalie

Mar 24, 2009 09:36PM kmccraw423 wrote:

This is a great idea.  I have some posts under Feathering Your Nest (or something like that) which is really crafts.  I love to find old nasty furniture, sand it, base paint it and then decorative paint it.

I did take one of the Donna Dewberry's classes and the instructor said I did  good job but I really do not have talent and not always sure I can make the brush do what I want but I keep at it.  I used to go to yard sales to get stuff just to paint!  I will probably do that again this summer.

Kathleen Dx 10/3/2008, DCIS, 4cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 24, 2009 10:07PM karen4u wrote:

Love this thread ladies!!!  I spent 9-2 today quilting at our church.  Our Ladies Aux quilts for people as a source of revenue for the aux.  We just started this about a month ago and it is going great.  We had 16 ladies there today.  I think we will be starting a 2nd rack soon.  This is the first time I've quilted and I love it...the fellowship is great also.  I've done a lot of painting also.  I'm a trash to treasure gal. Love the yard sales and auctions...DH is forever shaking his head.lol.  I'll see what pics I can find and post them.  Into my garden right now and creating a portrait on my lawn. I think I've had more fun with these things since my mets and disability than before when life was rush, rush, rush and I didn't take the time to enjoy life.

Karen

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7 12/2007 Stage IV: Mets to Liver Dx 6/2004, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 25, 2009 10:32AM - edited Mar 25, 2009 10:33AM by annie-2

Okay, ladies, now you are going to find out how much of a fraidy cat I am and not really PC savvy - have any of you had any problems with the photo bucket site? ------- and can anyone else get your pics? I would think not - since you need a password - but is it a really secure site.

I removed my picture of myself from this board because I typed in my user name on Google and up popped my picture!  Don't like that ----- so am wondering about photo bucket.

I would really like to share some of my work ---- but not if it is going to be a problem.

Thanks all!

JO

Mar 25, 2009 10:35AM AlwaysHope wrote:

Unless you make your photobucket album 'private', others will be able to access your album.  I would be careful what you put there.

Mar 25, 2009 10:36AM annie-2 wrote:

Sunkist,

I have done some small quilting projects like pillows and such (even a vest) but never made a large quilt.

LOVE JO-ANN FABRICS STORE! I'm in there so much they think I work there! LOL LOL  We also have Pat Catan's, and any number of bead stores and quilting stores.

JO

Mar 25, 2009 10:43AM AlwaysHope wrote:

By the way, someone mentioned sewing machines that do embroidery.  Last year I bought a Brother 350 that does embroidery and I love this machine.  It was a reasonable price for all that comes with it (approximately $350).  The best part is that it is a self threading machine!

Mar 25, 2009 10:58AM - edited Mar 25, 2009 11:01AM by nelia48

I love doing crafts, too.  I love using old linens and quilts, so have been making these angels for a long time:

quilt angels

Visit my blog at www.hiddenrichessecretplaces.b... Diagnosos: IDC - T4, N2, ER+, PR+, Grade 2, 5/15 lymph nodes, diagnosed 7/2008 Stage IIIb

Mar 25, 2009 11:01AM - edited Mar 25, 2009 11:02AM by AlwaysHope

I love it!

Mar 25, 2009 11:18AM - edited Mar 25, 2009 11:20AM by annie-2

ME AGAIN,

I decided to check with my McAfee adviser and it basically says Photo Bucket is ok - with minor problems -- but reading some of the comments of users ----- I have decided against it.....  so I will just have  to print word pictures for you!

My embroidery machine is a White 3300. It embroiders a 4x4 area - but that is expandable. I have what is called a mini Amazing Box that attaches to the PC. I can insert any embroidery disc in my hard drive and convert the images to my rewritable card. Insert that card in the machine and embroider away! It is truly amazing and is a stand alone embroidery machine ---- can't sew on it. They are sold in our local JoAnn Fabric store ---- but now the new ones connect directly to the PC. The best part is the cost. $499 if you get it on sale, $599 regular. I have looked at the expensive ones - but for the money this does all I will ever want it to. It would be great for quilt blocks, and just the right size for clothes, and I've made lacy scarves, Christmas ornaments, bookmarkers. I have a Viking sewing machine that has basic embroidery straight line embrodery stitches and a White serger - so I have no need of a machine that does it all.

Beside crafts - I also like to cook ---- so I'm off here and going in to make Taco Soup!

Bye all!

JO

Mar 25, 2009 11:45AM AlwaysHope wrote:

Here is a quilted wall hanging.  Its a stip quilt that quilts itself as you sewing each 'row' onto the batting/backing layer and then each square is tied in the middle with yarn.  Very easy and fast to make.

Mar 25, 2009 01:57PM sunkistmi wrote:

Good afternoon ladies,

Wow, I love this thread.  I will try to get some pictures of some of the things I have done.  Unfortunately, I don't keep many of the things I make but give them away but I do have the quilt tops.  I need to get finished one of them that I will be taking to Alaska the beginning of June when I go to work at the bible camp that has been a family project since 1992.  We are usually there in the summer months but took our spring break trip in 2008 to the camp in Fairbanks.  Normal people go south, we went north. LOL.  It was probably the last time our son will be with us since most 21 year olds aren't usually thrilled to spend a week with their parents, but we had a great time.  We went dog mushing, saw the world famous ice statues, went snowmobiling and visited their world famous hot springs.  The hardest part of that was the run from the hot springs back to the building!  It was so beautiful to be sitting in this huge pool of 100 degree water surrounded by softly falling snow and the snow covered hills.  I had been there in the summer but it wasn't the same.  It was just a wonderful time to be together as a family.  Anyway, where I started with this was that while there the director of the camp asked me if I would like to do a quilt project that she felt she was never going to get to.  I got all the pieces cut out and appliqued on the top and now all the edges need to be sewn down before the actual quilting process begins.  I would really like to take it with me in June but I'd better buckle down.  Does anyone have a favorite stabilizer that they use?  I've got to put something on the back before I start to do the edges of the appliques or it will buckle on me.  I'll try to post a picture when I finish it.  It has "bear paws" walking up the side and each one contains 11 pieces of fabric.  It's going to be beautiful when finished.  They plan to hang it in the main lodge, if it ever gets there.

Jaz, the wall hanging is beautiful!  I really like the methods of adding fabric and quilting it at the same time.  Have you heard of the Cotton Theory?  It was developed by a quilter named Betty Cotton (yes thats her real name) and it is a method of doing the quilting on the small blocks before they are joined together.  You have the ability to do a king sized bed quilt in small sections.  It has been fun doing the projects and gives the quilter the ability to use some of the decorative stitches on their machine if they have them.  If not, a regular zig-zag stitch works fine too.  In the last class I took, we learned how to take some of the orphaned sampler blocks most of us quilters have, and put them together using Cotton Theory.  It was really fun and so simple.  Course it's just what I need, another project.

Part of the problem is that with this vertebre out of place so far in my back, it becomes very difficult to sit down.  It feels like someone is using a paddle bit to drill into my right tush.  Then the leg starts to buzz, go numb and hurt.  Seems like something shouldn't be allowed to be numb and hurt; should be one or the other.  Drs want to put in 4 screws and 2 rods to pull it back into place but so far have not been able to wrap head and heart around any more surgery.  I've had 8, which included 2 mast & recons & a total knee, between 3/06 and 12/08.  The one on Dec. was the 21st surgery I have had since 1971.  I am just DONE but know that this back thing is not going away by itself and potentially could only get worse.  I get steroid injections every 8 weeks that help relieve the symtoms but they don't fix the problem.  I had one Monday and have to stay down for at least 3 days for optimum relief.  Today I woke with a terrific headache and backache that tells me the steroid is kicking in, but will take close to a week for full effect.  I really need it to work since we are driving to FL to visit DH's parents for Easter break.  21 hours sitting in the car is not my idea of fun but with the knitting, time goes a little faster.  I also make a bed in the back of the minivan and am able to lay down when it gets too bad.  Unfortunately, my relationship with mother-in-law has me walking on eggshells the entire time we are together.  I have to think about every direction something I say can be taken before saying it because she turns stuff around so badly.  I do not enjoy these visits at all but DH has stood by me while I have gone thru so much.  I know he misses them altho it does seem like he is really ready to leave when it is time.  It's so unfortunate that they have 6 grandchildren that they have isolated themselves from, so the kids do not know them at all.  My parents both died before David was born so they didn't know him, but I know they would have never moved 1000 miles away from their family.  In the entire time they have lived in Florida, 15 years, they have never asked any of the grandkids down to visit, one on one.  They don't come up for holidays and didn't make it to David's or the next two grandkids graduations.  Then they wonder why no one stays in touch.  I feel sorry for all of them.  Thankfully, David has had some close 'elder influences' at church that have sort of filled that grandparent role.  I really  think kids need that.

Well now that I have totally hijacked the thread from what it is supposed I will stop.  I look forward to seeing all the wonderful projects everyone is doing.  Looking back at the pictures, it seemed like someone had done a  mosaic tabletop.  I have been saving old dishes with the idea of smashing them up and covering the top of an old table I have to use on my porch.  I know there is a product that is mixed up and poured over the broken pieces.  Somehow it all levels out and you end up with a smooth surface.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?  I would really appreciate it as one of these days, the weather IS going to get nice here in Michigan.  I want to be ready when it does.

I'm going to log off now and try to calm this head.  Maybe not staring at a computer screen with help.  Have a wonderful rest of the day my crafty sisters and thanks for letting me ramble.  Hopefully I haven't ticked too many people off.  Thanks for any suggestions regarding a good tear-away stabilizer.

Blessings,

Wendy

Mar 25, 2009 02:09PM Bren-2007 wrote:

Nelia,

I love the angel quilt.  Do you have a pattern for it!! 

Thanks,

Bren

Page 1 of 40 (1,188 results)