We are 197,800 members in 81 forums discussing 145,375 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Prayers and Spiritual Inspiration → Topic: Catholics

Topic: Catholics

Forum: Prayers and Spiritual Inspiration —

A safe place to find comfort in and share words of prayer, healing, and encouragement.

Posted on: Jul 30, 2009 10:17PM - edited Aug 14, 2012 07:09PM by Estepp

Estepp wrote:

Hello,

I am Catholic., and I have been walking with Jesus my whole life...and He has saved me from "me" many times...LOL....

One thing I do, is pray.. a lot. I think we all do as Christians. I headed this thread Catholic only because of what I am posting. All are welcome to pray this anytime.. but I did not want to offend others who are not Catholic, or who might not understand.

A Novena is a 9 day consecutive prayer. ST. Peregrine is the patron saint of all CANCER.

I post this for all who might want the prayer to St. Peregrine. A POWERFUL intercessor.

God Bless you girlies... I sure love ya!

Laura

Novena To
St. Peregrine 

Prayer to Saint Peregrine

O great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty," "The Wonder-Worker," because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you.

For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fibre of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favoured with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you.
(Pause here and silently recall the names of the sick for whom you are praying)
Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy.
Amen.

St. Peregrine was born in 1260 at Forlì, Italyto an affluent family. He lived a comfortable life as a youth, and politically opposed the papacy.  After he experienced the forgiveness of St. Philip Benizi, he changed his life and joined the Servite order.  He was ordained a priest, and later returned to his home to establish a Servite community.  There he was widely known for his preaching, penances, and counsel in the confessional.  He was cured of cancer, after he received a vision of Christ on the cross reaching out His hand to touch his impaired limb.  He died in 1345 and was canonized in 1726.  He is the patron of cancer patients.

LINK TO CATHOLIC INTENTIONS THREAD:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/38/topic/760131?page=1

LINK TO CATHOLIC PRAYER ARCHIVES:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/38/topic/760274?page=1

We are the Ta Ta Sisterhood! Her2+ BC is what I had.... and yes sisters.. I had lymph node involvement...Plus Radiation AND Implant only Reconstruction. DX 6/25/08

Page 349 of 349 (10,469 results)

Posts 10441 - 10469 (10,469 total)

Oct 2, 2017 07:35AM ElaineTherese wrote:

feelingfeline,

How awful! Praying.....

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/23/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/17/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/12/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/25/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/9/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 2, 2017 07:42PM Tri-lady7 wrote:

Hi Elainethere- I'm not sure what type of chemo yet as I have an appt. with the MO next Monday. Thank you for your advice. I hope it doesn't effect me to much. I guess it is a wait and see. Thanks again!

Dx 8/3/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/16/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Oct 2, 2017 09:37PM AmyQ wrote:

I wanted to share that two weeks ago I was able to venerate the relic of Saint Peregrine (a first class relic) while visiting the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in LaCrosse, WI - I attended mass and before hand had the opportunity for confession. During that time the Priest suggested I ask for the opportunity to venerate the relic which I was able to. This was a wonderful gift and has carried me with high hopes ever since.

Has anyone else had a similar opportunity?

Amy

Dx 2/7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 2/3 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/8/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/18/2013 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/24/2015 External: Bone Hormonal Therapy 1/9/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Oct 6, 2017 09:43PM AgathaNYC wrote:

Hello, ladies. I'm glad I found this thread. I have IDC, triple negative and just had my first chemo session today. I'm so thankful that I found this thread full of women who understand what it's like to live with breast cancer and also understand the richness of Catholic spirituality!

I am never any good for selecting screen names, so I picked Agatha for St. Agatha of Sicily. She was one of the saints I used to think about a lot since I'm an enthusiastic amateur baker and she is patroness of bakers. Only now I look to her as a patroness of breast cancer patients, too.

My treatment is at Sloan Kettering in NYC and after my first consult with the oncologist and surgeon I was a little wound up. After the meetings I wandered a couple of blocks north and a couple east just to clear my head. I found myself at the steps of a wonderful church, St. Catherine of Siena. As soon as I stepped inside I felt immediately at ease, nurtured. There are wonderful side chapels for prayer and meditation. The parish is run Dominican Friars. At the end of the post I'll try to embed a little video about their health ministry. It's very interesting.

Please pray for me - I'll be praying for all of you, too. Peace be with you.

Dx 9/11/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/5/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Oct 7, 2017 10:17AM ElaineTherese wrote:

Welcome, Agatha!

What a nice story about your screen name. Therese of Lisieux was my confirmation saint; that's why her name is part of my screen name.

I'm sorry you had to join us here. Triple negative cancer can be scary, and chemo is no fun. What chemo regimen are you doing?

How wonderful that you have found a spiritual sanctuary near your medical center. My daughter signed me up for an hour of perpetual adoration in my local parish on Wednesday afternoons. It sometimes means juggling my work schedule, but it's always worth it. Many blessings to you; I light a candle every week at Mass for my BC sisters and brothers.

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/23/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/17/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/12/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/25/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/9/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 7, 2017 12:12PM feelingfeline wrote:

Best wishes to you Agatha.

SOme good news on BC.org member's daughter. She made it through surgery. However still in ICU so prayers still needed for her continued recovery.

Dx 1/20/2012, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, 3/22 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/7/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 4/2/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/30/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 8/5/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 8, 2017 03:58PM Tri-lady7 wrote:

Hi AgathaNYC- welcome! So glad you found this site. How nice to stumble upon that church at your time of need. I like to go to my church and just sit and pray. I will pray for you and all of us.

Hi feelingfeline- so glad she made it out of surgery will continue to pray for her.

Dx 8/3/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/16/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Oct 9, 2017 07:13PM AgathaNYC wrote:

Hello, Ladies, and thanks for the welcome. Your all in my prayers Hug

Dx 9/11/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/5/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Oct 12, 2017 12:32AM - edited Oct 12, 2017 12:35AM by SajeScents

Hello, Everyone,

I am so glad to have found this discussion group for Catholics. I am now 9 months post diagnosis of triple positive bc. The hospital where I had my surgery and chemo has a beautiful Catholic chapel where I found such solace throughout this ordeal. Were it not for the grace and strength I received through prayer (my own and others' prayers), I would have been a basket case. The fear in the beginning was paralyzing! I am happy to say that fear has taken a hike! Praise God! While I pray for total healing, I trust God will bring some good out of our suffering (offered up) for us and others. God bless you all!

Heart

Dx 12/7/2016, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/12/2016 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/24/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 6/5/2017 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 12, 2017 04:06AM feelingfeline wrote:

Welcome SajeScents. How wonderful that you were able to receive such grace during your ordeal. XXX

Dx 1/20/2012, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, 3/22 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/7/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 4/2/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/30/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 8/5/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 14, 2017 01:28AM SajeScents wrote:

Thank you for your welcome post, FeelingFeline.

I have been reading through many of the posts on this Catholic thread! There is such great faith expressed here by members no matter what their stage or treatment outcomes! This is so refreshing compared to a Canadian forum of which I am also a member (different screen name).

Thank you, everyone. Wishing you all continued strength and blessings.

Dx 12/7/2016, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/12/2016 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/24/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 6/5/2017 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 14, 2017 03:59AM feelingfeline wrote:

Amen Nerdy

Oct 14, 2017 10:08AM ElaineTherese wrote:

SajeScents,

I was diagnosed with triple positive BC, too. It's definitely a marathon, not a sprint. I feel as though my relationship with God has grown closer and stronger since diagnosis. I feel very blessed to have been given the gift of consolation, that feeling of calm peace that comes over me despite the many challenges that have come from diagnosis. Hope you are blessed as well!

Oct 14, 2017 12:37PM feelingfeline wrote:

Update on BC.org member's daughter. Continuing on life support but responding to commands to move eyes, squeeze hands etc so clearly present and responding to her family and medical team. Her Mom says: please keep up the good work. No prayer is ever wasted. XXX

Oct 14, 2017 11:00PM SajeScents wrote:

FeelingFeline, thank you for the update. I will be praying for BC.org member's dear daughter.

ElaineTherese, yes, I find it hard to read of other members' suffering and fear without their sensing God's presence and consolation through it all. It's beyond words, and I feel helpless to offer any relief to them other than prayers. I'd like to be able to share His great consolation with them. If only they'd beg Him, what a gift they would receive.

Nov 5, 2017 12:44PM - edited Nov 5, 2017 12:45PM by ElaineTherese

RonnieKay just posted that GrammyR has passed. GrammyR often posted on this board, in good times and bad. She had a strong faith in God, and often lifted up the rest of us in prayer. I hope she is at peace now, and I pray for her family and friends. Fly free, GrammyR!

Nov 5, 2017 03:08PM feelingfeline wrote:

May she be ever at the right hand of God. May He console her family and friends.

Thank you so much for letting us know Elaine Therese.

Nov 5, 2017 04:54PM - edited Nov 5, 2017 04:59PM by RonnieKay

I was in the midst of a long message to you all, Rene's sisters in faith, last night, only to have my phone lose battery and turn off. I cried....I knew how important it was to let you know she was with the angels...and then, I couldn't write again. We just got back from Mass...lots of prayers of thanks & candle lit. I'll tell you more about the friend I deeply loved and thank God that I was able to spend time with over the last three years...almost to the day.

Rene (pronounced Reny) was a very devout Catholic....all her life. She was never afraid of dying, she was just sorry that it took longer than she thought it should've (God's will, she knew). She said she felt like a scoundrel (her word!), when she went into hospice and then kept hanging on. I teased that her stoic English upbringing made me crazy...who uses the word scoundrel????

She was a devoted Mother to her only son, who she raised herself from age 7. He & his wife blessed her immeasurably with Emma-9, who she taught to sew and ride a bike, and Iain-7, who she babysat after preschool and had cookies for. She adored them! When she moved from assisted living to the adult family home, her son's family took Layla. She missed her but they had just lost their cat and Rene was thrilled that Layla was happy with them.

Rene was a nurse...in many different specialties...even hospice. She never expected enough (my words) of the people who cared for her in her final months...because she thought the nursing staff had others who may need them more. In other words-loving & selfless. My 4 yr old grandaughter & Rene were fast friends..Margaux would try to speak "British" like her. They ate lunch together sometimes. She liked when we'd take her a favorite DQ orange Julius or McDonald's fries.

Rene was a gifted seamstress, knitter & quilter. She made beautiful quilts as family gifts. When she was in assisted living, she taught knitting to residents. When she moved to her final hospice home, she only wanted her favorite wool blanket & the quilt she made with lilac & yellow flowers on it. I washed it at home so they wouldn't lose it. The one time they washed it-they lost it!! A few prayers to St Anthony & it was back :-)

Rene was a gardener. She had roses, roses and more roses and taught Iain all about them. Her favorite flowers were lilacs.

She was one of 8 children. Her mother died at 69 years old, of a heart attack...and she so wanted to live past 69. Her birthday was October 29th...last Sunday. She was 70. We celebrated with her favorite blackberry pie & ice cream. We talked & talked, laughed & laughed. I went on Wednesday. She said she felt alone, and that was okay with her....but we cried..and I reminded her she was never alone. Thursday night I texted her son to please tell me when they told him time was short. She died at 9:15, Friday morning. It snowed that morning. She loved her window where she watched leaves turn to gold and fall away. Her spirit drifted to the heavens that morning. I am sad but rejoice in her new life and the precious moments we shared.

Jesu, the very thought of thee / with sweetness fills my breast; / But sweeter far thy face to see, / And in thy presence rest

Rene loved all of you. Love & Peace, Ronnie

Dx 6/1/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/23/2009 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/10/2009 Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/6/2010 Femara (letrozole) Dx 6/9/2011, IDC, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/30/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 6/28/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Dx 12/21/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Nov 5, 2017 05:06PM lekker wrote:

RonnieKay, what a beautiful eulogy of your friend. Thank you for sharing her life with us. Prayers for her and all who love her.

Colorectal carcinoma in situ January 2000 (age 30), and now this... Dx 7/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/6/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 10/3/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/11/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Nov 5, 2017 05:27PM - edited Nov 5, 2017 05:28PM by RonnieKay

When Rene & I met in 2014, Rene & Margaux having lunch, our trip to the park & fish & chips (with vinegar) in Sept. In 3 years, she became one of my best friends...I miss her. She would be cheering on her Seahawks right now :-)

Dx 6/1/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/23/2009 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/10/2009 Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/6/2010 Femara (letrozole) Dx 6/9/2011, IDC, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/30/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 6/28/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Dx 12/21/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Nov 5, 2017 05:53PM ElaineTherese wrote:

RonnieKay,

Thanks for sharing your memories and your pictures of Rene. They are beautiful! I only knew her from this thread; thank you for sharing your friendship with us and helping us to see how truly special she was. ((Hugs))

Nov 5, 2017 07:50PM SajeScents wrote:

RonnieKay, thank you for sharing about Rene. I am new to this forum and missed getting to know her through her posts, but reading what you wrote makes her feel close and warms my heart! May God richly reward her! What an inspiration!

Nov 5, 2017 08:08PM SajeScents wrote:

RonnieKay, thank you for sharing about Rene. I am new to this forum and missed getting to know her through her posts, but reading what you wrote and seeing your beautiful photos brings you both close and warms my heart! May God richly reward her and you too! What an inspiration!

Nov 6, 2017 04:33AM feelingfeline wrote:

RonnieKay thank you so much for posting. I am so thankful to hear that Rene's last stretch on the journey home was so peaceful. I am also so glad to hear that her DS and DDIL took Layla, what a blessing.

Nov 7, 2017 02:41AM RonnieKay wrote:

It makes me smile knowing Rene is in your hearts & prayers. Feelingfeline...Layla was really shy, mostly hiding from visitors. Every now & then she'd come out to see me. Rene was beyond pleased when Alex told her she came into the kitchen in the morning to see him while he made breakfast. Another one of those blessings that made her happy :-

Nov 7, 2017 06:35AM feelingfeline wrote:

NerdyHeart

Nov 18, 2017 08:38PM SajeScents wrote:

Just thought I'd share a link to cable tv show featuring a Jesuit Priest who speaks from the heart on suffering (he was afflicted with blindness later in life). He is well trained in both science and philosophy and answers questions from viewers. He has helped me overcome so much initial fear and anxiety when I was first diagnosed. Thanks to his very candid, deep sharing of his own struggles, I can now trust God more and don't feel that my suffering is wasted (in remission for the time being). Hope you find him uplifting and edifying.

Nov 28, 2017 01:44PM AgathaNYC wrote:

SajeScents - thanks so much for the link. I tune into EWTN occasionally but have never seen Fr. Spitzer. I am very interested in the intersection of science and faith. I'll look for his books, too.

I'll be praying for all of you to have a blessed and healing Advent. Can you believe it's almost here?

Nov 29, 2017 04:33AM feelingfeline wrote:

Thanks Sajescents.

Yes Agatha - this year seems to have flown, it is true what they say about time speeding up as you get older. I think once the generation below arrives time moves faster.

Page 349 of 349 (10,469 results)