We are 172,130 members in 80 forums discussing 133,489 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Prayers and Spiritual Inspiration → Topic: Gardening to divert depression

Topic: Gardening to divert depression

Forum: Prayers and Spiritual Inspiration —

A safe place to find comfort in and share words of prayer, healing, and encouragement.

Posted on: Jun 13, 2010 02:31AM

rajkumari wrote:

I have  one  ornamental orange plant in the pot.I pick it up  from the nursery with only leaves. It has 5,6 small oranges. Really beautiful. But It can not be eaten . When I saw it gives real oranges, I  am  so happy. I sit everyday near it  relaxing my mind forgetting the impact  in my life.As there is no flower in my  balcony garden, I have planted only Indoor Plants. But  with inspiration from Meece I have planted  a Liliac plant. It is really nice to join the forum. I get lots of new  things  after joining the  forum which I never had  in my life earlier. Thanks a lot ! 
snehlata Dx 3/26/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 15 (422 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (422 total)

Nov 6, 2010 12:13PM - edited Aug 19, 2013 11:07PM by karen4u

How is your orange plant doing?  I garden also, it gives me comfort and I enjoy seeing a new bud blossoming into a flower, a freshly planted shrub maturing and growing new leaves and yes, I do talk to them.  Sometimes I even name them.  You could almost call them my babies.  I hope your plant is bringing you much pleasure.

Karen 

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7 12/2007 Stage IV: Mets to Liver Dx 6/2004, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Nov 10, 2010 06:03AM rajkumari wrote:

Karen,  its so nice of you,  of course when we see blossoming flowers in the garden we feel good but you know I felt very bad when it starts fading away when mature. But  when you plant herbs or any kind of ornamental plant we don,t feel emptiness  because there is always new leaves coming with lusture green,bright shine everytime, so I always feel good with profound relief, no feeling  of emptiness when I feel at the time flower faded slowly as  ,it oftenly reminds of our own life. So after breast cancer strikes me I have stop planting flower plants in my balcony. I have recently grown an Aloe Vera plant  I dont,t how long it will stay. It sounds funny ,isn,t it nonsence ?   

Nov 10, 2010 04:18PM karen4u wrote:

No, it doesn't sound like nonsense.  But your Aloe Vera should be around for a while, as long as you keep it watered.  They are great for burns also.  I have a few small plants in my kitchen window, don't even know the names of them, but I enjoy looking at them.  I've just recently brought in my larger plants for the winter so now my house if full of green, lol. We have 38 acres so I am always planting something during the spring.  It is the best therapy!!!    

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7 12/2007 Stage IV: Mets to Liver Dx 6/2004, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Nov 12, 2010 12:12AM rajkumari wrote:

I  am  also fond of  plantation  as it  gives  best therapy but you know I don,t have  land  as I am staying  in a 4th Floor apartment  with  two small balcony. I bought a small plot of land in  hill slope, I am  planning  to do some plantation preferably  larger plants. You have a  big  space so you can do lot of things there. You can grow not only  flowers  but also  vegetables etc.etc. I can imagine  now  the way it,s going  to  look when you  go for plantation.

Nov 12, 2010 12:28AM Elle45 wrote:

I am new her but have been gardening since I was a child. If there isn't something growing in the house I do get depressed! We are fortunate to have land for a vegetable garden where we can grow enough veg to keep us stocked through rhese cold Wisconsin winters!

Many of my friends live in apartments and have container gardens on balconies where they can grow some veg as well as flowers.

My neurologist told me that having something growing that we can enjoy is the best treatment for the spirit. I see that many of you agree.

Elle

Dx 10/27/2010, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 12, 2010 12:56AM rajkumari wrote:

Yeah, I do agree  with you. You know I am doing exactly as what you say. I have  vegetables in the tub like, chilly, spinach, season onions, corriender leaves, balsom (local) other  3 I don,t know its name in English as it is locally available.  I have  flowers but you it never blooms, so  I plant  indoor plants like , palms, tiny bamboos, hibiscus (single), liliac and  more. Total of 35 pots are in my balcony. You know everytime when  I water the pots, I feel so  fresh  especially in the morning hours.

Nov 12, 2010 01:03AM NatureGrrl wrote:

Gardening nourishes my soul.  I don't have a place to garden outside right now but I have plants inside that help. It's one of my favorite things to do because it makes me feel better on so many levels.  I'm glad to see this thread!

The other thing that  helps me a lot is just being out in nature, so I like to find places to walk that bring me close to plants, like parks and the woods.

rajkumari,  I'll enjoy hearing what you plant on your land!  If I were gardening outside here, in spring I'd have things like peas, broccoli, kale, and lettuce; in summer, tomatoes and peppers and eggplant and lima beans and okra.  I used to grow a lot of fruit, too -- berries of all kinds, apples, pears, currents, cherries.... Your 35 pots must be a wonderful garden on your balcony!

Happy gardening, everyone!

Carol, living out loud! fire-of-our-hope.blogspot.com/ Dx 4/2009, IDC, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Nov 13, 2010 05:21AM rajkumari wrote:

Naturegrrl, when I post my  feelings on gardening  at the first instance, I thought  no one will appreciate it. But now I am so happy that  all of you started liking this thread. I am happy to see the  posts  of Karen4u,Elle45 and now yours. I will be going  to my land tomoro to clean up the  wild plants then I will see what I can plant there. You know, in my place because of the climatic conditions growing broccoli, lettuce is not possible but other veg. like tomato, cauliflower, cabbage, eggplant, frenchbean,okra may be grown. I am planning to it when I retired from my job. I have eight years of service ahead. If all is going well then my plan  would be successful. Thanks all of you to join me and express your ideas ,suggestions.

Nov 13, 2010 05:48AM BMac wrote:

I love gardening too.  It nourishes my soul.  I like to walk around my garden looking at my beautiful "babies".  I've lost a lot of my plants because the people behind us put in trees that are now turning my full sun garden into a part shade garden.  I've been trying new plants that are more shade tolerant.

I also have many indoor plants in my south facing window.  They make me happy and bring such life to the room.

Barbara Dx 10/23/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 13, 2010 01:05PM karen4u wrote:

I have 2 Natchez crepe mrytles and a rose of sharon that I really need to get in the ground.  Oh yeah, and several forsythias and hydrangeas that I have rooted.  Gotta get to work!!!

Nov 14, 2010 04:37AM rajkumari wrote:

Today, I clean up my pots. I was thrilled to see my orange plant  with lots of  tiny oranges may be around  10 nos. but  no leaves. My mini bamboo plants  is thinning , but I am keeping it. I have taken photographs.  

Nov 16, 2010 06:19PM karen4u wrote:

Hello rajkumari.....It has been raining here the past few days so I haven't been outside.  I know my plants are enjoying their watering though.  Glad you are seeing the fruits of your labor.  I think I may try to get a lemon tree this next spring or sometime in the future.  Post your pics so we can see your oranges also.  I am going to have to take some and post too.  God Bless You.....Karen.    

Nov 16, 2010 06:40PM 3jaysmom wrote:

raj, and ladies,

since my dx and tx, the only place i feel at peace, truly, is in my garden, which is truly beautiful. its a lot of work, and well wrth it. being in fla. there's only a few months where the outside is too cool, and all may delicate flowers come to live inside. my orchids, etc. go out in the day for the sunshine, then in, at nite if its' too cool... i have planted it all around butterflys, and i keep a black light for when the moths come in at nite. they truly are even prettier than the butterflies.  so glad to meet all of you here that share my love of gardening...     3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/20/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Nov 17, 2010 10:59PM - edited Aug 19, 2013 11:12PM by rajkumari

Hi! Karen4u and jays mom, in our region  neither rain nor cool. Its moderate and pleasant but during rainy season  in June,July its horrible..too hot, without AC life is miserable,  there are flood water everywhere. I feel very dirty that time. But  now  day time is okay ,  night  time is little cool. I have to water the plants twice in the morning and evening to save the plants.  Jays mom , it,s hard to see butterflies. Your orchids might be surrounded  by butterflies in the lights.You take photo when they are playing around your plants in the light. Warm kisses  to both of you.

Nov 19, 2010 06:58PM 3jaysmom wrote:

thanks    Raj...the butterfly season is gone for this year. we had lots of caterpillars, and they became butterflies and finished the cycle. will, for sure, get pics next season.  {{{{{{hugs}}}}}to u all     3jays
3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/20/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Nov 20, 2010 09:54AM rajkumari wrote:

3jaysmom ! thanxs. I heard catterpillers destroys plants. If so you have to careful for your garden.

Nov 20, 2010 12:22PM karen4u wrote:

Well ladies I had a pretty productive day in my garden.  Got my trees planted along with several other plants.  My husband surprised me with a 12 x 28 portable building to put in our back yard.  This will be my hobby room for sewing, painting and such.  We set it at the back of the yard and it has 4 windows across the front so I can look out and admire my garden.  I love it.....I have been watching the birds feeding on the ground this morning and then again this afternoon.  Nature is sooooo beautiful.   

Nov 20, 2010 01:28PM 3jaysmom wrote:

raj, i have certain plants that you actually have to plant in a butterfly garden. lets see, we have a "nectar source plant" that's the "food" they eat; here, its Pentas, or Milkweed, then, you have the "host plant" thats a passion vine here, i forget the long, latin name,, then h20 always fresh. the nectar sopurce are the most difficult to keep. in the summer, they "mow "them down. i plants 3xs as many of those. then, like now, when the passion vine isn't being eaten for the chrystallis, the caterpillar to a cocoon stage, then they bloom little purple flowers. quite pretty, and will last till spring, when a new crop of butterflies descend, and eat everything in sight. i also keep my roses, both climbing, and regular roses, and a lot of orchids, which grow here nicely.

this yr. we added a little cover for the dirt part of the garden; i have a tiled patio area that pots sit in, and a semi circle of dirt i plant.

we're trying to buy here, right now, we rent; so all new plants go in pots, till we find if new mtg. gets approved. if we move, they'll go in dirt. all the units here are the same, so the plans; the same.

this time of the year, i cover the screen gazebo with sheets at nite, it prevents browning from the cold. a lot of work, but well worth something i enjoy so much!!       have a great weekend RAJ, ad ladies..... 3jays

Dec 3, 2010 05:08PM karen4u wrote:

Not a lot of garden work been going on around Thanksgiving.  I have been raking the leaves to clean up my yard.  Trying to put up some outside Christmas decorations and while yet to get my interior up to speed.  We're having a few church parties here so I want it to look nice.  Got my granddauughter this week end and will be taking her to a Christmas ballett tomorrow evening so I think we will be decorating together in the morning.  So much fun.  She saw my candy canes and lights when we pulled in the drive this evening and was sooo excited.  Just brings a smile to my face that she loves it.  Grandchildren are such a BLESSING!!!     

Dec 3, 2010 11:49PM 3jaysmom wrote:

karen, welcome, we've not met.. i have a 3yr old GS that i refer to as "my beloved" its so great to have them this time of r. my GD thats' near here, also, his sister, isnt quite one yet, and gets mesmerized by the colered lights in the house. i can't wait to see her reaction to the trees this yr! they make it all worthwhile, and make you remember what this season is all about!!     3jays

Dec 10, 2010 04:58PM karen4u wrote:

Hello fellow gardners.....haven't been in my yard as of late, been in a medicine induced rut but hopefully am on the other side of that now.  My family will be coming for Christmas dinner tomorrow and I am looking forward to it immensely.  I have decorated 8 trees in my home.  In case you hadn't gathered......I love to decorate...inside and out.  And yes, the cooking has begun.  God Bless You Ladies.......Karen 

Dec 10, 2010 08:53PM 3jaysmom wrote:

karen, if you have a digital camera; post pics of the trees. would love to see it. for almost 3 yrs now, ive just had one tree. before, amny. actually, did 25 for a clubhouse we attended till 2007, when i was getting sick.Cancer was dx in 2008, tx 2009   did manage a fullsize tree last yr. am wondering if i'll get it up again this yr??notfeeling so good of late..                            my garden right now is covered with sheets. it's been cold for the last 4 days. tommorrow is suppossed to warm up, tho. i love being in so. fla., so i have some p;ants yr long...      good to hear ya.!     3jays

Dec 10, 2010 08:54PM 3jaysmom wrote:

this will have to do for now....3jays

Dec 10, 2010 08:55PM 3jaysmom wrote:

raj; this is how i imagine your tree.. is it like this one?     3jays

Dec 11, 2010 06:52AM - edited Aug 19, 2013 11:22PM by rajkumari

Yeah ! yeah! exactly the same.  But I feel so bad when they started falling one by one. This time  they came  in few only but I have to  take care of them as  without my care they wont live long. From where  you have collected this awesome pics. You know  last month  I threw  some  seeds of  chilly of  hottest  species. Now  they grows  about 6 " , I am planing to shift  few in the pot. I am not sure whether  they will grow properly  or not  as this species needs bigger space.

I was thrilled  to watch "Jimy at home" TV show. I am so impressed by his kitchen garden where he grows varities of vegetables, fruits ,chillies, peas, broad beans in a very small space. that is  really wonderful.

Dec 11, 2010 11:02AM 3jaysmom wrote:

all the pics came from photobucket at first. im now using google. Meece, and the beach site started me copying and pasting.. its' so much fun!! as far as i know, this is the only website (cancer) that allows it. im grateful. im so glad i got the right pic.. can you post em? i might be able to help; but Meece is the pro. i know she'll help you. as she has so many of us here.. the oranges just run their course. the next season, they should retun. finnd out what, and when you need to fertilize them... 3 jays

Dec 11, 2010 11:12AM - edited Dec 11, 2010 11:23AM by karen4u

This Post was deleted by karen4u.

Dec 11, 2010 11:25AM karen4u wrote:

Oooops, didn't mean to delete my post, just want to edit and add that I love your garden 3jays.  I have sent Meece a PM about the google photo upload so hopefully I can get some of my trees posted........Karen

Dec 11, 2010 11:41AM JanetinVirginia wrote:

So excited to happen to see this thread!  I love working in my garden.  And....there is actually a lot of research (Rutgers, Harvard etc.) about how flowers impact health!  If I was rich I'd have cut flowers in every room all year long!  Here is one excerpt/link:

A team of researchers explored the link between flowers and life satisfaction in a 10-month study of participants' behavioral and emotional responses to receiving flowers. The results show that flowers are a natural and healthful moderator of moods.

1. Flowers have an immediate impact on happiness. All study participants expressed "true" or "excited" smiles upon receiving flowers, demonstrating extraordinary delight and gratitude. This reaction was universal, occurring in all age groups.
  2. Flowers have a long-term positive effect on moods. Specifically, study participants reported feeling less depressed, anxious and agitated after receiving flowers, and demonstrated a higher sense of enjoyment and life satisfaction.
  3. Flowers make intimate connections. The presence of flowers led to increased contact with family and friends.

"Common sense tells us that flowers make us happy," said Dr. Haviland-Jones. "Now, science shows that not only do flowers make us happier than we know, they have strong positive effects on our emotional well being."

http://www.aboutflowers.com/health-benefits-a-research/emotional-impact-of-flowers-study.html

Dx 9/1/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 11, 2010 11:58AM - edited Dec 11, 2010 11:59AM by karen4u

This Post was deleted by karen4u.

Page 1 of 15 (422 results)