Join Us

We are 221,759 members in 83 forums discussing 162,137 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: why are the muslim ladies so quiet??

Forum: Prayers and Spiritual Support —

A safe place to find comfort in and share words of prayer, healing, and encouragement.

Posted on: Feb 17, 2011 05:48AM

rae786 wrote:

slmz to all the muslim sisters fighting bc... I was hoping to keep in touch with some muslim ladies to discuss our treatment plans, emotions and moving forward... do keep in touch. I feel we can support each other and understand each others concerns even better..

Dx 8/20/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)

Posts 1 - 25 (25 total)

Feb 27, 2011 09:54PM Efflorescing wrote:

Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakhatu,

I have not posted in awhile but I plan to be more active, insha Allaah, so please let us keep in touch. What treatment plan are you using? My dx was April 19, 2009 IDC 1.5 cm Stage 1, Grade 2, 3 Neg Nodes,  ER/PR+, Her2-.

I had a Lumpectomy, no chemo, no rads, no tamox and decided to use alternative methods. So far so good according to my latest Breast Therm in September, alhamdullilah.

How are you doing Sister and how is your family coping? Do you have support in your community?

Regarding your question "Why are the Muslim ladies so quiet?" I  have explored this and found a few reasons. Many cultural barriers also shame and  fear seems to be paralyzing  for some. With more awareness, education and trust in Allaah,  I know that we can be more open and supportive.

I will be posting more,  insha Allaah and I hope that more Sisters will do the same.

Eff~

"And We send down from the Quran that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe..." (Quran 17:82)

"And when I am ill, it is He who cures me" Ash-Shu'arâ' 26:80

Mar 1, 2011 01:56PM rae786 wrote:

Yip i definitely agree that we should keep in touch.  I was diagnosed in august 2010. did chemo, and mastectomy in january. now going on to rads.  I have been having a few anxiety issues but besides that i am alhamdulillah... With belief and turning towards Allah we will definitely be ok... If you dont mind me asking, where are you from? I am from South Africa.

Mar 4, 2011 02:31AM - edited Mar 4, 2011 02:32AM by Efflorescing

Assalamu alaiki,  

Sorry for the late response. I was visiting with a lovely group of women on another thread but unfortunately some didn't like the way the conversations were going and kept getting people banned. Hopefully the situation will be resolved or the deleters will mature, whichever comes first.

Moving on, I was born and raised in America, lived in Lebanon for 8 years, returned to the States and am I planning, praying and hoping to return to Lebanon as soon as possible. It's a beautiful country, life is simple at least for me, great family, delicious, healthy food. The only concern I have is regarding treatment for bc but while writing this post I looked up my old ob gyn online so I will send her a message and hopefully she will reply with encouraging news.

Ya, Sis, may Allaah make it easy on you, give you a quick and speedy recovery and make this a shifa'a for you on yaum al qiyamma, ameen.  I had a few panic attacks since my dx  and a really dark, dark day but, alhamdullilah I was able to get to a better place.

Please keep in touch Sis. I am planning to start posting more, recipes, resources, suggestions, etc... insha Allaah and please do the same.

Eff~

Rasulullah (pbuh) used to recite the following dua:

"O Allah, I seek refuge in You from the heart that does not have the fear (of Allah), from the dua that is not responded, from the nafs that is never satisfied, and from the knowledge that does not bring benefit."
Tirmizee, Daawat 69, (3478)

"And when I am ill, it is He who cures me" Ash-Shu'arâ' 26:80

Mar 7, 2011 11:57AM CherrylH wrote:

Hi Eff,

It's good to see a post from you. I'm sorry for the horrible way you were treated on the other thread. Ihope  you talk to us again soon, but I certainly understand if you don't want anything to do with us. Take care.

Mar 7, 2011 12:51PM rosemary-b wrote:

Hi Eff

I admire your courage and persistance.

Dx 2/25/2007, IDC, Stage I, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 7, 2011 12:52PM Enjoyful wrote:

I do as well, Eff. 

BENGHAZI! Dx 9/2004, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/28/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 7, 2011 12:53PM 1Athena1 wrote:

Hope you come back to "see" us soon, Eff!

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 7, 2011 12:55PM 208sandy wrote:

Me too, Eff.

Mar 10, 2011 03:35AM sumaiamhmd wrote:

السلام عليكم اخواتى       انا سمية سودانية مقيمة فى الامارات    بما انكن مسلمات  اتوقع ان يكون لبعضكن معرفة باللغة العربية وبالتالى يمكن للاخوات اللاتى يجدن صعوبة فى التواصل باللغة الانجليزية المشاركة والاستفادة من المشاركات الاخرى فمريضات السرطان لسن فقط فى امريكا      ارجو الاستجابة ولكن الحب والدعاء

sumaia Dx 5/25/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, 5/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 13, 2011 03:28AM rae786 wrote:

ASSALAMUALAIKUM.   I amdone with treatment. GYN now wants to assess thickened endometriuM... one thing after another? how are all my muslim sisters doing... EFF, what did ur doc say about moving to leBanon?? remember me in ur duas and mAy ALLAH grant you only the best in this World And in the aakhira!! INSHALLAH, AMEEN!!! 

Jun 10, 2011 11:16PM Snoopy73 wrote:

Hi ladies, Asalaam Alaykum! I am a muslim sister who was recently diagnosed with BC at 37 yrs, I have 2 small kids aged 4.5 & almost 3 so you can imagine my emotions when i was diagnosed. I have no family history of BC. I had a lumpectomy on 5/24 and scheuled to start 4-6 cycles of TC chemo in July then rads then Tamoxifen. I am glad I found you sisters and I ahope we can be able to support eachother. Can someone please send me PM dua's to read during this difficult time? I do my prayers and some duas but I wont mind to get soem more.  BTW, anyone here from the New England area?

Thank You. 

Completed 4 rounds of chemo T/C; completed 6 weeks of Rads!! now onto Tamoxifen!!! Oh God keep on watching over me and give me strenght & courage...There surely is light at the end of the tunnel!! Dx 4/27/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 26, 2011 01:17PM Ruby786 wrote:

@snoopy 73
Slmz I have also been diagnosed with BC and I find a lot of peace and consolation in duas and reading quraan! Send me your email address and I will be happy to scan and email you all the duas I have received.

Jun 26, 2011 03:59PM rae786 wrote:

Hey Ruby786! One more chemo to go! U are an amazingly strong woman, may Almighty bless you abundantly! Snoopy you are in my duas, if u need advice, support or anything else feel free to come here. My kiddies are young too, my son is 8 and daughter 3, I know exactly wat u going thru. Always remember that Allah is great and he has chosen us from amongst millions and blessed us with bc, he has given us a second chance to live our lives the way it shud b lived. We are truly blessed!

Jul 12, 2011 01:25PM Snoopy73 wrote:

Hello ladies, I am sorry for being quiet but last week was a very hard week for me and my family; I had my port inserted on weds 7/6 and started chemo on thurs 7/7. I thank Allah my very good friend came all the way from Ohio to be with me on my first infusion, alhamdulillah, she was a Godsend! May the almighty continue to bless her. Today is day 6 and so far so good; the days are good (i am actually at work) the evenings are abit tough that i feel achy and tired and jsut want to layt down.

IS anyone in this group from the new england area? I live in MA and would love to connect to some of you sisters if you are in my neck of the woods.

Thanks & have a blessed afternoon

Completed 4 rounds of chemo T/C; completed 6 weeks of Rads!! now onto Tamoxifen!!! Oh God keep on watching over me and give me strenght & courage...There surely is light at the end of the tunnel!! Dx 4/27/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 11, 2011 02:09AM Dingomama wrote:

Salam everyone,

Great to stumble upon this link. Being a muslim, I've felt a little isolated since my diagnosis. Im 40, 2 small kids 6 & 4. Had a double mast a month ago. Allah blessed me and lymph nodes were clear, so no chemo, but have to be on tamoxifen. Anyone here had experience with tamox?

Snoopy73, I moved from boston 3 years ago to houston, hope you connect with others in the area. I wish i could connect with other muslims in this situation here too. Thanks.

Dx 10/14/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 12, 2011 02:45PM Snoopy73 wrote:

Hello Dingomama - I am sorry for joining this journey:-( this board is not very active, not sure why:-( I finished my chemo in Sept and did radaition adn finished in Nov. I am on Tamoxifen, jsut started on 12/1. Unfortunately, I have not connected with any muslims ladies in the Boston area who are going through/went through BC.

Dec 23, 2011 01:06AM Dingomama wrote:

Thanks Snoopy73. Its unfortunate that muslim ladies are not very open, maybe because of cultural taboos asssociated with talking about breast cancer? How is Tamoxifen working out for you? I'm supposed to start on it, but am apprehensive about the side effects. Right now 5 weeks into a BMX with reconstruction, and starting to feel a lilttle better.

Dec 28, 2011 12:20PM Snoopy73 wrote:

Hello Dingomama - yes, its very unfortunate that muslim ladies are not open, I wish we could be more open and help eachother while going through this journey. Tamoxifen is pkay so far, apart from the hot flashes (which i had after chemo) i dont feel any other SEs. Glad you are feeling better.

Dec 28, 2011 12:33PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Salaam my friends,
I am not Muslim but lived in a Muslim country for two years after college. I agree that cultural taboos play a part in why there is not a more open discussion of bc in the Islamic community but it is only within the last 30 years or so, in my opinion, that we have become much more open to talking about it in general. My grandmother passed away from bc in the mid 60's and it was very hush hush. When asking my father for details he was very unclear because although he was an adult at the time, they really didn't talk about it. So, you are the trailblazers, dear sisters. Keep it up and , inshallah, this serious issue will become more open in your community.
Caryn

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 31, 2011 01:37AM Dingomama wrote:

Welcome Exbrnxgrl,
I agree, BC has had taboos associated with it across cultures, and perhaps the Islamic community will become more open to discussion once more of us are open to sharing our experiences. I for one have found it highly theraputic to talk about it to the people In my life and that has made it easier for them to handle it as well.
Snoopy73, Its great u dont have anynother side effects. Are the hot flashes tolerable?I figure we all have to ultimately go through the hot flashes one day. I finally filled my prescription of Tamox, and will Insallah start taking it in a week. Hoping and praying for the best.

Jan 13, 2012 03:21PM Snoopy73 wrote:

Hello Dingomama, sorry for the late response... I have not been online since before the holidays, i had family around, then they left and i had the cold and was in bed for a few days:-( anyway, i am well and back on my feet (kind of:-) this is my 2nd motnh on tamoxifen, and so far i cant see any SEs. All the best to you!!

Jan 15, 2012 10:02PM ConfusedZee wrote:

Hello my Muslim Sisters! I have not been diagnosed and have questions. I have a lump on my left breast and have been through two doctors that say it's fibroadema. My latest doc has scheduled
me to see a breast surgeon on the 24th. My question is if it's fibroadema why do I have pain in my armpit and confirmed swollen lymph nodes. I had 2 mammos and 2 ultrasounds that couldn't see anything. I am 31 with two kids; 11 and 6. My second question is what were your underlying symptoms and tests before diagnoses. I hoping its b9, but my gut says its more. Any info is helpful! Sending my love and prayers to all you strong women! May Allah bless you all!

May 16, 2012 05:30PM UmmFaisal wrote:

Salam ConfusedZee

I am not muslim but my husband and children are. How did your appointment go? i pray you got good news and things are fine. From my experience mammo and ultrasound can give false results and I would opt for a PET CT scan which I have found to be a much more accurate diagnostic tool.

Stay strong and take comfort from your faith

Umm Faisal

Jun 16, 2012 06:57PM msmatanzas wrote:

This is a choice. i am a muslim who is a nurse practioner and would have never come here had i known that some people would deny me my right to forego treatment. i 

Oct 1, 2012 06:57PM rae786 wrote:

Slms all. 1 yr afrt completing breast cancer treatment, I am healing insydNd outsyd. For ladies who do not want to do treatment, what is holding u bak

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)