We are 161,476 members in 81 forums discussing 127,260 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: Creepy crawlers in my breast

Topic: Creepy crawlers in my breast

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Aug 12, 2011 10:59AM

DeeCee wrote:

I have had a double mascetomy even though only one breast was diagnosed  a tumor and affected lymph nodes.  Since then I have had exchange, nipple surgery and awaiting the tattooing or whatever comes next.  I am writing this post because sometimes I feel like something is crawling inside my breast.  I guess an itching feeling.  Is this normal? I have the misfortune of having scar tissue in both breast which causes a lot of tightness.  I exercise often to try to relieve the tightness.  It has been a year and still haven't adjusted.  Should I be concerned??

Dx 12/29/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Aug 12, 2011 11:05AM dogsandjogs wrote:

After my mastectomy in 1982 I had the sensation of ants crawling inside for several years. But---it didn't happen all the time and gradually the sensation stopped completely. I was running 45 miles a week at a time which I think really helped. I also had a sensation of someone pouring water inside the area. That didn't bother me, just felt weird.

To this day I have numbness in my armpit and down the side - but you get used to that also. This is probably due to the removal of 17 lymph nodes.  No sentinel node biopsy back in those days!

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Mastectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Left

Aug 12, 2011 11:08AM dogsandjogs wrote:

Forgot to add, I also have numbness down the inside of the arm to the elbow. The surgeon told me the numbness would go away within 2 years. (He lied, obviously!)

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Mastectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Left

Aug 12, 2011 11:58AM DeeCee wrote:

thanks for the quick response.   Its good to know I not alone with this.   I was afraid to ask thinking maybe something is wrong.   Smile you are right some days nothing.  I am just one year in to my implants so now I wont worry so much.  
Dx 12/29/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 12, 2011 12:37PM Letlet wrote:

Dee, I woke up the other day in the middle of the night because my boob was itchy, of course i scratched it and didn't feel anything (of course!) . ANyway it drove me insane because it itched and itched and i tried to scratch where it itched but my skin is numb there...same thing in my armpit...

Dx 8/27/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 6/23 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2+

Aug 12, 2011 12:50PM Brishall wrote:

It has been a year since my mastectomy (DIEP reconstruction), and I get the itchy feeling also and scratch and don't feel anything!  I also get random shooting pains. 

Dx 5/1/2009, DCIS, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes

Aug 13, 2011 02:15PM 2Xsenough wrote:

Yep, me too. Add me to the list of itchy ladies with frustratingly numb skin so that the itch can never be relieved. Also the shooting pains which I always hope are nerves regenerating. I'm two years post implant exchange and some feeling has returned, especially on the non rad side.  On the prophy side, I get the weird sensation of touching the side of my foob and feeling it in my back!?!

After my first go-round with BC, and node disection, all the feeling returned after about ten years. Now I can only hope....

Aug 13, 2011 02:57PM BrandyB wrote:

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh, hate itchy numb skin!!!!!!! Just sayin'

Aug 13, 2011 03:26PM 1Athena1 wrote:

I don't exactly feel itchiness, but I would say I feel tiny points of "instability." At times, I have worried that it could be a prelude to pain from mets. However, I do a lot of exercise, including Power Yoga ("downward-facing dog") and weights, so I'm sure my implants and tissue-less breast don't always appreciate my efforts on behalf of the rest of my body. :)

It's good to hear that others are feeliong these things. As long as it's not mets, I will put up with wierd sensations. 

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 13, 2011 04:05PM sschmidt wrote:

I feel like worms/ants are crawling under/inside my boob where I had radiation.  I have a unique combo of possible reason.

1.  I had breast reduction in 2000 and my skin's nerves were just coming back when

2, I had one biopsy then another bigger lumpectomy and then

3.  I had an  auxiliary dissection.

So the ants/worms are nerves coming back....that is what I tell myself.  I only feel them at night when i am trying to go to sleep and I lay on the BC left side.  It did not start happening for at least 3 years after the radiation.

Very weird sensation indeed,

Shirley

Dx 2/10/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 13, 2011 04:41PM cinnamonsmiles wrote:

I had a double mastectomy with node dissection, and I had the feeling of worms moving in my tissue lol!!! It is and was the nerves communicating the wrong things to the brain!! This one I can laugh at, not the rest of it though...

Mastectomy without reconstruction was NOT the worst or only available option. I chose it and am happy with my decision.

Aug 14, 2011 08:33AM kriserts wrote:

yeah, I get this. I think of it like a crinkling feeling. I hate my implant and this is one of the things that bothers me (including continual pain). Thanks for posting, I didn't realize other people felt this.

Aug 14, 2011 08:38AM christina1961 wrote:

I am just about a month from uni MX and I get the itching feeling - what seems to help is to stretch the area by doing some of the post MX exercises - I think what is causing mine is healing and scar tissue.  When I stretch it, it pulls the area and relieves the itch.

Dx 2/5/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/16 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 14, 2011 08:48AM Lucky9 wrote:

I had an implant after total mastectomy to my left breast, last June (2010) some time after, I now remember being driven mad by itching - then forgot all about it when it stopped. 

The healing has been great, but these past two weeks, I've been having annoying sensations again. (I suddenly remembered how it was earlier).  It's good to know it's not just me - and that it's not a life-threatening situation again.

At first, I thought it was because I'd been wearing my heavy bag strap across my chest??  I realise now it will stop when its ready - and I won't even remember it just like last time. 

All in all - it's much better than having a gross 'zip' type scar on a flat chest like the surgeon showed me in his portfolio!!!

Aug 15, 2011 08:06AM PB22 wrote:

I am over a year out and still have the annoying itch that you cannot get to and also a bubbling feeling.  It comes and goes.  I attribute it to nerves regenerating.

Skin sparing, nipple sparing bmx Dec, Onco score 15. "Your only as young as your implants". Dx 10/21/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-