We are 161,328 members in 81 forums discussing 127,177 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: implants and a breast lift after a lumpectomy

Topic: implants and a breast lift after a lumpectomy

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Aug 18, 2011 08:18PM

katehudson25 wrote:

Hi,

I had two lumpectomies, and one breast is now smaller than the other. I went to a plastic surgeon today. She suggested implants for both breasts and breast lifts. I am a B, and the implants will make me a c cup. Has any one done this after a lumpectomy? What are the risks? Are you having success? Did you do this before or after radiation? My plastic surgeon said we should do the surgery 1 month after the radiation is completed. I am starting radiation next week. I would love to hear from women in similar circumstances.

Dx 7/14/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 20, 2011 02:51PM Puccini wrote:

I had a lumpectomy but my doctor removed a rather large chunk so before the surgery he suggested if he can put a silicon implant in there if he doesnt have enough breast tissue to fill the space emptied. I am a B cup too so didnt have enough breast naturally. He reconstructed my breast as he removed the lump. I had chemo and 32 rounds of radiation with that implant in my breast. The radiation oncologist was rather careful with the implant but from what I understand having the implant doesnt lessen the effects of the radiation or prevent anything. It is a rather common procedure here in my country Turkey. I havent had any discomfort or hardship. It is said that the shape of your breast changes a little, which it does but nothing that bothers me or looks awkward. I heard that it might get smaller or larger just a bit because the implant changes with the radiation effect but again I havent had that much of a difference that I can complain. I know several other women who have implants and had radiation. I am not a doctor but I think your skin and the tissues need to heal fully before they can operate. It has been 2 months since I finished my radi and I still feel the inside of my breast hasnt recovered well.

Dx 10/15/2010, DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Aug 20, 2011 02:56PM katehudson25 wrote:

Hi Puccini,

Thank you so much for letting me know about your situation. I went to see my radiation oncologist yesterday, and he said we may have to wait toll 3 months after my radiation tratments to get implants with a lift. Be well!

Dx 7/14/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-