We are 160,202 members in 80 forums discussing 126,438 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: skin sparing without expanders

Topic: skin sparing without expanders

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Apr 4, 2012 05:12AM

lbrewer wrote:

I am set to have a skin sparing mastectomy soon but the have to wait unitl chemo and rads for SGAP reconstruction.  One PS says to put it TE.  One says its not necessary.  I don't konw where to turn.  Has anyone had a Skin sparing but did nothing?  I don't know how to face this decision!

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Apr 4, 2012 04:18PM DocBabs wrote:

I would say go for the TEs. They will give you a near normal "look" while you take care of all your treatments. It was a very comforting feeling to wake up from my BMX and still have what looked like breasts. Granted they were much smaller than my own but I also kind of got used to and liked having smaller breasts. I wore cammis all summer with no bra!!

DocBabs Dx 4/28/2011, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/12/2011 Mastectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/12/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Right Hormonal Therapy 7/14/2011 Aromasin (exemestane)

Apr 5, 2012 08:23PM Raelan wrote:

I just had a skin sparing BMX without TEs. Both my BS and PS are strong proponents of letting your body heal from the initial surgery before starting reconstruction. Assuming I don't need chemo (waiting for oncotypeDX score) I'll get my TEs in in about 6 weeks. My PS indicated there is no problem with waiting and the risk of complications decreases significantly.

Dx 3/10/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/3/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 5/3/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/7/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 10/7/2012 Surgery 3/20/2014 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 10/12/2014 Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 2/9/2015 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Jun 2, 2012 10:05PM Ami1026 wrote:

My PS won't put the TEs in at time of mastectomy for the same reason - wants the skin to recover and give the TEs the best possible chance to succeed.  While I'm really disappointed I truly appreciate his committment to what we both feel is my best recon option.  He has said he'll put the TEs in a week or 2 after mastectomy, I guess just a little recovery time for the skin/blood supply makes a big difference.  So, I feel your frustration, but in the big picture it is not as bad as it sounds and may actually improve your ability to tolerate the TEs/etc.  I hope things work out for you!

Dx 5/17/2012, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 6/10/2012 Mastectomy: Right Surgery 7/11/2012 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Reconstruction (left)

Jun 3, 2012 04:51AM Galsal wrote:

Had skin-sparing bmx and was not permitted to have immediate reconstruction on the likelihood that rads and chemo would be needed.  Although I planned on having a Tram, nothing was put in temporarily because of the assumed probability that rads would be needed.  Just my experience.

Dx 12/14/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/9/2012 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/12/2012 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/15/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)