Join Us

We are 218,706 members in 84 forums discussing 161,183 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: implant masage

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jun 6, 2007 09:24PM

Patye51 wrote:

Did your ps tell you to masage the implant? What does this do?

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Jun 6, 2007 10:59PM karen1956 wrote:

Patye51 - yes, my PS told me to massage the implants. If I remember correctly, its too prevent capsular (can't remember the whole name). I was told to massage three times/week - up/down, clockwise and counterclockwise - 10 times each direction. Also rad onc told me I needed to massage the radiated side every day forever (and that was when I still had the expanders).

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Jun 6, 2007 11:42PM twinbubbas wrote:

How soon after the exchange were you told to do the massage, Karen?

Dx 8/14/2006, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-

Jun 7, 2007 06:19AM LiveForToday wrote:

Obviously all docs are different in their approach! I asked that question and my ps said "we don't do massage"!
You might want to research that a bit...

huggs, Sherry
I will stand my ground...and I won't back down

Jun 7, 2007 07:40AM floss wrote:

When I had saline expanders in(these were permenant and were not going to be replaced by implants I was told not to massaage but when I had my Becker Silicone/saline expanders put in. Several weeks after my surgery my PS told me that I would have to massage each night whilst i have my shower for the rest of my life. I tny to massage a couple of tiems a day if and when they get alittle tight. Alittle baby lotion seems to kep the skim supple. Best Floss ps I have had soem funny looks when i start massaging in my car..........

Jun 7, 2007 10:13AM slanderson wrote:

Mine said to move the implant twice a day, FOREVER and encapsulation can happen at any time, although it is most common up to 6 months. That is his standard order to anyone who gets implants. Mine are silicone, so I don't know if its the same for saline.

Shannon
Shannon Dx 7/13/2005, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jun 7, 2007 07:22PM karen1956 wrote:

2bubbas - At the one month post op visit. I haven't been too good about doing it since I know that I am having more surgery on the radiated side. Talked to the PS today and he wants to do it the middle of next month.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Jun 7, 2007 07:36PM rubytuesday wrote:

You can only massage if you have smooth implants. I do it at least once a day, especially first thing in the morning. It really does help to soften up your muscle. Laying on them helps too.
Proud member of the TaTa Sisterhood! :)

Jun 8, 2007 08:54PM Chattypatti wrote:

I asked my ps about massage since I read so much about it here. He said it wasn't at all necessary. That was almost a year ago and everything is fine. He did mention not to be afraid to lay on them. I guess every ps has their own preference.
Patti

Jun 10, 2007 08:35PM melanie48 wrote:

it's 1 year for me 2nd set of implants silicone smooth...still tight but when I massage them I feel so much better I massage in shower and when I think about it...

Jun 14, 2007 05:39PM LynnW wrote:

My doc didn't tell me either way. Just said after rads it would likely get worse and we would have to put smaller ones in someday. I have been massaging daily for a year. My left side is ok...my right has alway been firmer as there was very little of my own tissue left and alot of skin taken. So its a tighter fit. Its instinct for me to massage. It helps loosen the muscle,,,, increase the blood flow. Maybe I'm making it worse,, but if its going to get worse anyway at least I did what my body told me to do.

Lynn Dx 2/9/2005, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 13/29 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2007 06:48PM beth1225 wrote:

I just had the last drain removed and the ps said the infection seems to be almost gone. So now I need to massage the saline implants twice a day. I am using lotion (read that above just now).

Did it hurt at first? I feel a tightness across my chest like at the top of the bra line, near the cleavage. How long each time is enough? Is this forever? I see the ps in 2 weeks for another checkup. I really didn't think to ask these things while i was there.

Sleeping on my tummy? I am almost scared to. It is still uncomfortable on my side. I will give it a try later in the week and see how it goes.
Love and hugs, Beth "Without Humor, life is a walk, not a joyride." PBM 5/7/2007 www.youravon.com/bethcohen www.freewebs.com/larryandbeth is our family website, please visit me! Dx 1/3/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, 0/6 nodes, ER+

Jul 4, 2007 06:54PM rubytuesday wrote:

Beth, Did your PS show you how to massage?? Mine wanted me to cross my arms across my chest and push the implants toward the middle....like you are making cleavage. I did that in the shower 10 times and held each 'squeeze' for a count of ten. Doing it in the shower makes it easier at first. I always do mine in the morning on my way to the bathroom. It feels good to do it first thing in the morning. Sleeping on them or at least laying on them for awhile also helps to loosen up your muscle and makes them feel softer. Best wishes!
P.S. congrats on getting your drain out and beating back that infection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Proud member of the TaTa Sisterhood! :)

Jul 5, 2007 11:00AM MinAZ wrote:

I just came back from my second fill, and I asked my PS about massage. He put silicon in the 'good' side when he put the expander in the other (so easier to balance them later). He said there is no consensus on whether or not massage is necessary, but he suggested that I should kind of push the silicon up a bit (like toward my chin) once in a while.

Dx 10/15/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)