Join Us

We are 218,706 members in 84 forums discussing 161,183 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: SNB area pain-UpdateCapsular contraction

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jun 28, 2007 09:48AM

NaomiS wrote:

I have a question, and it isn�t necessarily a reconstruction question, but a lot of you may have gone through the same surgery I did. I had bilateral mast with SNB and expanders. My initial surgery was 18 months ago and my exchange surgery was 14 months ago. My dx was multifocal DCIS with microinvasion, high grade, triple negative. I went to my BS every 3 months for a follow-up for the first year, and I�m now on 6 month intervals.
The problem is I have a sore spot in my underarm area on my SNB side. It isn�t overly painful, but I notice it when I bathe or apply antiperspirant. I don�t feel a lump, but it�s been bugging me for more than a week. I go to the gym 5 mornings a week and I was wondering if I did something to it while using the weight machines. It�s not like I�m pumping serious iron, just some light stuff.
So, my canceritis is kicking in. My BS has fit me in on Monday. Have any of you had a similar situation with pain in that area this long after surgery?
You now, before BC I always assumed the best possible outcome. Even though I was told I have a great prognosis and very low risk of recurrence, I still have my worrywart moments and this is one of them.
Thanks,
Naomi Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jun 28, 2007 12:04PM iodine wrote:

Haven't had it, but know how you feel. It could be anything, as you know. We'll keep our fingers crossed that it's an ingrown hair or just a swollen lymph node from something small like an unknown infection, maybe.
Please let us know what you find out, ok?
Dotti---BE NOT AFRAID, Pope John Paul

Jun 28, 2007 07:17PM NaomiS wrote:

Thanks Dotti,
I'm going to try my best this weekend NOT to obsess.

Naomi

Jun 29, 2007 05:51AM momto4girls wrote:

I had the same thing back in March. I am 2 years out from mast. BS said it was scar tissue. Swelling underarm was from too much physical activity with that arm. Slowed down on the use of the arm, took Aleve for pain and inflamation, and was good as new 2 weeks later.

Jun 29, 2007 10:10AM NaomiS wrote:

I knew someone would come along that had something similar! That helps with the anxiety level.
Thanks momto4.

Jul 2, 2007 03:02PM NaomiS wrote:

It's the old "good news, bad news." I was so happy that it wasn't a node problem, but very unhappy when my BS said to see my PS because I have capsular contraction. Have any of you had this and been able to successfully treat it without further surgery?

Jul 2, 2007 09:25PM iodine wrote:

I had it with my first expander and he tried to fix it when we did the exchange. Problem was it didn't allow the expander to do it's job, so I was not expanded and was so small that he made the other boob small to match (grrrrr!)
I do not believe it can be treated without surgery to open it up-- they section it kinda like an orange.
Dotti---BE NOT AFRAID, Pope John Paul

Jul 3, 2007 06:35PM rubytuesday wrote:

Naomis, Depending on how advanced it is, sometimes they recommend asthma meds like Accolate or Singulair. I have also read on the augment boards of women rolling on their breasts on the floor from side to side (as per their PS's directions). Tell your PS you want to try non-surgical things first (if that is what you want to do...and personally, I would). Best wishes!

Proud member of the TaTa Sisterhood! :)

Jul 3, 2007 08:05PM NaomiS wrote:

Dotti, You have a way with words . I had a very vivid mental picture. No wonder you were angry. As if cancer isn't bad enough, then there is all the other crap to deal with.
Rubytuesday, if rolling on the floor will help, I will do it and endure the odd looks from my kids!
I have an appt with my PS in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for your answers. Have a great 4th.

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)