Join Us

We are 218,705 members in 84 forums discussing 161,183 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Need a plastic surgeon (DE, Philly, Balt, Trenton)

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jun 30, 2007 07:53AM

Venita wrote:

I am in Wilmington Delaware. My reconstruction was unsuccessful, amd I am now the "proud" owner of a misplaced silicone implant on the left side and a massive amount of scar tissue adhered to my chest wall on the right side. (Extensive scar tissue due to 4 surgeries.) The attempt to put an implant into the right side failed because of infection and radiation-damaged tissue.

I am looked for a new reconstructive surgeon. A good one who is willing and able to clean up someone elses's mess. I am willing to travel to Philadephia, Tenton NJ, as far as Baltimore for someone who can clean this up.

As far as I am concerned, flaps are not an option. Therefore, I believe I need someone who can remove the left implant and minimize the scar tissue on the right side.

I appreciate any recommendations (or warnings) you may have. You can PM me if you prefer. Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jun 30, 2007 08:35AM nancysmile wrote:

you should contact my ps in new york (long island). he's rated #1 in the country. Lyle Leipziger - 516-465-8787l I had radiated breast in 2000 - had recur last aug., did double - just had silicone put in 2 weeks ago. He's very attentive - wonderful........good luck.

Jun 30, 2007 07:00PM Jennifer wrote:

I was in a simlar position a few years ago. I found a great PS in Baltimore, MD, Dr. Bernard Chang at Mercy Medical Center. Check his website I listed below to learn more about him and for contact information. I can tell you is a perfectionist and is not happy until you are happy. He is well known for DIEP and performs other types of reconstruction as well. He also has a reputation for "fixing" problems that occur from reconstruction attempts. I do have to let you know scheduling is tricky because he is in high demand, but the wait is well worth it.
Jennifer

http://www.mdmercy.com/PlasticSurgery/expertise/index.html

Jul 1, 2007 07:50AM mellen1226 wrote:

I will 2nd Dr. Chang at Mercy in Baltimore and for that matter the whole Breast Cancer team at the Hoffberger Women's Center at Mercy!

Jul 1, 2007 12:48PM - edited Mar 11, 2008 11:35AM by BethNY

I will third Dr chang in that area-- but there are others-- nahabedian in DC area...
What insurance do you have?
Be your own hero

Jul 1, 2007 03:14PM beth1225 wrote:

Venita, the ps I use here in the Philly area is wonderful. The breast surgeon said that any other plastic surgeon might have let both implants get infected and instead, my Dr. B persevered and successfully saved them both. He said my case has been very uncommon but he is also well-versed in wound treatment and infections. We all know it is a big chance you take with going under the knife.

I cannot say enough my doctor. I owe him my life because the one infection could have killed me if he had not acted as quick as he did.

You can look him up on his website, www.phillyplasticsurgery.com. His whole staff makes you at ease and he has the very best bedside manner of any doctor I have encountered. Just tell him Beth sent ya! I am still there every week and we have many months worth of tweeking left to do.

Good luck in whatever choice you make and remember we are all here for you 110%!
Love and hugs, Beth "Without Humor, life is a walk, not a joyride." PBM 5/7/2007 www.youravon.com/bethcohen www.freewebs.com/larryandbeth is our family website, please visit me! Dx 1/3/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, 0/6 nodes, ER+

Jul 2, 2007 03:34PM Venita wrote:

I will take more to consider if others have more.

BethNY. My insurance is Tricare Standard (retired military insurance).

Jul 2, 2007 05:43PM summersage wrote:

Hi Venita,
I used Bucks County Plastic Surgery Center in Lanhorne, PA. They come highly recommended and I have had great success since my surgery. I am very pleased with my results. Best wishes with whomever you choose. Take your time and investigate each one.

Jul 3, 2007 01:47PM lynn717 wrote:

Hi Venita When Hurricane Katrina chjanged my plans of free flap reconstruction in NOLA I searched hard for another plastics guy who would do an excellent job I interviewed patients and nurses and decided on Dr David Singer who was in Norfolk, Virginia at the time. I had already had a mastectomy so had the time to do the research. I am 1000% pleased!! And as a RN I am a tough customer. He is a great surgeon and I spent thousands to go out of network to have surgery by him

Now he has moved to Exton PA (outside of Philly and is IN NETWORK for me. I hope I don't need him again though.)
I did send the sister of my billing staff member there and she had not only had a bilateral mastectomy for triple negative (age 40) but had a history of two c-sections and had had a gastric bypass. She had double free flap by Dr Singer with fantastic results!

Office is at 460 Creamery Way Exton Ph: 610-524-8244

Jul 3, 2007 06:59PM Jennifer wrote:

I know I already replied but I just wanted to add that it is so nice to be able to see everyone post about their experiences with such skilled and caring doctors. I just hope each and every person who ever has to go through this finds a doctor like those who have been posted.
Jennifer

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)