Join Us

We are 218,706 members in 84 forums discussing 161,183 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Swelling and bra before nipples are made...

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jul 1, 2007 05:38AM

Jenny812 wrote:

Is there a special bra you all wear after reconstruction but before nipples? I'm almost 3 weeks past double mast. with DIEP, I haven't worn a bra - just loose teashirts. But you can see the flat areas where the nipples were. Since I have to be like this for at least 3 months, I don't feel like I need a bra for support, but I would like some fill-out where the nipples were. Suggestions? Also, my breasts are still so swollen - especially at the sides. I know it can take a long time to go down, but how long did it take for the major swelling to reduce?
Jenny J. Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jul 1, 2007 11:11AM klwinsa wrote:

I'm six weeks out with same DIEP, I've just starting wearing a bra to help shape my new girls. My ps says that you still need support, and that since they reconstructed breasts remain swollen and out of shape it is important to get into a bra with a cup.

I have found that it is not really comfortable, but plugging along. I'd like to hear how long it takes for the breasts to soften up, mine are still hard in places.

Good luck! Just think how you felt last week, it gets much better.

Kim

Jul 1, 2007 01:06PM gracejon wrote:

I wore the hook in the front stretchy bras for a long time. My first stage anniversary (one year) was this past Easter. My new right breast is soft but my right one is still pretty hard and at this point will probably remain so. I did have Victoria Secret breast enhancers if I felt the need for nipples but rarely used them post DIEP. I did use them prior to DIEP for failed and then reinserted expanders.

Jul 7, 2007 08:47PM VLJ wrote:

One of the woman at the Womans Center told me about Victoria Secrets IPEX bra. I bought a couple and have to agree, they fit nice without nip or with nip. I had a LF DIEP in March and nip done in May, and bra fits pretty good. I usually don't spend that much on bras, but wanted to get something that fit good and made me feel good. Good luck!

Jul 8, 2007 06:17AM MaryGirl wrote:

After my bilat diep I think it was about 3-4 months before the swelling went down enough that I could fit into one of my pre-surgical bras. But I continued to have cyclical swelling (lymphedema?) throughout the day, so have mostly stuck with stretchy bras to give me a little compression and hopefully keep that under control. As the months have gone by, I've become less concerned about that "lopped-off" look showing through my clothes.

I looked at the IPEX non-underwire bras, but in the end opted to buy a similar model from JC Penney from their new Ambrielle line. It's got a molded cup, is made of cotton, and is comfortable while adding shape.

But overall, nothing's as comfortable as my old breasts. No matter which bra I wear, at the end of the day I can't wait to get it off. For me these days, the most comfort I can get is lying on my back (no gravity pulling on my breasts) wearing a loose, soft t-shirt. My docs keep assuring me it will be okay in the end, but at 9+ months post-stage 1 surgery I'm getting worried.

Mary
dx 8/06, bilat mast w/DIEP 9/06

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)