Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How much do tissue expanders weigh?

Options
digger
digger Member Posts: 74
edited December 2019 in Breast Reconstruction

Okay, another one of my rather inane questions...I'm filled to 360cc in my one tissue expander.  Does anyone know how much this darn thing weighs?  I seem to be a bit heavier than usual (was weighed at a doc's appointment last week and surprised I weighed that much, because I'm in my smallest size pants).  I should be able to figure this out myself, but I can't, and I'm wondering if it's the extra fluid I've got in my "foob."  Then again, it could be because I was about to get my period...and I know, all of this should be the least of my worries....

Comments

• ehall
    ehall Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2009
    Options

Lots :-)! Here's what my ps said to me...there are about 250 ccs in coke can...add that to weight of the expander shell---and you should be able to estimate.  I will tell you based on my experience--the implants are incredibably lighter!  Hope this helps--Erin

• sherry64
    sherry64 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was wondering the same thing.  I'm at 400cc each side and am not getting on the scale anymore because I know they must be adding a few pounds.  I know it's not really a big deal but it doesn't make me feel any better about things to see the scale inching up. I'm eating well and exercising daily, so as long as my pants are fitting I'll be happy. 

Sherry 

• Believe1
    Believe1 Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2009
    Options

Sherry, you said your exercising daily with expanders that have 400cc in each? I just received mine last Friday after my bi-lateral mass. and can not imagine exercising.  How long have you had your expanders in?  How big are you aiming for?  How big is 400cc ( right now?)  Arent you worried you might pull something out of place or something?  I want to be normal, just dont know how right now.

• sherry64
    sherry64 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi, Believe.  I am almost 3 months post bilateral mast with TEs.  I didn't start getting fills until three weeks ago due to problems with one of my incisions.  I had 150cc at time of surgery, 150cc three weeks ago and an additional 100cc two days ago.  My PS says we're probably shooting for at least 600cc to 700cc based on my chest width, body type, etc.  I'm 44 y/o, 5'6", 135lbs and med/large boned.  I'm happy with my size now  (about a C cup) but I know they overfill.  I'll start talking size with him when I go back in three weeks.  I don't have any problems exercising at this point but I don't run on the treadmill.  I do walk really, really fast at a steep incline though.  I try and go every morning for one hour.  I did some weights earlier this week.  If something feels weird then I stop.

Normal is different for each person and you can't compare yourself  to anyone else.  At one week post op I wasn't sleeping well and was uncomfortable with sensitive skin on my upper chest and under my arms.  But I never had much pain and never needed to take any pain meds other than Advil.  I took it easy for several weeks then gradually started doing more and more depending on how I felt.  Early on I also felt a little depressed but as I healed and became more active, that passed.  I have friends who said they couldn't do much at all in terms of exercise while they had TEs.  On the other hand, I don't have a lot of discomfort so exercising isn't a problem for me.  But it's only been a few weeks since I could comfortably grate cheese or open a tight jar. Everyone is different.  I just listen to my body and do what it says.  That's my normal.  This early post op, your normal will change everyday.  My advice is to rest a lot right now, eat well and slowly increase your activity as you feel up to it.  You have to give yourself time to heal and recover.  You will feel better each week.

Sherry

• TheQu33n
    TheQu33n Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Digger, if I did the conversion correctly (for water), it's .8 lbs or 12.69oz. Wish I hadn't done this Cry
  • digger
    digger Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2009
    Options

Yep, sorry about even bringing up the idea of added weight due to TEs...it does sound so trivial, but I admit I worry because I haven't been as active as usual.  I just have to take a deep breath and go with the flow. 

In terms of exercise, I started a very, very slow walk about a week after my unilateral mx with the TE.  I'd say a slow 15 minutes in the am and 15 minutes in the pm.  After a month, I was up to an hour a day, at a pretty good speed.  Now, I do about an hour on the elliptical three or four times a week, or maybe just a good fast walk on the treadmill.  I have also been doing my Lotte Berk classes, which incorporate light weights (I use 3 and 4 pound weights) and a lot of core work.  I do find that I just have to listen to my body.  I can't really do push-ups, so do modified ones on my knees when the rest of the class is doing the regular pushups.  Down dog in yoga is definitely out...it hurt too much for days afterward.  Also, any of the lying on your stomach poses and positions are too hard.  I just try to listen to my body, if it hurts or feels too weird, then I stop. 

I'm already anxious about the exchange surgery, because I know I'll be back to square one, in terms of not being able to do any weights for a while, etc.  Oh well... 

• ngcm05
    ngcm05 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2009
    Options

Wow!  Just did the math.  I have 700 cc's in each, that is 46.4 ounces or 2.87 lbs.  Do we know if the implants are lighter????

GG

• Believe1
    Believe1 Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2009
    Options

Well, I will have to comment on that, although I do not yet have my implants.  I just finished my bi-lateral mast, with reconstruction using the expanders last Friday.  My first week will be up tomorrow and wont be getting my first fill for another two/ three wks or so,  although I just started I am soooo looking forward to the relief of implants.  I have heard expanders being referred to as tupperware bowls, and now that there in, that was a perfect way of putting it.  Ngcmo5, everything I have read so far, everyone says it gets better, and the implants are lighter, softer and feel and look much more normal than these darn Tupperware bowls we are waring.  I will say although I am sure it was a man who invented these things, without them we wouldn't be given the choice to look and feel normal again.

• Mykidsmom
    Mykidsmom Member Posts: 448
    edited February 2009
    Options

Well... that explains it then! I haven't actually gained weight, I've just gained cc's. What a relief!! Tongue out Really, I loved the question and I certainly did not know the answer. Thanks.

As for exercising. I find I simply cannot do push ups and cannot run, even lightly, with TE's. I don't know whether implants will be better. But I can walk, and I do walk about 3 miles each day. And I can hike and do light weight training, so I am able to stay sane.

Best wishes to everyone! - Jean

• winewitch62
    winewitch62 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2019
    Options

thank you for asking this question because I have wondered the same thing. I’m a few pounds heavier than I’d been my entire adult life, and my clothes don’t fit terribly considering. My expanders and fills feel like I’m wearing an underwire bra that is too tight, but I can’t take it off at the end of the day. They feel so heavy! Now I know it’s not all in my head.